Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Winter Blahs And Sleeve

Well winter is showing it's ugly face around here and with it comes the blahs. I hate to be cold, I ache from head to foot durring the winter from arthritis and many other health issues I have. Since moving someplace warm is not an option, I end up staying in the house a lot. With staying home comes the tendency to get bored and one thing leads to another and I end up snacking more than I should. food has always been my comfort and this is no exception. I have done wonderful with my sleeve and I am afraid I could easily make some wrong choices due to my winter blahs. I will get thru this, as it is a matter of being strong and making the better choices. I have come too far to let this make me backslide. I was wondering how many others have to deal with Winter Blahs and how you handle it. What tricks do you use to get thru the difficult times when you want to comfort yourself with food.

I too am worried about this.... but mine is more the holiday's that comes during the winter and all the food that comes with it. so far I have been good but Thanksgivign is coming up soon..... I am thinking about joining a gym or do some kind of hobby that will keep my hands busy///

1. I understand the holiday issue.. I am having Thanksgiving at my house that way I can control what I make for everyone and be sure to make things I am comfortable eating. I will keep busy with the preperations and tending to everyone else and that will keep me from being idle and reaching for the extras. My family and friends are very supportive and they will be aware of my need to have "special" foods. I take things with me to family and friends homes so I don't feel deprived or feel the need to indulge on unhealthy Snacks etc.

I plan on hosting Thanksgiving dinner at my home this year also...Only my mother, brother, and sister will be having the main dinner with me, but I am sure there will be some visitors. I have already told my family that we will be having a healthy thanksgiving dinner in small portions. They are on board for what I have planned and are being very supportive also. With all the time I have had off since surgery, the menu is already planned out. Things like a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey and mac n cheese with whole wheat Pasta and kale. The only objection was that my siblings said it wouldnt be thanksgiving without Mom's sweet potato pie. Thats fine, but she will be using my whole wheat pie crust! As for other Desserts, Jello mold and zuccini muffins.

sounds like a very good dinner...You could choose to eat the pie but not the crust. I have done that and it is satisfying, as you mainly want the taste of the filling anyway. Even better ask you mom to make a smaller crustless pie for you with sugar substitute.

When I'm board I find I want to snack. Just recently I realized I'm not really hungry. It's all in my head. I want to eat, but as long as I focus on my stomach and the fact I'm not hungry I can control the snacking. I've started to make a conscious effort to only eat 3 meals a day with no snacking.

I think we all tend to do that same thing with just eating or snacking for now real reason. I have to watch myself with that also. I have decided to go back to basics and eating 6 times a day. aprox eating every 2 hours but only eating very very small amounts and the Snacks being just Protein (a piece of string cheese or some Peanut Butter etc...simple small proteins). Concentrating on high protein and Fiber and low carbs. That way I will stay full and not feel like I have to graze. It worked perfectly for me and I just need to be more concious of how I eat rather than eating blindly.

I need to work on this too. I agree with trying to find a hobby to keep your hands busy. Try exercising when you know you're not really hungry. Crafts? Bubble bath, paint your finger nails...?. When I quit smoking years ago, when I got the urge to smoke, I would make myself wash dishes by hand. Can't smoke when your hands are all wet. Most of the time the urge would go away.

I agree keeping busy helps that is why I am on the computer so much...LOL It keeps both my mind and my hands occupied.

I found that warm Water pool exercise feels great in the winter - power Water aerobics in my case helped alot last winter. You might find it helps your aches a little, gets you out of the house, warms you up and gets you exercise!

In general, being active helps me chase the blues away.

I had some hot Sleepy Time herbal tea with Splenda last night. It really hit the spot. Sometimes I have the diet hot chocolate mix with Water. At 25 calories a serving, it is a very doable alternative. There are so many delicious but low calorie Soups that are perfect for this weather.

Soup-a-Woman has a great recipe blog for some interesting options

http://www.soup-a-woman.blogspot.com/

I found that warm Water pool exercise feels great in the winter - power Water aerobics in my case helped alot last winter. You might find it helps your aches a little' date=' gets you out of the house, warms you up and gets you exercise!

In general, being active helps me chase the blues away.[/quote']

Totally agree, I get up,I am aching, pain in lots of places, force myself to go to water aerobics and my body literally changes in the one hour class, it is amazing. I then have a better attitude the whole day. I live in snow country and all summer I said, when it snows I have to join our little town rec center, real,real cheap. Snow is almost here. Maybe together we won't procrastinate and we will MOVE and ENJOY LIFE. I am 70 lb.'s away from goal, 8 weeks post op so I still have a loooong way to go.

I had some hot Sleepy Time herbal tea with Splenda last night. It really hit the spot. Sometimes I have the diet hot chocolate mix with Water. At 25 calories a serving' date=' it is a very doable alternative. There are so many delicious but low calorie Soups that are perfect for this weather.

Soup-a-Woman has a great recipe blog for some interesting options

http://www.soup-a-woman.blogspot.com/

Thank you so much for reminding me, I have not discovered the enjoyment, the comfort so many of you get from tea, I want that!! Also, for me, sometimes I just need a meal or I just need a portion of food and then my cravings go away. I have spent so much of my life starving/ over eating/ hungry/binging that I am still learning what to do with some real hunger.