Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Longevity?

Hi Everyone - There are 15 days until my lap band surgery, & I am excited and a little nervous too. I really appreciate everyone's posts and the great tips/information. It seems like I have been reading about a considerable amount of complications/ revisions lately.

My general question is how long have you had your lapband, and what complications have you experienced? Any one out there 10 years or more?

Hi Kimberly,

This question gets asked a lot, of course, and the fact is that you will not find people in the U.S. who have been banded more than a few years at most. The longest-banded people here were banded in the late 1990s in clinical trials. Since that time complications have dropped considerably as technique refinements and experience have improved our surgeons' track records.

Good luck with your research, and good luck with your banding!!

Just curious. Has anyone been told how long the band will last assuming no complications. I know there not a long history to refer to yet, but given current life spans, these bands may have to last decades for some people. Is it assumed that they will have to be replaced at some point in time. Trying to get as much info on which to base my decision of to band or not to band.. Thanks.

Redi,

Good questions. My surgeon seems to think (if I understood him correctly) if there are no complications that they should last indefinately. In other words - they won't wear out. The materials are not affected by body tissue or stomach acids. Seems most of the problems are slips, erosions (but the bands are intact?) or punctures by improper fills.

Any one out there have some concrete data on this?

Terry :confused:

My surgeons say the same thing as Terry's. The material in the band is designed to last "forever" and won't wear out unless damaged.

Same here, my doctor said as long as I have no complications, there is no reason why I should ever have my band removed. It will be my friend for life. :heh:

I understand that the material in the band will not wear out. I believe it's more of how long or whether your body will accept a foreign object in it.

Eric-I'm so glad to hear you've not had any problems after 5 years. That gives me hope. Thanks.

Hi,

I called Inamed and talked with them about this issue, and they told me that the band is made out of the same material as artificial knees and joints, and they last for about 15 years, but because the band does not have any moving parts that can "wear out" like artifical knees and joints, that it should last "much, much longer" than those items. He didn't give me an exact number of years, but he said basically it was "indefinitely" since the material is very durable. He also said that the longest known patient to have the band in was 14 years with no complications.