Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ive Seen A Nutritionist, Had To Gain 5Lb To Have Bmi Of 40 (Its Required) Now Dieting!

So I had to gain 5 more pounds to have a body mass index of 40 to be a candidate for VSG I have no health problems what so ever (thank god) but now I have to diet for about 21 days prior to surgery. My health insurance is fidelis. Does any one think I will be accepted by this health insurance please I néed some sort of opinions regarding low bmi then gaining extra pounds to be a candidate for surgery then dieting once again thanks.

Supposedly they only have to submit one weight, then you can start losing and it won't count. That first one has to be as high as possible to offer you a better chance of approval. Ducking a little during your height measurement, or subtracting an inch if they ask you, can help a lot with the BMI. My insurance requires BMI of 40 or BMI 35-39 with at least two significant comorbidities.

You need to get the exact info. from your insurance company as to what their requirements are. I had to do a 90 day multidisciplinary program or 6 months with my doc, and a two year weight history, etc. every insurance is different though.

Good luck.

This is such a slippery slope. I had a BMI of 36 with diabetes and was referred from Kaisser to a bariatric facility that was contracted with Kaiser. I lost some weight in the weight loss classes and then went to see the bariatric surgeon. The surgeon's office told me I didn't qualify for surgery because my BMI was too low. It was so frustrating......Then I tried to gain weight and went back to eating the unhealthy sh** I had eaten before and still lost a couple of lbs. So I had to redirect then to the fact that I was diabetic and that then qualified me. So, if I was you, I wouldn't worry too much about losing the weight before the surgery just to be safe. I realized after the surgery was done that I could of worn an ankle weight at that time. So, don't lose and you will be fine. :)

Thanks. It's actually to reduce the size of my liver. I did wear weights inside my shoes. It came up to 262lbs but she takes 2lb off. Then she made me weigh myself with out shoes or coat. All I remember my nutritionist saying my bmi is 38.5 or 39.5 but I checked it online and it says 40 I'm going to see if when I go back she can help me do something. She also stated my surgeon can put something extra so I can be eligible for surgery. But he hasn't told me other wise he said everything should be fine and I should be having surgery soon. There was one surgeon who actually said no to me after I did all I did.

Do you have to lose weight on your diet?

If not' date=' then don't.[/quote']

They gave me a 1800 calorie diet. For 10 days then I should go back to do the pre-op I hope I get surgery so bad.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches