Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Eval.... What To Expect?

The final piece of my surgery requirements is almost here.... my psych eval. What should I expect? Do you all have any advice?

I'm hoping for everything to go smooth and easy. I'm a nervous wreck... please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I'm hoping for a late January surgery date. I have anthem ohio bcbs- ppo

The questions are pretty basic. I had an interview which I think just basically analyzed that I knew what I was getting into and didn't have any major issues. Just relax and be honest. Then I had a huge multiple choice test with some really bizarre questions like which magazine is most appealing. Not sure what that was judging lol.

Mine was similar to TraceyC's....except one of the questions was "do you talk to ghosts?"...odd

Hi,

Be careful with this. I mentioned that I sometimes stress eat so the psychiatrist wouldn't clear me at first until I worked through these issues. So I went to counseling, went back to the psychiatrist, and he cleared me, but I lost a few months along the way. I did learn some things about my eating habits, yes, but I was still not too happy about that roadblock.

Caroline

I had to answer around 400 questions that ranged from questions about hearing voice, thinking people were following me, if I like certain types of magazines, if I loved my parents if I ever wanted to hurt anyone. A lot of the questions seemed to focus around my mood, and mental state of mind, and I think the other questions like about magazine, or wanting to be a nurse were test questions. I know the questions seem pointless when it comes to WLS but I think it's to see how you are mentally. After WLS we go through a lot hormonally and emotionally and that could effect our mood, and mental health. If we are showing signs of this before surgery it might worsen after.

As far as my interview with the psychologist it was very laid back, and nice actually. Mine was awesome. I he really did good at focusing on WLS, and making sure I knew what I was getting into. And he really focused on my support system. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be! lol