Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking To Do The Sleeve In Mexico

Hi, just discovered this website and I'm loving reading everyone's stories and comments. Since I'm a uninsured American, and this procedure is cheaper in Mexico, that's the route I'm going to take. I am kinda curious who people would recommend? I'm looking to do this next march or April in Tijuana. How was the atmosphere, did you feel safe as an American in a border town? Let me know please :). I have been overweight my whole life, and I am at my heaviest ever. 330 lbs. so I decided that this is the option I was going to go for. I feel like its my last option to lose weight and have a happier life.

Hi, just discovered this website and I'm loving reading everyone's stories and comments. Since I'm a uninsured American, and this procedure is cheaper in Mexico, that's the route I'm going to take. I am kinda curious who people would recommend? I'm looking to do this next march or April in Tijuana. How was the atmosphere, did you feel safe as an American in a border town? Let me know please :). I have been overweight my whole life, and I am at my heaviest ever. 330 lbs. so I decided that this is the option I was going to go for. I feel like its my last option to lose weight and have a happier life.

I didn't have insurance either and decided to have my surgery done in Mexico. I had an awesome experience, as surgeries go, and would recommend my doctor to my best friend. I narrowed my search down to two doctors Dr. Aceves and Dr. Alvarez. I think they are both amazing doctors. I connected more with Dr. Alvarez so I went with him.

There was never one minute I didn't feel safe being there or when crossing the border. So I think you are making a great decision! Good luck and all the best!

Hi there! Welcome to the forum! This is a great resource to help you out during your journey.

I got my sleeve done in the US as my crappy insurance actually covered something, so I can't help you with the Mexico questions. But feel free to ask any questions you have. There are so many helpful people on the forum.

wish I could help but I didnt have mine done in mexico, however I hear Dr alverez is awesome..... not sure exaclty where he is located oh yeah and also the jeruselum hosptial in mexico ..... just make sure that you really research whom ever you pick!!! this is your first step to a new you !!! congrats

I am going in February to Dr. Lopez because he does higher BMI's

There are a group of women going to Mexico in March if you read the Mexico forum. I am going to Dr. Garcia in February.

I went to Puerto Vallarta and used Dr. Lopez. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The best thing I've ever done JUST FOR ME.

I didn't go to TJ, but I am very happy with Dr Aceves in Mexicali. There are many great surgeons in Mexico. Just do your research and go with the one that is best for you. I went with my gut and have had no regrets.

Awesome, thanks everyone :)

Hi, this is my first post. I'm Day 4, post OP, just woke up in luxurious Hotel Lucerna! I feel great! No pain :-)! I went through Trish Lupz, coordinator for dr. Ponce de leon. Dr. Ponce is renowned in Mexico, and taught the surgery to most of the other doctors mentioned. The other doctors may be more aggressive in their marketing because it is easy to get overcome by money in this business.

Go for the best, with the best intentions at heart too. Dr. Ponce is also a General Surgeon, and knows so much. He found a suspicious spot on my stomach and sent it for biopsy just in case. I don't have to pay for it they said, but it was negligible for peace of mind, and they already did so much, of course I will pay it! :-)

Trish is here in Tijuana, and will be with you through it all. She is much more than a call center coordinator! Those are only in the U.S.&only do the booking and leaves the rest for you. A lot of doctors (I had so many attending to me..it was so personalized) and nurses at Hospital INT spoke English, but Trish explains in a much more holistic, lifestyle-focused perspective, which is so valuable in learning a new way of living! Plus her income goes to helping the community and church here. Truly, she is rare in that she cares for the right reason. Go to Trish's website, www.wsl4betterlife.com, and book with Dr.Ponce! He is a gifted and caring surgeon. His pre-OP regime is 3 days yogurt & Water...he doesn't make you starve yourself (unless you need a jump start in reeducating your habits, but that will be more the case after the surgery, when learning new ways in line with your sleeve will be more relevant). Dr. Ponce has No complications to date, is transparent, and the teacher to the rest! :-)

I will write a more detailed description of the process when I have a computer keyboard (using hotel wifi on my smartphone) ;-). I just wanted to get this out there ASAP for those on the fence & looking for a surgeon. If you do a search for their names, you will get all the info you need. But the nitty-gritty is, self-pay is $5500--which includes 2 nights in hospital, all your prescription meds for post-OP, 1 night at Hotel Lucerna (I think up to 1 extra night is 50% off?) with complimentary broth & popsicle 1x day, complimentary chauffeur pick up & drop off to San Diego airport, plus extra goody bag from Trish...&Trish herself, which is the best bonus. The onto other expense is your airfare. Ask for dates when Dr. Ponce is available, then book your flight, send your itinerary/reservation to Trish, and it all goes from there! Good luck to all :-) :-) :-P yo

Oops! Mistyped Trish's website (cell ph, autocorrect, lol)

It is: Trish, Patient Coordinator

www.WLS4betterLife.com

Cell: 661-886-4617

Office: 619-207-4114

info@wls4betterlife.com

She is active on Facebook, where she follows up with everyone. I don't have her FB on me right now, but just do a search here, & you will find it. You won't regret Trish or Dr. Ponce :-)!

I am also going in February Dr Garcia

Another Dr Garcia pt here. I'm going in February also.

Another Dr Garcia pt here. I'm going in February also.

What date?

Dr. Alvarez. Surgery 1/18/2013!! I have corresponded with several of his former patients and even emailed him directly. He answered all my questions and I feel very comfortable with my decision. One of the reasons I picked him, aside from his outstanding reputation, is because he doesn't perform more than 3 surgeries a day-- and most of the time it is only 2 a day. I would hate to be the #6 surgery for some doc. Oh, the VSG is the only surgery he performs now-- he won't do a Lapband anymore because he has taken so many out. I love that he believes in this surgery-- he even wrote a book about it.

Also, I want more individualized attention, and that is what I hear you get with dr. Alvarez. He may be a bit more than other Mexican surgeons, but for the reasons stated above, I think he is worth it.