Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is my Malfunction! I'm not losing!

I agree with Mangojoy. When I was on an SSRI, I gained 45 pounds in three months. I bet if you went off Effexor you would start losing.

I think it's a whole lot easier than all of this. If you're not losing, eat less. Sorry, I don't believe in starvation mode. I also don't believe that if you exercise more, you need to eat more. I work out 3x/week with a trainer (very intense) and 2-3 times per week I'm in karate. Some days I eat 400 calories, some days, I eat 1200...but I probably average about 800/day. I don't track calories, or protein/carbs/fat. I do try to eat Protein and produce at every meal and save the carbs, if any, to last.

If you consistently eat less, you WILL lose weight. The best thing you can do to ensure that you're not losing muscle mass is to work it. Exercise, lift weights, etc.

Honey-----My guess its the Effexor! You are doing everything right, I dont have the band but gained weight 2x taking 2 different meds///like 10-15# in a month. They weren't Effexor, but I would not doubt one bit that is the reason!

I have really given the Effexor some serious thought as a possible culprit. I went down from 150 mg a day to 75 mg a day about 3 mo's ago - still no difference in weight loss. This is a very hard drug to get off of. The withdrawal symptoms are VERY severe. I do want to try to get off of it again though. I am bi-polar and I have been afraid to treat anything for my mania because I don't want to add to my weight problems and now I might go off entirely. I am just so scared of nutting up tough :lol:

I've also scheduled an appt for an Endocrinologist next week to check for other possible causes. My mother has an underactive thyroid and had to have hers removed...

I think it's a whole lot easier than all of this. If you're not losing, eat less. Sorry, I don't believe in starvation mode. I also don't believe that if you exercise more, you need to eat more. I work out 3x/week with a trainer (very intense) and 2-3 times per week I'm in karate. Some days I eat 400 calories, some days, I eat 1200...but I probably average about 800/day. I don't track calories, or protein/carbs/fat. I do try to eat Protein and produce at every meal and save the carbs, if any, to last.

If you consistently eat less, you WILL lose weight. The best thing you can do to ensure that you're not losing muscle mass is to work it. Exercise, lift weights, etc.

I for the last few months have been almost perfect with my eating and exercising. I could up the Protein a bit but I am not that far off track. I drink a ton of Water and in fact yesterday I had gained 3 lbs! Some days I eat as low as 600 calories a day. A "big" day would be a max of 1200 calories and that is rare!

My 2 cents worth --

I don't think that it is the Effexor (venlafaxine). The effexor does 1 or the other: decrease your appetite/decrease your weight OR increase your appetite/increase your weight. With the banding, you appetite is under control therfore we should not see the weight increase. However on a metabolic level it may cause edema. The +/- 3 lbs on the scale you may be seeing might be Fluid fluctuations.

You may not be getting enough calories each day. You may want to try and aim for 1200 calories and maybe even up to 1300 to 1400 calories for 2 days to get your metabolism going. If you stay in nutrient deprevation too long that will decrease your metabolism and halt weight loss, may even promote weight gain at lower calorie levels for an extended amount of time.

Unfortunately, weight loss is not a perfect science and we have to work and tweak until we find the right calorie fit for our body type. I know it's Frustrating. Hang in there!

Melissa Lea

I take Effexor 75 mg daily and I don't drink any Protein drinks, I eat all my protein...

BeacheeGirl,

Effexor will do it! I take 300 mg daily and it's killing me in trying to lose weight. Since I've been on solid food (no longer on pure liquids or mushies), I've been working on the same darn 3 pounds.

I have my first fill on 10/27 and hoping for some help then.

Effexor is famous for making weight loss more difficult ... as if depression isn't bad enuf!

I have found that a good Protein Drink in the a.m. helps w/the weight loss. I use EAS original. 11 oz; 310 calories and 50 gm Protein. (I drink 5.5 oz each a.m.). It's half my protein for the day and it keeps me feeling satisfied til lunch.

BeacheeGirl,

Effexor will do it! I take 300 mg daily and it's killing me in trying to lose weight. Since I've been on solid food (no longer on pure liquids or mushies), I've been working on the same darn 3 pounds.

I have my first fill on 10/27 and hoping for some help then.

Effexor is famous for making weight loss more difficult ... as if depression isn't bad enuf!

I have found that a good Protein drink in the a.m. helps w/the weight loss. I use EAS original. 11 oz; 310 calories and 50 gm Protein. (I drink 5.5 oz each a.m.). It's half my protein for the day and it keeps me feeling satisfied til lunch.

I think everyone is right. It may be the Effexor. I've went down from 150 mg to 75 mg and my doctor just now prescribed me 37.5 mg pills. I'm going to slowly get off of it.

A very kind LBT'er here PM'd me and told me to try Abilify for my mania since it's currently not being treated. She has a friend that did it and when all other meds caused weight gain, on Abilify her friend started to LOSE weight....

Hey Beachee-beachee,

You know the hell I went through trying to lose weight. You also know the reason I can't lose weight.

I'm really glad you are seeing and endo.

CinWard, if you are dealing with undiagnosed endocrin disorders, you can drive yourself insane trying to figure out why you are not losing weight. Because litterally nothing you eat has anything to do with your weight. I personally can eat cheese burgers every single day and not gain weight and I can eat less than 700 calories for a month and not lose weight. This is documented. But I have a Brain Tumor. And brain tumors screw everything up.

Beachee, hon, I'm not saying that's what you have, but I am really glad you are seeing an Endo. If this one doesn't give you good answers, if he or she tries to brush you off, doesn't adiquately answers your questions about why you cannot lose weight, demand answers. See someone else.

If the bi-polar thing doesn't "fit" if that isn't what's wrong, go see someone else. They tried to tell me I was bi-polar. Uhm, no. But frequently Cushies get diagnosed as bi-polar before they get a real diagnosis.

Best of luck dear heart. PM me if you have any questions. Check out the links in my sig for more help. (the site is down for maintence tonight though)

Truthfully, I'm only getting about 40 - 60 g of Protein a day (I HATE EGGS!) I do like the Morningstar vegetarian products though.

Somethimes if you are not getting enough calories your body goes in starvation mode and hold on to the fat. Also, could Water retention be a problem?

It's a proven fact that any kind of anti depressant slows down your metabolic rate. Many doctors will not tell you this. I was on Paxil and it was my demise with my weight gain. Also 1000 calories a day is not enough. Try upping it to 1200-1300 ...many people think if they do not eatthey will ose weight, you have to eat to lose weight. Eat more often throughtout th day like 6 mini meals to keep your metabolism going especially if you are taking and anti depressant. Just my 2 cents worth...good luck :)

Thanks for all of your suggestions, I'm trying to eat more calories, some days its hard though...still no weight loss I'm still at 220 despite exercising every day and drinking my water...arrgghhh!

your not eating enough and your exericising TOO MUCH for your size.

is it possible to exercise too much????

i am so desperately sad and bummed and sad and sad and sad and sad. i will never lose weight no matter what i do.

went to see dr and he said i have NO symptoms of any health issue preventing me from weight loss. he will run total blood panel anyway but says i should see a dietician....

When you are building muscle mass, muscle weighs more than fat, so you might not see a change on the scales even though you are losing fat. Don't get too disheartened, you still have to see about your meds. And there's the nutritionist to think about. If there is nothing wrong hormonally, you should eventually lose the weight, even if it is slow. Don't give up. We're here for you!