Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scared almost to the point of panic regarding general anesthesia. Terrified I will never wake up.

Amanda Rae

It is something to be concerned about, but it's also the best sleep you will have. We are all worried about this but that's why they do such an extensive testing before the surgery. They don't want your death on their hands ether...... Hang in ther and remember the end result is amazing and helps with a healthier life too. :)

This is a common fear! I have had many procedures where I have been put to sleep. If you haven't been put to sleep before, it's a strange feeling. I am an old pro at it, but I always hear my heart rate bump up then settle back down right before lights out. Anesthesia makes me violently ill afterwards, so if you are this way ask for a scopolamine patch. It's used in cancer patients for nausea...worked when I had my hysterectomy , but for the sleeve I had the worst nausea of my life..just be ready for anything. And of course, some people don't experience any nausea. I think perhaps the unnerving thing about it is that you feel the sleep coming if you will. Just talk to the doctor doing it. My OBGYN asked what I was going to dream about and I remember saying I want to be on a beach as a size 6 in a bikini...and then I woke in recovery... Remember the doctor who is administering the meds really wants you to wake up too and will do everything possible to keep you safe. Be sure to tell the anesthesiologist your fears and they will calm your fears and take care of you. Of course they have to come in and tell you about the dangers of it...but it will be ok. It takes all of 10 seconds to go to sleep. I always feel the meds going in my arm from the IV kinda cool feeling and then I taste it...then here comes the heavy feeling...not a crushing feeling...just a relaxed heavy feeling. Don't try to fight it, just lull to sleep and then you will feel groggy when they wake you in recovery. You more than likely won't remember a lot of what went on and that's ok..I don't remember waking in recovery ..I remember being wheeled into my room..so it will be fine I have a feeling. It's ok to be a scared, just talk to your anesthesiologist when it's time and they will help you...good luck!

Both my experiences with anesthesia ended with me waking up okay and puking. But the 1st time I was 4 years old, having my adenoids removed. The 2nd time was 5 years ago and 100+ lbs lighter sans sleep apnea, for my gall bladder. Same results as adenoids. Wake and puke. I'm trying to lose as much weight as possible between now and 3/11/13 to lower my BMI and my risks. I'm using Idealshape meal supplements. An organic cleanse. A Multivitamin. And tons of salad, veggies, Greek yogurt, fruit, lean meats, and the occasional whole grains. Kicking up my activity level. I've been a nonsmoker for almost 7 years and I'm eliminating alcohol and caffeine going forward. I am, in all seriousness, a little OCD with an emphasis on the "O". I don't know what else to do to improve my health and decrease my risks.

Amanda Sexton

Since you know you vomit, I would highly suggest you ask for a scopolamine patch. You tell the anesthesiologist this. He will order it and put it on your before they put you to sleep. They put it behind your ear and it can be left there for 3 days. It's worth a try. It worked for me during my hysterectomy and I always vomit with anesthesia. Now..with the sleeve I had to have a scopolamine patch and have Zofran and phenergan administered alternatively every 2 hours after surgery. But I would definitely ask or a scopolamine patch.

I don't have any experience with general anesthesia, only with epidurals. I saw a Grey's Anatomy episode once where the person was under anesthesia but she could feel everything, she just couldn't move or communicate that she felt it. I think THAT would be my number one omgomgomgomg freak out. I mean this is my pain scale: 0: nothing. 10: Stub my toe. I mean I have no resistance to pain, everything hurts too much. My 2 year old head butting me = 10. Period cramps =... ok maybe a 7 since they're not constant. Stepping on a lego = 10. Waking up to a charlie horse = 10. I do not like pain, at all! :)

I'd rather have an epidural! I hate puking and at least I will be awake!

Amanda Rae

My biggest worry was vomiting too. i actually ended up having no nausea at all. So try not to worry so much, you will probably do great!

Deep breath. Deep breath.

Amanda Rae