Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Story ...sleeved November 9Th And Home November 11 Th

Hello all. I was sleeved at 7am on November 9th. I arrived at the hospital at 5:30 AM and was checked in and rushed into pre-op area where I undressed and gowned up and had the usual talks with my doctor and such. I was given a quick acting injection that would make me comfortable before going into the operating room. WOW, was it ever quick. Immediately I could feel my head swimming and then i was wheeled out the door to surgery room. I barely remember getting on the table and then nothing. The next thing i remember was being aware that someone was there with me and I told them I was in pain. The lady said, "you are hurting? " I shook my head yes and then there was no more pain. She told me she was taking me back to my room to see my family. The next thing i remember was my family talking and getting out of the way so they could push me into my room. I don't remember much until about 2 PM and at this point they changed my pain medicine to Tylenol with codeine . I was much more awake. I do remember that at first when i woke up my tummy area felt like an 18 wheeler ran into it ...very heavy feeling. By afternoon time i was just very sore but up and walking by 2 pm. I asked for a binder and got one. it made walking much easier. I had to walk every two hours. My mouth was very very dry and i was allowed to have ice chips to suck on and they helped. The next day I felt worse. Slightly nauseated and just overall sick feeling. They over hydrated me with IV bags and my body was swelling up horribly. I explained to them that they needed to stop because my blood pressure would get very high. It did, it got up to 175 over ? cant remember. I went down at 9 am for my leak test......upper Gi . i had to drink a small amount of clear liquid....horrible tasting. I took a sip and then they asked for another so i drank the rest of what was left and they got good pictures. My doctor was there watching and spoke to the doctor who did the test...he then reported to me that it showed NO leaks ! I was wheeled back to my room and started sipping Water every 6 minutes with a time...its gets old quick....

My doctor normally used a size 32 bougie and i asked for a 40 , the largest size as I did not want issues with dehydration. I have no problems drinking at all. I can down a 20 oz bottle of water in two hours if I just sip every few minutes. I got all of my 64 oz of water in yesterday and even 8 oz of Unjury chicken Soup Protein Powder with water. I can eat Jello and the sugar free popsicles if i want but the taste of sugar was disgusting. A nurse tried to give me a popsicle in the hospital after my upper Gi so i could get the taste out of my mouth....It was so bad that i had to take my robe and wipe my tongue off.....super yuk. At this point i wanted nothing but water. I was afraid the chicken soup might not sit with me but its ok. Im now drinking cold chicken soup injury as I type this for you all.

On Sunday morning my doctor came to see me again and asked me how I was, and i was released. I did run a 99 degree fever the day before that had everyone worried but I know think it might have been a hot flash as Im not on my hormones LOL! It went away so quickly. I showered and all the garb was taken off...iv and such...Yeah !

I wa suprised to see staples all over after the bandages were taken off. I had 6 incisions one being much larger than the rest....maybe inch and a half or smaller....it got steri strips put on as soon as the staples were removed.

I freaked when i saw the staplesthinking i was going to be in a lot of pain when they took those off. It wasnt bad...only one or two actually hurt. We had a nice drive home.....I was dreading the long 2 1/2 drive but it was so relaxing . I was lucky enough to have heated seats in my car so i cranked that up and it fixed my sore back. the hospital beds are hard on your back. I only had one nurse from hell and let her know right away that i expected to be treated in a better way. I never saw her again...

My advice is this.........dont leave your valuables alone at any time ! I took my ipad and then sent it off with my husband immediately. I kept my iphone but let me tell you the stares i got scared me. I have an ipohne 5 but you'd have thought I had a million dollars the way they looked at it. I made sure i kept it in my robe pocket all the time. they did steal my charger cord on the first night I was there. I had it plugged in so that I could reach it without moving.....It was gone by morning, most probably got it when i had to go walk or when i was sleeping. Iphone charge cord are of great value because they are so hard to come by right now. You cant just walk into the store and buy one because they sell out so quick...short supply. So I am without a phone now.....oh well, God was good, all our prayers were answered and i had an easy time. Only slight nausea and never had to throw up and I can get my liquid down....I am happy that I was brave enough to do this when so many were angry with me for wanting it. I'm not sad about missing the turkey or special holiday foods.......They will be there next year when I might just have a taste of them...meanwhile i will be healthier and happier . i once was addicted to cigarettes and left those to be come addicted to food and now i leave food and will happily turn to clothes addiction !

I pray that my story calms your fears and makes your own journey a bit lighter . God be with you as He was with me !

Good to hear you are doing well! Thanks for sharing

Congrats!! You are on your journey to a healthy you. Thank you for sharing your story.I feel more encouraged now the closer it gets to being approved. Paper work was submitted last wk, so hopefully any day now I will have an approval and surgery date. I am so happy for your sucess story. Thanks for the tip about the pocket on the robe. I had a c-section with my last child 21 years ago. I can relate to the tummy pain. I remember, feeling like a butched hog. When the nurse came in I told her that. She said," sweetie you just had major surgery". It does get better day by day and especially after walking and getting a shower. I rember my first shower I dropped the soap, :angry: I was so sore. This time I will use body wash :wub: . Wishing you speedy recovery. :D