Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1500 calories in 12 ounces of food? How will I do that?

I'm a little stressed out because my nutrionist has told me that I will need to eventually (still in mushie stage right this moment) reach a 1500 calorie intake.

I just don't understand how I'm supposed to do that. Right now I'm taking in as much as I'm allowed and it's 500 calories or less.

Even when I'm allowed to eat anything I want, I can't imagine getting 1500 calories...unless it's a Big Mac or something equally bad for me!

Am I just dumb? :help:

I absolutely did not get in 1200 calories. During the mushie stage I consumed 500 -600 calories per day. I felt I would have had to eat every hour to get in 1200 calories. The other problem was that I could not get that much food down at that time. I just made sure I took two flinstone Vitamins daily.

I don't know how long before you start solids,but once I started eating a normal diet, I was able to eat a lot more. I now eat 1000 calories a day. I could eat more, but I choose to stay on a 1000 calories/day diet.

Em, I love your ticker! And I'm definitely going to check out that challenge because that's the first I've heard of it.

My surgeon says 3 meals a day and no Snacks, and the meals can never be over 4 ounces...even once I'm on solids.

If I were allowed to eat as many times as I wanted, I would absolutely be able to hit that mark. I haven't had any problem with keeping anything down.

I'm really curious how many people here are eating Snacks.< /p>

I am approaching the 6 month mark, and don't now, nor have I ever since banding ate 1500 calories every day. I am sure at one point I was able to eat that on occasion, but never daily. Now, after 2 fills, I have good restriction, I do not know exactly how many calories I do get in a day, I just try to make good choices. I eat mostly Protein, but don't consider anything off limits. I am happy with how I eat now. I eat very small meals, but a good variety, I feel I eat healthy, nutritious food. The biggest difference I have found is the lack of hunger. Since banding I just am not hungry, so I can make wise choices without the driving NEED to eat.

It seems to me that you would have to really pick up the exercise to consume that much daily...at least for me it would be that way.

Maybe your nutritionist could give you some sample menus to go over, and you could try it. Like you it seems they are going to have to be some really high calorie meals to pack 1500 calories a day into 3 meals of no more than 4 ounces. I'd like to see the menu....makes me wonder if the nutritionist has thought that through!!! Let us know!! ANd for now, eat as healthy as you can, keep up your Fluid intake, and concentrate on getting adequate protein...and relax, and enjoy the weight coming off....this band is AWESOME!!!

Kat

Well that's just plain stupid if you ask me, lol. It forces you into unhealthy food choices - calorie dense high fat foods to get in the calories.

If it were me I'd totally ignore any rules about numbers of meals/sizes of meals and eat when I was hungry, till I wasnt hungry, how ever many times a day that is. I wouldnt worry about the fact that some days I'd reach 1500 and some days I wouldnt and I've never counted a Protein gram in my life either.

Of course not everyone would be comfortable with that but my point is, that's the way I eat and it hasnt stopped me losing. Rules are often just your surgeon's own personal viewpoint, and in no way are they universally "right" for everyone. Rules like that make it difficult to waste your stomach space on low calorie foods that your body needs, like fruit and vegetables which is idiotic.

Go for nutrition and health. I wouldn't necessarily strive to hit 1500 calories unless it was comfortable and healthy. Just an opinion.