Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your Dr put in a fill during surgery or does he make you wait 6weeks????

The Dr that I go to makes you wait 6 weeks post op for a fill so that there is no more swelling around your stomach and you are heeled.

Does your Doctor make you wait?

I have only lost between 8 and 10 lbs post op. I have no fill and will not get my fill until Nov 10th. I am not too worried about not having lost more then 10 lbs in the past 3 weeks because of not having the fill yet. I have no restriction anymore. Or should I say not much. I do think just the band itself is giving me some restriction but not much.

I do notice that I belch alot since surgery and have no control over it. When I walk and try to talk it just happens. It comes out like someone letting air out of a balloon. My 9 yr old finds that funny. Has anyone else noticed this?

My incissions are almost all heeled. a couple of them have real thick scabs on them at the edge of them and even after a shower they dont want to come off.

Since I have gone back to work I am so tired and busy that I have not had much time to visit the board. I hope all are doing well.

Welcome all new ones I may have missed in the past couple of weeks.

Good night everyone...:D

I don't think many doctors do a fill at the time of surgery... I could be wrong. I was banded Sept 5 and had my first fill three weeks later, and I just had my second one Tuesday, 10/10.

I can TOTALLY relate about the burpage. It sounds so weird now, and it's like you can't even stifle it. lol

Did you feel like you had restriction post op?

I did for the first couple of weeks but this week I do not notice much.

I am trying to be patient until my fill but I had hoped I would be down 25 or 30 lbs by my November 20th wedding anniversary and at this rate I will be lucky if I am down 15 lbs post op.

Oh well it will be here before I know it....

I had restriction for only one week post-op, only from the swelling. I know the feeling of wanting the weight to come off quicker. :/ My husband will be graduating from bootcamp Nov 10th and I wanted to be about 30 lbs down as well. :D I'm walking at night, which seems to help a little bit.

Don't worry. I have heard many people say that the first couple of months after getting banded, you don't lose very quickly, and then after that it just starts to fall off with ease!!

I had to wait 5 weeks after surgery before I got my first fill. It's hard to be patient, I know, but you have to think of this in the long-term. In my case, it has taken almost 2 years to lose 97 pounds. I am still about 10 pounds from goal, but I don't really work at losing any more, so it serves me right. I wear a size 2/4 and couldn't be happier - except for the vacant skin that is still (literally) hanging around.

Depending on which band you have, it may take several fills to achieve good restriction. Don't expect to hit the "sweet spot" with your first one.

One more thing....you will do 100 times better if you follow the bandster rules. Eat Protein first, then veggies, then carbs. Stay away from liquid calories (ice cream, chocolate, etc) and exercise.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Did you feel like you had restriction post op?

I did for the first couple of weeks but this week I do not notice much.

I was banded on 9/11 and I did notice some restriction for the first couple of weeks, but it has lessened now.I still have to eat slower and it feels like some things get a little hung up as I eat.

The burping thing was an ordeal for about 2 weeks for me, but I no longer experience that. My first fill will be in a couple of weeks.

It sounds like what you are going through is not unusual.

My doctor won't hear of doing a fill prior to six weeks post op. I had some restriction after surgery, maybe about three weeks. After that forget it. I had my first fill on Aug. 21, but only .5 cc, which gives me very little to no restriction. I have not gained any weight, but have not lost any since before my first fill. I go next Monday to see my doc., I will certainly push for another fill, because he won't give one if you're losing. In my case, I haven't lost any.

I had to wait 6 weeks for my first fill as well........no exceptions. I called back today because I still have ABSOLUTELY NO RESTRICTION........they won't even consider another fill for 3 more weeks! I'm getting very frustrated. I fell like I don't even have a band!!!

My doctor sometimes puts a small fill in during surgery, I didn't get one. And yes, they wait 6 weeks. The idea is to allow plenty of time to heal, so I kept reminding myself of that. I was lucky I know, I had some restriction.

And I got my first fill yesterday.

I had to wait 6 wks, but that is so the band will heal/set good first. It's really worth the wait!

Ditto for me. I can expect no fill until at least 6 weeks post-op.