Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Date Is 01/08/13 ! Help With Clots And Leaks: Have To Do Liquid Diet For 6 Weeks Per Md. I Have Questions And Concerns. Please Help

so i have my date and of course i am freaking out. i am nervous about death and bad reactions and leaks and blood clots. i freak myself out so bad because i read about nightmares.

i am trying my best to lose some weight before hand. i just want to be ok for my new baby girl.

i know after surgery they will put the air boots on my legs and give me blood thinners to prevent clots and stuff but how long do i have to worry about clots and leaks?

once the staples heal and dissolve am i free from leaks forever?

how about blood clots and DVT ??

i know i will have to walk for like 10 minutes every hour or so.

any help or input or advice is greatly appreciated thanks

Hello,

I was very nervous about the same things. You will be fine. Just remember to following the post op diet. Try to get enough Protein and Water in. Your tastes will change after surgery. Nothing tasted right to me. That will slowly improve. Write down all of your questions and concerns then talk with your doctor about them.

Turns out that I'm allergic to morphine so I had hard dry heaves a lot the night of surgery. I was scared that I ripped open my sleeve but it didn't. Don't get scared if you get sick at your stomach. If mine survived that first night in the hospital then you should be fine. I have titanium staples (they don't dessolve) in my sleeve. The dr also put a stitch between each staple.

Don't eat steak or hotdogs, etc until you are at the right stage. There was a lady that had the sleeve about two weeks after I did and she ate a hotdog. It caused her to throw up and it caused a leak. When I went in for my 2mo check up she was still in the hospital. Anyone is in danger of blood clots if they don't move around.

Try to relax and focus on your future and baby. Read about all of the positive things about the surgery. I was off of my pre-diabetic and high blood pressure pills the second week of my pre-op surgery. I'm able to walk a lot better. I still have arthritis but it's nothing like it was. When you get nervous think of how much better you will feel to be able to play with your baby and she will have a healthier mommy.

I pray things will get easier.

As someone who had a massive post-op portal vein thrombus (clot), and as a nurse, I can tell you that there is ALWAYS a chance for clots post-surgery. Check with your surgeon as to their particular anti-thrombic plan. Plan to walk, walk, walk as much and often as you can during that post op period, make no excuses. Even with perfect care, things can happen, and that is certainly an aspect to come to peace with prior to surgery. Make no mistake - this is major surgery.

As a side note - if you are on ANY form of chemical birth control, you need to discuss with your surgeon and PCP the possibility of going off of it several weeks prior to surgery. Despite discontinuing my method (weeks prior to my surgery date), my medical team now believes that was the catalyst that caused my body to form post-op clots.

As far as leaks, perhaps someone else can chime in regarding their experiences.

SIX WEEKS???? WHAAAAAAT???

I was worried too about leaking and blood clots. I got up 6 hours after surgery and walked around the unit. I walked a lot. 16 hours after surgery my surgeon wanted to discharge me. I asked to spend one more night and he said ok. My advice is to walk and move a lot. Am now 13 days post op and have lost 18 pounds. I am still on a liquid diet. I have to be on liquid diet for 5 weeks. I am not hungry at all and forget to eat. I used to e so jealous of people when they said that. Now I finally know what it's lik!e. week 6 of pst op is puréed foods. But right now I focus on where I am at. I should be eating 800 cal a day. I am lucky to get in 400 and I am satisfied. I should have thrre Protein Drinks made with skim mil and one yogurt i have 2 shakes and a yogurt right now ii get my Protein powdwer from my doctor. It's called Rutein But I worry about healing and not leaking more than eating a food that could Casey so much trouble. Down the road I will get he food I desire and hopefully at a smaller quantity. I have no desire o go off track and eat. Focus on why you are having the surgery. I am so pleased I did it and worked through my fears. You will too-- good luck!

I know it seems long but right now I have no interest in eating. I want to lose weight. I am not craving anything and I feel great. This is the first time in my life I have not been hungry. I figure that I want to give my stomach time to heal properly. The food will always be there. I'm in no rush. When I left my 1 week post op visit. My doctor said to me it's up to you now. You can make it or break it. I told him I was going to makebik. I don't want to let him down!

My husband was more afraid for me than I really was! He thought I was going to die. I was not afraid. I trusted my surgeon. I even told him my husband thought I was going to die. he told me 1-2% of people leak. Besides trusting my surgeon, I took pain medication, rested a lot. I walked around my hospital floor. My surgeon wanted to discharge me after the first night but I asked to stay another night and he said ok. Don't lift anything, don't cook or clean for anyone. My family was so understanding and pampered me for two weeks. Don't eat what you shouldn't. My surgeon has me on liquids for six weeks post op. This gives the stomach a chance to heal. It will be swollen and sore so give it time. Drink fluids so you don't get dehydrated. Once I got to two weeks post op I was pretty confident I was not going to leak. But if at anytime you just don't feel right or your pain cannot me on trolled with oral medication, call your doctor. I had a spirometer in the hospital. I used it 10 times every hour I was awake. This helps prevent pulmonary embolisms. Walk as much as you can. Oh, and if you are nauseated ask for medication. don't be uncomfortable if you don't have to be. Lastly, I am not overly religious but I asked the Lord to be with me and to keep me calm. I think it helped. You will do fine and you will be so happy with your new life. It's worth it. Good luck and keep up the great work!!

I was just approved for Jan 9th at Penn Hospital. I am anxious and worry about clots but I have faith in my Dr

I was wondering does the drainage tube come out at hospital? I was just approved today and I am busting with excitement. I hope to find friends I can follow and talk .