Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Five Days Out...and Here Is My Story

My sleeve date was Nov. 19th! I'm home and learning about my new life. Before my surgery it helped to read the different post about the surgery and take all that information in. So I'll add two cents!

The weekend before surgery I was getting pretty antsy. My husband took care of that! Movies, church, manicures and pedicures...he was with me and kept me busy and he kept telling what a good choice I was making...love him.

Morning of surgery in the hospital by 6:30 for baseline blood work. Oh dear, maybe a little dehydrated...maybe a little nervous but I almost passed out while they were drawing blood. So drink up and don't look...it's never bothered me before but it did that day! Good news it passed within five minutes!

The next part was a whirlwind! Some paperwork, start my IV, saw the doctor, hubby in the room, kisses, and then rolling up to surgery! Started asking me what I did over the weekend, said I went to see

Lincoln and it was a great movie and boom....I'm waking up in recovery!

The rest of Monday was a bit rough because of my meds... I didn't gell well with all the pain meds and the patch behind my ear! I ripped that patch off and quit taking the pump I asked for just meds for the nausea. I walked about every two hours all night and took several gas x strips. By the morning...nausea was lifting!

Bottom line...don't be afraid to ask, walk, and do what is best for you!

Leak test was on Tuesday morning...it was fast...they got me in and out quickly. Doctor came by and wanted me to stay a second night. Did a lot more walking and resting between the bed and the recliner in the room. I'm glad a had my pillow it probably was mental, but it helped me rest! And oh yes the clear liquid diet...best sugar free Popsicle ever! In fact it seemed too sweet!

What did I need at the hospital? Brought my light weight housecoat and I used it. Slippers....I ended up just staying in their socks. Gas x strips were golden. My pillow, my I pad and phone because you can only watch hospital tv for so long!

Most important....if possible bring a supportive person!! I spent time telling my husband about what was going to occur, my fears, and hopes. It was nice to have him to help out so much!

So now I'm home learning to get everything in which takes some planning. But I'm doing it! I'm out walking, and taking everything one day at a time. I'm thankful.

You are so lucky to have a husband like that. Cherish him. Mine goes to work everyday same time and comes home and wants to know if I want to go out and eat. I'm on pre-op diet so he means go out and watch me eat. I may drive myself to the hospital because he probably won't even ask when or where hasn't so far and it is Wednesday.

Wonderful post, thanks for sharing your experience.

It sounds like you are doing great! I agree, the support person is KEY. My husband is my support person and is amazing. My surgery was 11/8 and yesterday I got to sit down with my husband and brother-in-law for Thanksgiving dinner.

My hubby made a beautiful plate of pureed turkey, mashed potatoes and light gravy, pureed peas and small helping of mashed sweet potatoes. I focused first on the Turkey (to get my protein), it was surprisingly wonderful. I ate all the turkey (1.5 ozs) and a small bite of everything else. The saltiness of the food was HEAVEN! I am not a "sweets" person, so I was growing very tired of just Protein Shakes. I also am having greek yogurt (vanilla flav), then we add a little honey and some cinnamon & nutmeg to it this morning. Such a nice change of pace.

Keep your support person close to you and I also suggest writing in a journal. I started mine about 5 days before surgery. It is a good way to record your thoughts and feelings. I look forward to writing in mine each day. On days I don't feel so great, I've read back through the old posts and realize how much progress I have made.

Good luck to you!

Ruth's life. That us awesome. Keep walking it out. You're destined for greatness. And blessings to your hubby for being so supportive. I have a supportive husband too, it definitely helps.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches