Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeons In The Nyc Area

Hey everyone out there..I have decided that I want to start the process of getting the gastric sleeve and wanted to know if anyone can recommend good surgeons in the nyc area.

Thanx

Hi Nikki, and welcome!

My surgeon is Dr. Beth Schrope, she has a practice both at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia in NYC and at The Valley Hospital in Ridgewood, NJ. (I'm in NJ) Very happy with her and her staff. My surgery is set for December 11. They offer informational seminars which I found very helpful when I was in my beginning stage.

Best of luck to you!

I have consulted with a Dr. Daniel Herron who is the Chief of Bariatric surgery at

the Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhatten.....already started on the program...on an 1800 calorie a day diet...will have to see other physicians for clearance...has anyone heard of him and his team ?

I used NYU Bartiatric Group - Dr. Christine Ren-Fielding. (I was a revision from lap-band to VSG). This a fabulous all around group! However, not sure where they are conducting surgeries right now, because Sandy hit NYU pretty bad.

thanks....I understand that this group is wonderful.....my brother had robotic surgery there on his kidney.. Dr. Daniel Herron at Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC has a comprehensive program and seems to have a fine bio with post graduate training.....the journey is long...... I also explored going to Mexico and looked at two surgeons there..... one of them was Alvarez hoowever, after researching well....I discovered that he has an upscale website without any post grad training or fellowship......only taken weekend seminars for CME credits in nice vacation spots around the USA and other countries......

btw: I had spoken to several people who were considering Mexico as an alternnative to surgeons in the USA,Canada,etc....what also changed my mind was..... a lady who was not able to get to Mexico( as a self pay patient0 due to the fact that she ended up in her local hospital because of a medical condition that neeed immediate treatment) she had already sent in her deposit to the coordinator and asked for the money back....the coordinator said that the money would not be returned to her( even though, she could not get to Mexico for the gastric sleeve operation at this time)

One wonders how cruel a coordinator could be?Not to return the $1,000 deposit to this poor lady who was already struggling with a medical condition and would be self pay......therefore, Alvarez and his coordinator would NOT be someone to have the surgery with.....is money what drives them?Where is the humanity?? People are already struggling on every level......

btw: I had spoken to several people who were considering Mexico as an alternnative to surgeons in the USA' date='Canada,etc....what also changed my mind was..... a lady who was not able to get to Mexico( as a self pay patient0 due to the fact that she ended up in her local hospital because of a medical condition that neeed immediate treatment) she had already sent in her deposit to the coordinator and asked for the money back....the coordinator said that the money would not be returned to her( even though, she could not get to Mexico for the gastric sleeve operation at this time)

One wonders how cruel a coordinator could be?Not to return the 1,000 deposit to this poor lady who was already struggling with a medical condition and would be self pay......therefore, Alvarez and his coordinator would NOT be someone to have the surgery with.....is money what drives them?Where is the humanity?? People are already struggling on every level......[/quote']

I had surgery with Dr.A and the paperwork we had to sign and consent to stated that the deposit is non refundable. You can reschedule for any reason at any time but they do not refund your money. I guess it is important to actually read the contract before you sign and agree to that. Dr. A is a great person but he runs a business and he has rules that you go by when you choose him for your surgeon. No US Dr would refund your money either. All of your posts on this forum bash Dr.A, I am assuming that you have never met him, or been operated on by him since you are still pre surgery. Not sure why you have an issue with him but hundreds of people have nothing but good things to say about him. People that actually KNOW him.

