Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

Tom, I saw that too. He is amazing, isn't he. As a anatomy and physiology student, I find him awesome! He is honest, smart and tells it like it is. Isn't that what we need? I believe him, you know how long it has been since I have been able to say that about anyone peddling a "cure"

Glad you are all doing well... and Tom, if you run out of rug to vaccuum... I have some here in Rockaway Nj for you... lol

I just wanted to ask if anyone has found good alcoholic beverages to drink while out? I don't drink much, but love wine coolers, and now that I don't want to even try the carbonation, I always have to take my blender and my own mixers to parties....can be a pain in the neck. I just don't have a clue as to what you can just buy, ready to drink, thats sortof like a wine cooler, or sweet in otherwords. I don't really like the taste of alcohol, so I don't know. Any ideas? I love white russians, and mudslides, but again, pain in the butt.

Kristi

I have thought about adding vodka to some crystal light or koolaid, but who knows? I as seriously in need of some helpLOL.

If you don't like the taste of alcohol, why drink any? Alcohol is not low in calories (1 ounce of 80 proof Vodka has about 65 calories not counting the mixer) and offers very little nutritional value. (There are some health benefits to drinking limited amounts of alcohol.)

There are single serve versions of most cocktails, including mudslides. They're usually sold with the wine coolers. The amount of carbonation in most wine coolers is not likely to cause problem. The other option is just to have wine. Most of the lighter wines (white, blush, rose, etc.) have fewer than 100 calories per 4 ounce serving.

Tom

Tom, I saw that too. He is amazing, isn't he. As a anatomy and physiology student, I find him awesome! He is honest, smart and tells it like it is. Isn't that what we need? I believe him, you know how long it has been since I have been able to say that about anyone peddling a "cure"

Glad you are all doing well... and Tom, if you run out of rug to vaccuum... I have some here in Rockaway Nj for you... lol

Straight forward always works for me. He didn't sugar coat it or try to sell some hype-up get skinny quick scheme. Eat appropriate amounts of healthy foods and get more exercise and you lose weight. Sounds reasonable to me!

As to the vaccuuming, with 3 house dogs that like to bring the great outdoors in, I doubt I'll ever run out but if I do, I'll keep you in mind. :heh:

Tom

Thanks... What kind of dogs, Tom?

As far as alcohol... bacardi silver label is really low is calories, and sugar. If you want a drink, I would go for that or a simple glass of red wine... But... from experence...

it takes a lot less to feel the effects of alcohol, and if you are also in the proximity of food, the wrong choices are easliy made. Yesterday I went to a baby shower.. not only was I with a bunch of people that didn't know, and I didn't want to know that I had the band, but it was a 5 course meal. My plan was to have a bite or two from each entree, but after a glass of red wine, I ended up eating to much in the beginning and suffered thru the rest of the meal. It was tough. I threw up 2 times. it sucked.

Today I am reading the You on a diet between classes. And I am going to walk for 30 minutes... :clap2:

Oh, sorry, Angela! I'm here.

I love the concept of mindful eating. I came at that concept from another avenue. Joan Borysenko wrote a bunch of books about mindfulness based on her research on psychoimmunology. I love the term.

I was in Thailand a year ago, and I was reminded watching the monks meditate in the temple, with loud tourists practically walking over them! I also do think that my past bad eating was done in a trance, so it isn't that foreign a concept to my insides to have a healthy trance now. I'm also finding that I can't get any solid food down in the morning unless I totally relax, and I can get way too much food down in the evening unless I really focus.

Thanks... What kind of dogs, Tom?

I have 2 Miniature Australian Shepherds and a Corgi. The Corgi and one of the Aussies are still puppies with LOTS of energy.

As far as alcohol... bacardi silver label is really low is calories, and sugar. If you want a drink, I would go for that or a simple glass of red wine... But... from experence...

it takes a lot less to feel the effects of alcohol, and if you are also in the proximity of food, the wrong choices are easliy made. Yesterday I went to a baby shower.. not only was I with a bunch of people that didn't know, and I didn't want to know that I had the band, but it was a 5 course meal. My plan was to have a bite or two from each entree, but after a glass of red wine, I ended up eating to much in the beginning and suffered thru the rest of the meal. It was tough. I threw up 2 times. it sucked.

The low-carb Bacardi's still have about 100 calories. Not horrible, but just keep it in mind in the overall daily consumption. Red wines are usually higher in calories than white. I remember in my youth doing many things after a drink or two (or more <G>) but I can't remember it being overeating!

Today I am reading the You on a diet between classes. And I am going to walk for 30 minutes... :clap2:

YEAH! One of the things he said is that you're suppose to call someone after you do the 30 minutes of walking to tell them you did. If you call them everyday to let them know you did the walking, it's harder to not do it as the person will be expecting the call.

I guess in some ways, a similar concept could be used for letting people know you have the band. You may be more careful on your food choices if those around you know you have it. I get a small piece of chocolate most days at work. One of the others asked if I was allowed to have it. It keeps me from going back and eating the whole basket as I know others are watching.

BTW, the You Diet does suggest having a glass of wine a day.

Tom

I guess in some ways, a similar concept could be used for letting people know you have the band. You may be more careful on your food choices if those around you know you have it. I get a small piece of chocolate most days at work. One of the others asked if I was allowed to have it. It keeps me from going back and eating the whole basket as I know others are watching.

