Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do Any Of You Feel Guilt?

this is so weird. i am SO excited about this surgery. finally feeling like there is light at the end of this weight tunnel. i received my date on friday, december 10, woohoo! i am now starting to tell close friends and family. but as i say it out loud to them i feel such a feeling that i gave up and now its come to having to have surgery to get my weight under control. everyone has been so supportive and feels i am making the right decision. is that a normal feeling to feel that way? i almost feel defeated. its hard to explain...

I totally feel this way too. My family is supportive, but they have a sort of "your taking the easy way" out attitude. I know this is not the "easy way" from all the research I've done and by cruising this site. We are just trying to lose weight and get our lives under control, so why feel guilty?

The reality is....this is NOT an "easy way out"!! You will need to be so diligent regarding your diet, and work so hard, physically (exercising)....the only difference is that you will be limited in terms of how much you can eat, and whether or not you feel "hunger". If you have it in your head that this is a cop out, you need to get that thought right out of there!! You are taking advantage of an amazing gift...the "sleeve"...and getting your health, and your life, back under control. GOOD FOR YOU!!! Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. You know why you've come to this decision, and you know its the right decision for you....that's all that matters!

The only time I feel even remotely uncomfortable talking about my choice, and my progress, is when I'm talking with a loved one who is also in desperate need to lose weight, but hasn't been able to lose through dieting (and refuses to even consider the possibility of surgery as a solution). Its difficult to scream from the mountaintop, in celebration of my own success, when I know they're struggling, and failing, in their own journey. Unfortunately, I can't do much to help them...all I can do is help myself. And so....I keep on celebrating my little successes, and hope that maybe those successes will motivate others, in some small way.

I wish you great success in your own journeys!

Laura

ahhhhhhh,

look at the people who tell you about it, Dr's, nurses, office poeple, and supportative friends. So, see that of some they light up ! Because they know it works, can be life changing and is effective for you. I think about it and need the help a bit too now that you need.

You made the choice, seems others for any thing that you'll bring up or comes around to discuss will always sway your opinion until your surest that its the correct thing and thought it through. As is for all things, opinions are opinions and make people say it one way, they may tell you different more possitive ways to, some may not, but that's OK.

Stay happy, don't worry and be scared to let it change you to much now or later on.

This too, my Brother says nothing, he did say he'd support later on, and he only said, I don't know that its a good idea but only that you want to. Vaguer than I want him to be, he likes that vagueness all the time too, I do not, lol.

I did feel guilty, worried people would think I was taking the easy way out and didn't want to tell people but ....2.5 months out and I can't help but giggle at that thought...this is sooooo NOT an easy way out!

In what other human endeavor is taking "the hard way out" better just because it is harder? Do you program your Garmin to take the hardest route, the one more likely to result in you not getting to your destination, because it is "more noble"?

Thinking is hard for those that hate to do it. Even if the sleeve was the easy way out, which it is not, calling it the easy way out without any logic, argument, or justification and out of pure prejudice is the easy way out!

I never felt like it was the easy way but the ONLY way.

I am 41 and have been on every diet know to man, spent every dime I had on every program there was. Remember Susan powder? I spend money on that program. Weight watcheters? every year. Jenny Craig, been here done that! Richard Simmons- still have the deal a meal. pills, Rx's, shakes, gyms, personal trainers, low carb, Atkins, South Beach, TOPS, Overeaters Annonomours, counselors and therapists, medifast, etc.... With every one of these programs I lost and gained. My first diet was as a child, my mother would take me to a church basement where I would change into a slip and weigh in and if I lost weight I would get to choose a little gift from the treat box.

Finally two years ago I gave up and decided I was just fat, resigned to select my clothing from the PLUS size department. Reserved to the side lines of my daughters life because I was too big to be like the other mothers who could physically participate.

Then, the hope of the surgery. A way to get my life back? Maybe? Hope? Yes!

The easy way out? If that is what people want to call it then I am okay with that becasue the last 25 years of my life and my battle with my weight and food has not been easy and honeslty I could use some easy about now. I could use a way to lose weight that dosen't leave me broke, fat and hating myself. I do not get angry with people with call it the easy way out, I just think they haven't had my battle and if they did they would be so happy for me and understand this is not the easy way, this is my only way.

My psychologist put these feelings for me in a perfect prospective...she said " having a VSG will be the most valuable tool in your tool box that you will have to carry around with you everywhere, all the other tools (exercise, regulating food, fighting emotional hunger) will all have to be utilized equally". In other words this surgery alone will not get us thin and keep us that way, we need to combine all efforts.

Thanks all for your responses. I definitely don't feel it's an easy way out. I personally thinks it's going to be very difficult at first but I am ready for the change. I have to do something :)

Thank you all for your insight.