Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Was Your Process Getting To The Approval And Surgery Date?

Hey y'all :)

Ok so i am not there yet, but i was wanting to know how long should i be lookin at with the process of gettin to surgery from the First ever appointment with your PCP askin for referral?

It took me 7 months to get approved.

It will take me about the same because my insurance requires me to do a 6 month supervised diet.

It really depends on your insurance. I also had a 6 month supervised diet requirement so it took 7 months total.

Like above posters said it's kinda all depends on insurance and how busy the offices are that you are going too.

I went to my first seminar august 4 met my surgeon august 29 and have done numerous tests and things since. My case was submitted to bcbs on 10/25 I was approved 10/29 and just got pulmonary clearance. I should get my date any day now. :)

Thank you ya'll !! :)

I went to my first seminar in March of 2012 and I'll be sleeved next Wednesday so it took me about 8 months. That was partly because I had to wait 3 months from the seminar to see the surgeon. I didnt see him until June 18th. So if you go from that date is was 5 months. It varies for everyone as you can see, depending on whether you need a pre op diet. My insurance was what I was most scared of and believe it or not that wound up being the fastest part, got approval in less then 24 hours. So you never know whats going to happen with this journey lol. Wish you lots of luck!

I went to my first consult with my surgeon on 7/26/2012... I have my surgery 12/12/2012!! So about 5 months... I got my approval from insurance in October but my surgeon is really booked...

I went to my seminar in November of 2011 and was sleeved in September 2012...so nearly a year. The first few months were spent with a lifestyle medicine nurse practitioner making sure I was ready to make this commitment and changing my mind from band to sleeve (SO thankful for her doing that!!). It seems like a long time (and while in it I got VERY antsy), but hindsight being 20/20, I'm thankful for all of those hoops and classes because I really do feel like I was well prepared for the huge change this surgery brings.

Like above posters said it's kinda all depends on insurance and how busy the offices are that you are going too.

I went to my first seminar august 4 met my surgeon august 29 and have done numerous tests and things since. My case was submitted to bcbs on 10/25 I was approved 10/29 and just got pulmonary clearance. I should get my date any day now. :)

BCBS just req me to get pulmonary clearance as well. If you don't mind me asking which BCBS do you have? An good luck w the date. :-)

BCBS just req me to get pulmonary clearance as well. If you don't mind me asking which BCBS do you have? An good luck w the date. :-)

I have bcbs of il ppo. I had to do diet class, pysch, and show a history of being overweight. I believe that was it. I had a few things come up that stalled my process a bit but once it got sent it it was approved fairly quickly.

I have bcbs of il ppo. I had to do diet class' date=' pysch, and show a history of being overweight. I believe that was it. I had a few things come up that stalled my process a bit but once it got sent it it was approved fairly quickly.[/quote']

Thanks for the info. I have the same plan. Did you have to do the diet? I had the nut appt, psych clearance, history of being overweight and then they came back and asked for cardio and pulmonologist clearance. I have to I for a cardiac stress test tmrw and I am hoping that once the info is submitted to the insurance I get a date.

I started June 29, 2012 and my surgery date is 12/13. I have had to get clearance from my pcp, a cardiologist, gastroenterologist, pulmonologist and psychologist. I have had to get an EKG. An ultra sound I my abdomen, a chest X-ray, an upper GI, an upper endescopy A sleep study, and blood work. Plus I had to take a class and see a dietician monthly. I feel that I am as prepared as I can be. I am ready to start my new journey!

I went to my seminar in November of 2011 and was sleeved in September 2012...so nearly a year. The first few months were spent with a lifestyle medicine nurse practitioner making sure I was ready to make this commitment and changing my mind from band to sleeve (SO thankful for her doing that!!). It seems like a long time (and while in it I got VERY antsy)' date=' but hindsight being 20/20, I'm thankful for all of those hoops and classes because I really do feel like I was well prepared for the huge change this surgery brings.[/quote']

Mine was almost identical... I started the process in Nov 2011 and was sleeved Oct 22,2012...

I have bcbs of Texas.. My first appointment was on 8/23 and my surgery is scheduled for 11/21.

I was required to have a 5 year weight history of >40 bmi, psych, diet history, letter from pcp recommending surgery. Nut and psych visit. sleep study and egd.

I could have gotten through it faster but was dragging my heels because husband wanted to go first. When it looked like he was going to get denied I went ahead and finished everything so we could leave him room at the end of the year so he could get his the same year to save money. (he did get denied, weight history was too low so he will have to wait and see what next year's rules are)