Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have my surgery scheduled for dec. 11.. . But im still having doubts!

I'm 23 yrs. 5'4" weigh 205 lbs

I had gone to a plastic surgeon wanting to have some liposculpting done on me and basically he told that me I was too fat to have it done, not in those exact words but that's what he ment. He said that maybe it was better for me to go talk to gastric Sleeve doctor and that maybe when I lost weight I wouldn't even want anything done to my body.

So I went to a confrence where they talk about all the options they have to reduce your food intake and got supper excited! I chose the sleeve because they said it helps with diabetes also and since both my parents side hav e diabetes and high cho llesterol I imagined that would be the best way to go.

So then my mom went to another plastic surgeon and e plained everything that happened and he says that he doesnt recommend the sleeve for me because I am too young and because its not reversable and that he has seen patients that are fatter than and he was worked on them and had pretty good results. He said he has known patients that have had the sleeve and that are sick and need Vitamins and are too skinny.

I JUST WANT TO GET YOUR OPPINION... WHAT TO DO?

No one here can tell you "what to do"....we can only express what our own experiences have been. Personally, having the "sleeve" performed was a life-changing opportunity for me, and I would do it again, without hesitation. As for the last comments in your post, everyone who has any form of WLS will be required to take supplements (vitamins and minerals) for the rest of their lives. That is a given, and was never really an issue for me, when considering whether or not to have surgery. I chose the "sleeve" over "gastric bypass" primarily because there is no re-routing of the small intestines, and, therefore, a lower risk for malabsorption issues, following surgery. Yes, it isn't reversible...but why would I want my old stomach back?? It didn't do me any favors in life, now did it??

Do some research on WLS surgeons in your area, and make an appointment to go speak with the one you like best. Ask him your questions, and speak frankly with him regarding your concerns. And do as much research on the topic as you can. Only then, when you've gotten all your questions answered, and your concerns reassured, make the best, informed decision you can make....do what is best for YOU, and don't concern yourself with what anyone else thinks. As for liposuction....that may make you "look" thinner, but it isn't going to resolve the underlying issue...which is, ultimately, your relationship with food. (Yeah...that's just my opinion...take it for what its worth.) :)

Im 24 and my surgery is on December 21st. The reason im having the sleeve is because i want long term weight loss and i want to be healthy. Im not doing it just to lose a few pounds i want this surgery to change my life for the better and be more confident about myself. Plus, since i am so young i can have this for the rest of my life and keep my weight off. I guess you just need to think about what you really want. I wouldnt rush into a pretty serious surgery just for a few pounds. Just my opinion.

My opinion would be to NOT have the surgery. Yes the sleeve is great if you can't lose weight any other way but you don't have that much to lose so you could probably do it yourself or maybe hire a trainer at the gym. I would have never risked my life if it wasn't already in jeopardy. Good luck on your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

l having doubts! 23 years old - go talk to gastric Sleeve doctor - saw plastic surgeon, doesnt recommend sleeve

karely007

12/11/12 WLS - experienceing doubts ????

i feel you should go with your first wise decision/thought

you have your younger age in your favor - most "older" sleevers (30+ :o :lol: ) say how they wish they had done WLS years earlier

i was an old fart of 58 when i had my WLS :lol:

best thing i ever did - but wish i had been 23 years young when i had the procedure

need to be very committed, determined to have this procedure - if you think you'll go in to the hospital on a friday and go home on monday 100 lbs lighter??? think again!!!!{my mom thought that was what would happen to me]

the sleeve is here to help you lose the weight - you have to work with it for the rest of your life, but you have a lot to gain - and lose ;)

you have to change your food habits, small portions, drinking et al - but it will change the rest of your life for the better

you will become healthier during this process - i took diabetes meds/insulin - High blood pressure meds - wore CPAP - no longer

IMO plastic surgery shouldn't be done until AFTER you've had WLS

"they" say that your body will "settle" over the next couple of years

exercising during your weight loss period and after will help firm things up a bit, - then if you still need/want PS - great!!!

plastic surgeon who told you you weren't fat enough for the WLS - and he's worked on "fatter" people with good results??? not fat enough - left handed compliment :angry: OMG

if you have tried to lose weight a few times only gaining it back + , and if you have co-morbities that would qualify you for surgery - IMO go for it

good luck

I calculated your current BMI according to the measures you provided. It's 35 which would have you in the obese category however some insurance companies will not approve this surgery unless you have some comorbidities (high blood pressure, diabetes or prediabetes, high cholesterol, sleep apnea...just to name a few) to accompany this lower end of the BMI range. This is something you should look at as well in making your decision. I don't know if you are insured, but that maybe be a deciding factor for you. I personally would have the surgery before I developed the comorbidities. But that is something you would have to research. Good luck!

Karely- whatever your decision is, best of luck to you. I will tell you, make sure to do your research & ask lots of questions. Although we can't make the decision for you, do what's right for you. I personally had the sleeve & have never been happier. (Also, I have lost 40 pounds in 3 months & now have no comorbidities.)

Thsnks everyone for your input!

I think I am going to go through with the surgery... ill attach some pics I took today so we can track my weight together!

post-45350-13813661174721_thumb.png

post-45350-13813661175192_thumb.png

Hi Karely007! I'm in the same boat as you!

