Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnancy Question

I was just banded 09/27/06 and have lost 15 pounds. I found out yesterday that I was pregnant before the surgery. Of course now I am very concerned about the baby. Has this happened to anyone else out there?

awe, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! What awesome news!

Yep - we have a couple of bandsters that are preggo's (or just had one). You may look up PinkMary & Lioness, they are a few months along.

So far, Ive heard of nothing bad happening to mom or baby.

Good luck! and keep us posted with baby news!

Congratulations.:clap2:

They say every 10# we lose, affects our hormones and our fertility - so you're a prime example of that.

I have no first hand knowledge of this (I'm very single, whew! :guess ) but lots of other LapBandTalk members have been there.

Since so many Bandsters have been in your situation (do a keyword search here for PREGNANCY and you'll see the many threads about it) and please know that we have a bunch of very healthy Bandster Moms and Bandster Babies here.

That's what's great about this tool - it can be adjusted to accommodate any situation.

You'll do fine.

I think you guys missed what she was saying. She was pregnant BEFORE the surgery, not that she got pregnant afterwards. So the question is what did the anesthesia during surgery do to the developing baby?

kmillsap, I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else, at least on these boards. I would think your doctor should have had blood drawn before the surgery and had tests done, unless you were so early in the pregnancy that it was too soon to show up in the blood tests. I'm no expert, but if that's the case I think it's actually good news, because it's not a critical organ-development time for the baby. But I'm not completely sure; I think you need to talk to your ob/gyn about it. You can rest assured, however, that there are plenty of women who have undergone other surgeries while pregnant and, while it's not the ideal situation, have had perfectly healthy babies.

You and your precious baby will be in our family's prayers.

I'm no expert either, but if you're only a few weeks along, I doubt the developing fetus was in any danger.

Take good care of yourself and forget about getting a fill until you've given birth. Right now you need to feed your little angel :)

Good luck and keep us posted :)

I had to have surgery when I was 3 months pregnant years ago and no problems whatsoever. My daughter is now 21 with a one year old daughter of her own. You'll be fine.

Good morning! I've never posted before but I'm pregnant too and I can understand all of your worries. I had a fill a day after conception and my Doc does them under fluoro! So, I was freaking out. My OBGYN assured me that there is some type of all or nothing rule. That if I didn't immediately miscarry, then I should be fine. I hope the same is true for you too! Good luck and a healthy baby to us both. I'm 14 weeks pregnant today and I was banded in January of this year. I had lost 53 lbs and then boom, I was pregnant! Great news for me because at 38, I wasn't getting any younger!

Angela - New Jersey

Calling kmillsap! You were on my mind this morning. How are you doing? I've been praying for you and your baby. Please update us!

My sister has 4 kids and had to have a surgical poceedure for both of her last 2 pregnancies, no problems at all. Take care of yourself and the little one, stay around here, there are others that are pregnant or wanting to become pregnant that can benefit from your experiences. We are here to help anyway, support, friendship, whatever you need. ~Mandy

I wanted to say...congrats on the baby. I hope you are both doing well. I am not in quite the same boat, I got pregnant 2.5 weeks after my band surgery...what a surprise! A good one so I am searching through the pregnancy files to see how others have done. I hope you do the same and keep asking any questions that you have.

Heather