This does work for me. My Dh is aware of foods that get stuck easy, maybe I have elected not to eat or shouldn't eat and he will ask,"Are you sure about that?" That really puts things in persective for me and I re-think my choices. Just as I ask him about that pepper he's about to eat that I know will cause heartburn later.

I started walking at work and when I don't go folks will ask, "Not walking today?" Boy, when I have to give any answer to that my excuse to myself not to go doesn't make much sense anymore.

48 down :)

Sherrie

This does work for me. My Dh is aware of foods that get stuck easy, maybe I have elected not to eat or shouldn't eat and he will ask,"Are you sure about that?" That really puts things in persective for me and I re-think my choices. Just as I ask him about that pepper he's about to eat that I know will cause heartburn later.

I started walking at work and when I don't go folks will ask, "Not walking today?" Boy, when I have to give any answer to that my excuse to myself not to go doesn't make much sense anymore.

48 down :)

Sherrie

I go out to dinner with a friend of mine now and then and he reminds me to slow down and cautions food choices. Of course, he doesn't like to be around me when I have stuck food and I turn 12 shades of red, followed by 12 shades of green and then excuse myself to the restroom to "relocate" whatever is stuck.

At work, if I don't bring the gym bag, they ask. For the most part, they've all been very supportive. Several people I use to work with that I don't see that often now have made comments. One asked if I was feeling OK as I'd lost "so much weight." She said I looked OK but obviously much skinnier. She didn't know about the band. It's nice to see others notice. Now, off to work and then the gym. I really hope that at some point, the gym feels less like torture. I'm not into S&M. (Hmmm. Wonder how many calories that would burn. A workout and sex combined. Now that's a concept!! :clap2: )

Tom

I have seen these machines that do both at the same time, but I don't know how you would explain to guest that kind of workout equipment sitting in your workout room.

Dh and Friends (and this board) have got me a long way. Everyone needs good support. Thanks.

Speaking of Stuck. Where does it get stuck? Top of the pouch? Bottom of pouch? Why do things get stuck? Something is smaller, now? I know it feels like an elephant sitting on my chest. And I know it's my fault for not going slow or chewing well.

At one time, I drank at least 6 cans of Diet Coke a day. I reduced myself to 2 cans a day a few years ago. I still drank non-caffiene (Diet Sprite, Diet Root Beer, etc.) after the two cans but was limiting my caffiene. When I started on this Quest, I was told no caffiene or carbonation. I did go through "detox" but managed to be caffiene and carbonation free for several months. I then would sneak an occasional pop. I have had pop since surgery. I drink it slow. A 20 ounce bottle is at least a full day. I have a bottle of Diet Berries and Cream Dr. Pepper in my desk at work. It's been 3 days so far on the one bottle. I'm a strong believer of all things in moderation. I've not had any ill-effects of carbonation. I *DON'T* suggest you try and drink it with food that tends to get stuck as that is VERY uncomfortable. You're probably better off without it, but if you can handle it in moderation, I doubt the world will come crashing down. (I've even had a Diet Coke with rum or Jack Daniels in it and I'm still alive.)

Tom

I was told that the carbonation increases the size of the pouch.

The other tidbit I found interesting is that the he mentioned the area of the brain that controls hunger is the same area the thirst, the need for exercise and the need for sex. His recommendation is before eating, to increase the other areas first. If you've drank, exercised and had sex and are still hungry, then that is probably what you need but often times, you need one of the other three and your brain gets confused and makes you think you need food.

Tom

So, all I need to do is have more sex? Ill let my husband know!

"They" say that sometimes when we think we want to eat, we really need Water, exercise, or sex. Maybe that machine IS the answer!

I swore off my dear diet Coke when I got banded, but I've slid..... when we are out to eat, I sometiimes order a DC, knowing that I'll only get a few sips before the meal comes and I have to push it aside and not drink. Satisfies that little urge.

When I get stuck, it's sometimes because I gulped instead of chewed and swallowed a tiny bit. and it's sometimes because I just shouldn't ahve eaten it....gooey things that seal over the opening. I assume all my stucks are stuck at the top of the band/bottom of the pouch. I often feel my fullness in my throat and I was worried that that was too late... but dr. says for some people the fullness sensation is referred. It'a actually happening in the right place, but the senssation gets transferred to the throat.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has found good alcoholic beverages to drink while out? I don't drink much, but love wine coolers, and now that I don't want to even try the carbonation, I always have to take my blender and my own mixers to parties....can be a pain in the neck. I just don't have a clue as to what you can just buy, ready to drink, thats sortof like a wine cooler, or sweet in otherwords. I don't really like the taste of alcohol, so I don't know. Any ideas? I love white russians, and mudslides, but again, pain in the butt.

Kristi

I have thought about adding vodka to some crystal light or koolaid, but who knows? I as seriously in need of some helpLOL.

If you don't like alcohol why bother......but in any case. In the liquer store you can get mudslides & White Russains in premixed bottles. You can also find the mixes where you just need to add the alcohol. I like Blue Hawiians, sweet & nice.... Go to the liquer store and ask. There are many that are premixed.

As to the vaccuuming, with 3 house dogs that like to bring the great outdoors in, I doubt I'll ever run out but if I do, I'll keep you in mind. :heh:

Tom

I know what you mean. We have 4 darn dogs!