I met with my surgeon last week and he filled me with such great outcomes with his patients and testimonials. I know he is a great Dr. I was so excited to move forward with this until I went to my PCP to have her fill out insurance forms. She is very opposed to this, to say the least. She filled my head with a lot of negative things and now my head is reeling! People gaining the weight back, leaks, blood loss, etc, etc. She insists I need to try Weight Watchers to lose the 100+ lbs. Ive tried Atkins (many times), Ideal Protein, and countless diet pills. Always gaining the weight and more back. I'm young too and I want to better my life now.

I guess I really just need words of encouragement. haha! I still want to proceed with VSG and plan to do so! I'll have to figure a way to get those forms to her to sign... Did anyone else have these problems from their PCP? Someone also mentioned maybe a second opinion?

Thank you for anything you have to assist me!

Hi Karely007! I'm in the same boat as you!

I met with my surgeon last week and he filled me with such great outcomes with his patients and testimonials. I know he is a great Dr. I was so excited to move forward with this until I went to my PCP to have her fill out insurance forms. She is very opposed to this, to say the least. She filled my head with a lot of negative things and now my head is reeling! People gaining the weight back, leaks, blood loss, etc, etc. She insists I need to try Weight Watchers to lose the 100+ lbs. Ive tried Atkins (many times), Ideal Protein, and countless diet pills. Always gaining the weight and more back. I'm young too and I want to better my life now.

I guess I really just need words of encouragement. haha! I still want to proceed with VSG and plan to do so! I'll have to figure a way to get those forms to her to sign... Did anyone else have these problems from their PCP? Someone also mentioned maybe a second opinion?

Thank you for anything you have to assist me!

Sounds like you need to find a new PCP. It's very important that your PCP be supportive of your decision, because they're the doctor you're going to be working with, once you get beyond follow ups with your surgeon. You don't want that doctor to be constantly reminding you of the potential for failure....you want that person to be your biggest cheerleader! I wish you great success!! Laura

Sab,

I think you should look for another PCP. What they are telling you doesn't make a lot of sense, and I don't think that they really understand your (our) situation. It is easy to say..ah just go on a diet and the weight will go away...well that's true, but you have to look at the long term. Most of us have dieted, I've done WW 2 times, Medi, Learn to Lose, tried it on my own, did the shots, the pill, even did the ephedra cocktail (which does work). But in the end the weight always comes back. I am a Type II and I want that gone. Every day I am overweight, is one day diabetes is racking me up. That's my primary goal. If your PCP isn't concerned about your long term, then they probably aren't the best fit for you. My suggestion is to look for a PCP that has experience treating diabetics or the obese. My PCP actually does a lot of diabetic care. Now I haven't specifically brought him into my situtation yet, but I know he would have supported me if I had. If you have come this far, you know the risks, you know what could happen, but you also know what could happen if you don't make a significant change in your life and how you live it. To me WLS was just one part of the process. I still have mountains to climb, but I made a deal with myself that if I got through this surgery, nothing or no one (including myself) was going to stop me from my goals. Hang tough, you got this.. Take charge, the change won't be easy, as this surgery is NOT a magic bullet, but it you work if right, you'll be so much better for it!

If you could have lost the weight (and not regained it) you would have. The sleeve was for me the stop to endless yo-yo dieting or diets that just did not work. It's real surgery, can't change your mind after it, but it works. I think if you have serious doubts....wait. This is life changing and needs to be done only if you are almost certain (we all get scared) that there is no alternative. A person I know from my hometown is 21 and had sexual reassignment surgery last year (woman to man) all of us "bystanders" said WAY to young. But he(she) looks totally happy with the decision.

I use to weight 321lbs. I had a lot doubts about any bariatric surgery. After talking to my doctor and going to a post op support group meeting, I saw the benefits of the surgery. I had hypertension and diabetes.

Yes it is true that the sleeve is not reversible. Compared with the other surgeries, the sleeve has less complications. But the problem is that people think that the surgery is a quick fix. That you can continue to eat the same way you did before the surgery. Well that is not the case.

I had the sleeve on Aug 1, 2012. I have lost as of this morning 91 lbs. I have more energy and feel a lot better physically and emotionally. I no longer get the looks I use to get from people when I walk by. But the one thing I learned about this is it gave me a chance to change my eating habits. Why do the surgery if you are going to do the same things that got you in to trouble in the first place.

It is a tough decision but you are young and have your whole future ahead of you. Now is the time to change and improve your life. I do not regret having the procedure. My family and friends are happy for me. Also in December I am running in a 5k race. It is great being physically active again.

Good Luck and take care!!

Thank you everyone!

I'm definitely going to be changing PCPs. I think she had a very biased view as she even told me at my appointment that she hated the previous bariatric surgeon (who has since sold his practice and left town). So I'm not quite sure what happened there, sounded almost personal.

I really don't have any doubts (other than financial-and ill figure that out!). I'm excited to receive this tool to help me eat better, lose weight, and be healthy. I may not have diabetes, hypertension and all that now but I know I will if I don't change. And having a family history of cardiac disease scares me! So I'm calling today to set up my psych eval!

Thank you!

All I can say is that I'd do it again in a heart beat, would recommend it to anyone who struggled as I had with their weight all their life and I wish I could have done it years ago!

I started dieting at 9. If the sleeve had been out there 10 years ago, I probably would have had WLS much earlier. It was personal observation with GBS that had me fearful of WLS. That just wasn't for me - but I love my sleeve!