Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain and Numb Skin?

Hi everyone,

My husband, who was banded in March 2006, has a strange occasional pain about 2" below his port and the skin above where he's experiencing the pain is numb.

He describes the pain as a burning sensation, but it is only noticable if he bends over or stretches. The pain started the day after he got his last fill.

Has anyone experienced this? We're guessing that the woman who did the fill hit a nerve. She was new and had to "dig around" to find the port (my husband's words...ich).

He's calling the surgeon tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this?

Thanks

Hmmm. Only after surgery - the incisisions felt a little numb, then tingly as they started to heal and finially I wanted to scratch the h@!! out of them. Sounds like maybe a nerve was hit. Let us know what you find out. It will be interesting to know.

Terry :rolleyes:

DH finally has an appoint with his band surgeon on Monday. The pain has expanded and now covers about the size of a grapefruit around his port and the skin numbness has expanded with it. There still doesn't seem to be any infection though, so it will be interesting to see what might be causing it.

I'll provide info on what they find, if anything.

DH saw his band surgeon yesterday. The tentative conclusion is that the fill center hit a nerve when they were injecting the numbing shot.

The surgeon had never had someone with these symptoms in his practice so he did quite a bit of research and this is the only thing he can come up with. If the pain isn't gone within a month, DH is to go in for a follow-up.

I experienced nerve damage during surgery but it happened to my leg. Apparently they have to strap you down to the OR table and the belt must've damaged a nerve. At any rate...my experience felt just like you are describing. If nerve damage is the case then the good news is...the burning sensation will eventually go away but the numbness lasted about six months. There are prescriptions that will supposedly help calm down those weird sensations so I agree that you should discuss it with the surgeon. Good luck!!

I had the same pain you described but mine started just after surgery. The best way i could describe it is that I am like sensitive times ten in that area. Just brushing my finger across it felt like a brillo pad. Thank godness that has subsided after about a month. It was a very strange feeling. I hope there is no more pain.