Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow This Is Amazing.... So Many People With Similar Stories.

I had my band put in about 2 yrs ago and yes it went well for a while and yes i thought it was the best thing ever. I lots about 30kgs to start with cloths were starting to fit I started to feel good my knee even started to heal. Then my doctor decided that my ever so complicated port was getting harder and harder to access. Shes sent me back to the surgeon and off i went on the down ward spiral to me having the band out and deciding to have the sleeve done.

(for those that have bands my port had lost is clips the frist times stiches the second and flipped over after that first op I the tollarating food just got worse)

I was always having issues with tolerating food. Alot of food I just couldnt eat, alot of food was wasted as i spent a lot of time in the bathroom throwing up. day in day out Breakfast lunch or dinner. it didnt matter. finally after putting the 30 kgs back on and dealing with the day to day issues of putting 30kgs on I was back at 150kgs and was feeling worse then before the band was put in.

My surgeon tested to see if the band had slipped and the swollow came back fine. there was no reason for me not to be losing weight. He sent me away and told me try sticking to strict diet. But even with the healthy food I was still spending a good part of my day in the bathroom with my head in the toilet. It got to the point where my friends were asking me if i was belimic(at 150kgs) I dont think so.

thats was about 15weeks ago. I booked in to see my doctor and said enough is enough its time to take it out before i got nuts dealing with this thing. I asked him what are my options. I thought Bi pass sounded better the other option was sleeving. So as he does he sent me away with the information and said when you decided what you want to do ill book you in to have the band out.

Today Im 17 days to my op day to have the sleeve done. I got the band out and about 8 weeks ago and i had to wait 10 weeks before he would do the sleeve. so now im counting down to sleeve day NERVOUS AS HELL HOPING I HAVENT MADE THE WRONG CHOICE.

What could be we worse the throwing up every day I guess.

Anyway now i wait to have it. Its good to see that i wasnt the only one the band hasnt worked for though. It was pitched as the best thing for weightloss and now im having a surgery that isnt reversable.

I would like to know from those that have had the band out and the sleeve done. does it feel different. My doctor tells me its a different feeling all together that yes similar eatting rules apply but its not that back up feeling you get with the band.

anyway Im hoping everything goes well with my op and everyone else due to have theres.

I would love to hear from anyone in the same poistion

Sarah

Your doctor's described it right I think. First of all, all my comments are referring to after you are say 8 weeks or more out...

Alot less hunger. In the early months, zero hunger

No pain, no vomiting, no food restrictions/food getting stuff

Dense Protein satisfies, without causing pain

Can eat salads and other troublesome food - no risk of a small opening being covered or blocked like with the band.

Just feels like having a small but fairly normal tummy that is no longer a bottomless pit.

You still have to work at it, you can fail with the sleeve but it just doesn't have the hassles of the band and more importantly it doesn't have the "punishment" kind of thing with the vomiting.

I had my band to sleeve revision on Nov 6. I was never able to get the adjustment right, had lost some weight in the beginning with the band but gained it all back.

My doctor explained that the "full" feeling was going to be very different with the sleeve, and that some who had a band previously had a difficult time since its not a restrictive full like with the band. I just started puréed yesterday, brought my bullet blender to my sister's house for dinner with my family. I had puréed ham (don't like turkey), brussel sprouts, and a very little bit of dressing and sweet potatoes. I ate with a baby spoon. During dinner we all chatted and caught up, and I scared myself because I wasn't really paying attention to how much or how fast I was eating. Luckily I did not over do it, set my spoon down between bites and chewed each bite well. I did not get a "full" feeling but was not hungry either. Ate some leftovers last night, probably less than 1/4 cup total, again did not feel full nor hungry. Today for lunch had some more leftovers, added some puréed broccoli casserole. After 6 or 7 baby spoon bites I got a new feeling, middle of my chest, not a pain exactly. I do believe this is my full feeling!

My advice is to take it slow, and listen to your body. I knew that I would not be able to lose weight and keep it off without doing this, and am looking forward to a lighter future. Best of luck to you!

Hi Sarah,

I had my band removed and the sleeve done on the same day, 10/9/12. I am now nearly 7 wks post op and doing very well. I did not have any issues at all but I will tell you this. The first month after surgery was the most difficult for me. Once a month was up, I was great!

The full feeling that I get is different than what you felt with the band and NO MORE STUCK FOOD!!! That was my biggest problem as well. I was throwing up constantly too. You will get more of a full sensation that moves up your stomach instead of out so eat slow because if you over do it you will throw up too. I had a lot of nausea the first month and still do sometimes when I eat something that doesn't agree with my new stomach but it passes.

You will definately be happy with your choice. It is sooooo much better than the band. Last I checked I have lost a total of 29 pounds which I am very happy with.

Good luck Sarah and I wish you all the best!

Sue

It is definately a different feeling. To me the band was always san uncomfortable feeling. I had a revision a month after getting the band; my port flipped. Two years after having it I was getting pnemonia frequently and had gained back more than I lost. My band was placed to high, it ulcerated, and I was aspirating food. So out it went. I am only 6 weeks post op sleeve and I believe that I made a wise decision by having the surgery. However, I will tell you that it is mentally challenging. You may not have as much problem as I am in that aspect since you weren't able to eat much with your band but I feel like I've gone through a bad break up. It's the hardest thing I've ever done and I've quit smoking cold turkey 10 yrs ago. It is worth it though. I've lost 53 lbs that I wouldn't have done without the sleeve. Good luck to you! You ARE doing the right thing!

Hi Sarah! I had some of the same problems and will be seeing a new surgeon this Friday to discuss removing the band and revising to the sleeve. I too thought the band was great in the beginning and lost weight, but I was either too tight or too loose. There was no "sweet spot" for me. I was kidding myself by saying it was a good thing. I too was throwing up constantly. There were days that I couldn't even get liquids down and still others I could eat tons. Finally several months ago, I lost all restriction. I'm guessing I have a leak. I thought I'd try to lose the weight by myself, but of course that's a lost cause. I just got fed up with being sick all the time. With my band, anything healthy (lean meats, veggies, fruits) made me sick as a dog. I finally just stopped eating so I wouldn't be sick. That's not healthy either. I just wanted to be able to eat healthy foods and keep them down. But of course now I'm never full...ever.

I'm now having a lot of port pain that is new and different. I'm seeing a new surgeon as the one who did my band never listened nor did his staff. I've been doing a lot of research and have pretty much decided on the sleeve. I feel very sad and frustrated as I thought I was doing the right thing 4 years ago by getting the band. I'm just ready to get back on track. Good luck and keep us posted on your journey!