IF these individuals as you say....'really knew him', & would bother to truly investigate

this 'surgeon's credentials....they would come to understand that what he posts on his website as his post graduate training....is clearly NOT VALID.! Going to a variety of meetings sponsored by medical organizations for a weekend course is NOT post graduate training...a fee for the weekend course if paid for the CME's and a certificate is issued.....many of these 'courses ' are held at lovely resorts(nice to get a mini vacation at the same time and attend afew hours of the meetings)....a post graduate training for surgeons are atleast 2 to 3 years for Fellowships in a particular

field of surgery...and NOT, afew days at hotels to obtain CME's..... it is also a known fact, there there have been terrible outcomes with some of his patients......there is no recourse in Mexico if such a tragedy occurs.....and how terribly sad it is for the families.....and ofcourse, the patient....in the case of my relative--she did not do enough research prior to sending her $1,000 to the coordinator....she was also snowed by the glitzy website.....she did not look into his training fully....and his resume.....she had a serious issue with bleeding approx. 2 weeks prior to going to Mexico ...and was advised by her doctors in the USA....not to have the surgery.....

It was only the right and decent thing for the money to be returned to someone with this medical issue.....it would have been disastrous if the surgery were to have gone forward.....people who already struggle with serious weight problems must contend with so many things.....this is not a way to run a practice....I am glad that my relative

told the family what transpired....we are now trying to assist her....and hope to get the funds returned to her.....

IF these individuals as you say....'really knew him'' date=' & would bother to truly investigate

this 'surgeon's credentials....they would come to understand that what he posts on his website as his post graduate training....is clearly NOT VALID.! Going to a variety of meetings sponsored by medical organizations for a weekend course is NOT post graduate training...a fee for the weekend course if paid for the CME's and a certificate is issued.....many of these 'courses ' are held at lovely resorts(nice to get a mini vacation at the same time and attend afew hours of the meetings)....a post graduate training for surgeons are atleast 2 to 3 years for Fellowships in a particular

field of surgery...and NOT, afew days at hotels to obtain CME's..... it is also a known fact, there there have been terrible outcomes with some of his patients......there is no recourse in Mexico if such a tragedy occurs.....and how terribly sad it is for the families.....and ofcourse, the patient....in the case of my relative--she did not do enough research prior to sending her 1,000 to the coordinator....she was also snowed by the glitzy website.....she did not look into his training fully....and his resume.....she had a serious issue with bleeding approx. 2 weeks prior to going to Mexico ...and was advised by her doctors in the USA....not to have the surgery.....

It was only the right and decent thing for the money to be returned to someone with this medical issue.....it would have been disastrous if the surgery were to have gone forward.....people who already struggle with serious weight problems must contend with so many things.....this is not a way to run a practice....I am glad that my relative

told the family what transpired....we are now trying to assist her....and hope to get the funds returned to her.....[/quote']

I have never read of or heard about any "terrible outcomes" with patients of Dr. A. I have heard things about other surgeons in MX though. You have your issues with Dr.A and it is your choice to come on this forum and bash him and his practice. Those of us that have been there with him and his staff know the truth. We have experienced his skill at this surgery. You can say whatever you choose, if it makes you feel better. I know MANY people that would disagree with you.

The contract clearly states that the deposit is non refundable, at least mine did. I was also told that by the coordinator in the phone conversation. It does not state that it is refunded if you have a medical issue that prevents surgery after you had signed the contract. I have known of circumstances where patients were not able to be sleeved once they got to MX and they do not get on this forum and bash the surgeon. They accept the fact that the surgery was not able to be done because it would not have had a good outcome for them. Life goes on and they are not bitter about it. You however seem to be. I will not respond to your posts again. I will choose to know the truth about an excellent surgeon and continue to recommend him to those that have no insurance coverage for this surgery in the states.

Truth be told......this particular 'surgeon' clearly, has had serious and terrible outcomes....where families are left to grieve......and what an insincere way to run a 'practice' when a potential patient is told by her american doctors that it would be anethema to have the surgical procedure due to a bleeding disorder.......if, the surgery would have proceded....it might have been disasterous and litigious.....and, in Mexico a rather difficult undertaking....since, they do not have the protections for patients as in the USA.....

Before, youspout inaccuracies......do your homework and check with the Mexican

consulate....they know....!

Truth be told......this particular 'surgeon' clearly' date=' has had serious and terrible outcomes....where families are left to grieve......and what an insincere way to run a 'practice' when a potential patient is told by her american doctors that it would be anethema to have the surgical procedure due to a bleeding disorder.......if, the surgery would have proceded....it might have been disasterous and litigious.....and, in Mexico a rather difficult undertaking....since, they do not have the protections for patients as in the USA.....

Before, youspout inaccuracies......do your homework and check with the Mexican

consulate....they know....![/quote']

I find it interesting that all of your posts on VST have a reference in them to Dr.A and what a horrible surgeon that he is. Yet, When you research him, there is very little negative posted about him or his practice. I understand that you have some deep rooted issue with him but there are people that do research him daily and never come up with all the facts that you claim to "know" about him. I have a friend that is a Dr. In Mexico and she has never heard or been able to find anything bad about him either. Your opinion is just that, and we all have one. I do know that my experience and others that have been sleeved by him, was truly wonderful. You will never change my mind in knowing that this was the best thing that I have ever chosen to do for myself. My sleeve sister is from a very small town in AR where MANY have chosen him as their surgeon. Not one has ever been harmed, had serious side effects or had a bad experience. I will certainly be checking with the Mexican consulate to see what they know.

Hey everyone out there..I have decided that I want to start the process of getting the gastric sleeve and wanted to know if anyone can recommend good surgeons in the nyc area.

Thanx

I just had surgery last week with Cornell/NY Presbyterian. Dr. Gregory Dakin. Highly recommend.

I am in the process with Dr. Daniel Herron he is at Mount Sinai Hospital and Medical Center in NYC......

Dr Roslin at Lenox hill. So far I live him. Haven't read anything bad about him except that his office has a wait and they are a little disorganized. I had my consult with him and got very honest answers and I feel like I have realistic expectations. Lenox hill is an amazing hospital

Don't know about specific surgeons but i'm from Manhattan and i can tell you what i know personally from going to all these hospitals in hopes to speed my process since it was taking so long:

NY Presbyterian Dr. Blesser: Pist me off because after a year and 2 months into pre-op process they stopped taking my insurance (health first) 2 weeks before i got my surgery date. Appointments are set within 1 1/2-2 months (thats too Long). They also tell you what you what you need for pre-op and then you have to go to your PCP to get referrals.

St Lukes: Receptionist rude (might not be there anymore) they only have one seminar a month so if your lucky you wont get booked out the for 2 months. To schedule certain exams certain clinics don't answer the phone and when you schedule the appointment (within the hospital) it might be 3-4 months. EX. i tried to see the Pulmonary doctor in April 2012 and was scheduled for July 2012.

Harlem Hospital: REFERRAL MANDATORY. Appointments scheduled 3-5 weeks. No seminar needed just a support group. They give you ALL your referrals and they can all be done in the hospital. Your required to lose 20 lbs before surgery (w/ NUT). If you lose the amount of weight your surgeon wants you to lose he/she will do plastic surgery on you (boobs or tummy tuck) at no cost.

Lenox Hill: Seminar and guarantees surgery within 2- 3 months of first visit.

Montefiore: Pretty good with follow ups. MANDATORY SEMINAR AND REFERRAL. Process is toooooo tooo Long! Everything will be spread out withing a couple of months like 3 months of nut, 4 support groups, all other exams, etc.

Mt. Sinai: Dr. Chin (my surgeon... Sleeved on 3.19.2013) Sent all my paperwork to his office after Columbia Presbyterian practically just screwed me over. Made me see a NUT. Surgery scheduled 3 weeks later.

It all depends on your insurance and on your personal health. This was just my experience and useful information i feel like i could provide. My advice to you is to try different clinics until you find the one that makes you feel comfortable. Columbia Presbyterian does not hold your hand they just throw you out there and your on your own. Harlem and Monti, st Luckes are hospitals that will do most exams in their hospital.

Yes you'll be in a lot of appointments but if you can try them all out go for it. GOOD LUCK!!!!