Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

Pecan Nut Crust

This is a great pie crust, particularly for pumpkin pie, but it could be used for other custard/pudding fillings. It really helps to start out with pecans from the freezer, because then the butter blends through but quickly sets up so the "mass" is pliable.

INGREDIENTS:<O:p

• 1 cup pecan pieces (frozen)
  • 2 T melted butter
  • 2 T worth sweetening power from artificial sweetener of your choice

PREPARATION:

1. Take pecans out of the freezer and measure them into a food processor (you can use a blender, but be careful not to blend them down too small). Pulse the processor until the largest pieces are as big as lentils or split peas.

2. Add the butter and the sweetener (I prefer ”liquid Splenda”). Blend until it's mixed evenly and then quickly

3. Dump it into a pie pan, and push with your fingers to cover the bottom and sides. It should be the right consistency to mold the crust to the pie pan evenly.

Nutritional Analysis: Whole crust is 4.5 grams effective carbohydrate plus 10.5 grams Fiber, 10 grams of Protein, 101 grams fat, 950 Calories

Low Carb pumpkin Pie

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 15 oz can pumpkin
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened soy milk (or milk or cream - milk has more carbs, so adjust)
  • 1/3 cup cream
  • 1 C sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener
  • 1 teaspoon dark molasses (optional)
  • 2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 scant teaspoon t nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • Pinch cloves
  • 1/4 t salt

PREPARATION:<O:p

As an artificial sweetener, I prefer a form of liquid sucralose, as powdered types have more carbs and sometimes an off-taste.

1) Preheat oven to 425 F. <O:p

2) Dump all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and whirl to blend.

3) Pour into the crust.

4) Put the pie in the oven and immediately turn the oven down to 375 F. In 15 minutes, turn the oven down to 300 F. (This cooks the crust, so it isn't soggy, but then allows the custard to bake more slowly.) Bake until almost set in the middle, about 30-40 minutes more. If it starts to crack a bit around the edges, it's probably done.

Nutritional Analysis: 8 servings, without crust: 3.5 grams effective carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber, 3 grams protein, 5.5 grams fat, 80 calories.

With pecan crust, each serving is 4 grams effective carbohydrate with 3.4 grams fiber

:bolt:

You guys will get a kick out of this. This weekend I drove my Mom to her best friend's birthday party in another state. Mom is 90. I was getting tired on the drive up, so I put my ipod shuffle on...It's all my upbeat workout music. Mom wanted to hear what it sounded like, so she put it on and was surprised that I had a lap band song on there. What? A lap band song? Mom doesn't hear well. So she started singing it in that overly loud off key way that we all sing when we have headphones on.... it was Donna Summers...."Lap band. Lap band for loooove. Yes it's my lap band lap band toniiiiight....."<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Thanks, Betsyjane for your advice. I ended up going in yesterday on sunday and they opened the clinic for me. She took out 3.5 mm so that I could get some fluids down. I felt so dehydrated. Anyway I'm good now.....I LOVE THE NEW SONG !!! That's so cute what your mom did. We could make that into our theme song for all us bandsters..

GREAT SITE! Thanks for sending it. I think I need to eat more Protein. I think my caloric intake is too low. I need to find out how much protein is in an oz of chicken or meat......I don't think I get enough. I try to drink a 1/2 a shake for Breakfast and I try to eat one Protein Bar that has 10grams.... plus my food. Ill lookl into this. I can't believe that I could possibly be a victim of "poor nutrition"! Ha, go figure!

Hi!

www.sparkpeople.com you can input all you eat and it gives you a total individually and for the day of protein and calories and nutrients i use it every day...well not in Paris! he he Check it out! You can then see you are probaly eatinf way to few calories and low ptein from what you say.

I am back from Paris...it was great! walked miles a day rarely used a car or the metro. I will be posting more on myspace page soon...link below.

Glad to be back!:bolt:

Well, I guess maybe I will stop taking the Viactive! We don't have a Whole Foods or a Trader Joes here, but maybe I'll see what they have at Vitamin Cottage. So, Angela, tell us more about the sub-lingual supplements for Hair loss, please.

Well besides the sublinguals proper intake of enough nutrients mostly Protein helps. It is B12, B6 and Folic acid all combined in a sublingual and sold at most high quality health food stores. GNC is Not really a health food store by the way... high prices low quality. If you someone who lives near a Trader Joe's or whole foods that can mail you some if you are not near one then it is good...they are small bottles since the pills are so tiny. Do not swallo them...the vits. are absorbed under the tongue going directly into the blood stream. In the stomach only a small amount is absorbed.

Below is info from a medical journal. Bandsters need to supplement Biotin especially the first months due to the Liquid Protein diets we are on post-op which deprive us of Biotin or if we are not eating enough.

The first symptoms to develop in biotin deficiency are associated with the skin and hair.< /span>

Symptoms develop within 3-5 weeks of the onset of deficient biotin intake. The most common cutaneous findings are the following:

Dry skin

Seborrheic dermatitis

Fungal infections

Rashes including erythematous periorofacial macular rash

Fine and brittle hair

Hair loss or total alopecia

Approximately 1-2 weeks later, neurologic symptoms begin to develop. The most common neurologic findings are the following:

Mild depression, which may progress to profound lassitude and, eventually, to somnolence

Changes in mental status

Generalized muscular pains (myalgias)

Hyperesthesias and paresthesias

Intestinal tract symptoms also develop and most commonly include the following:

Nausea, occasionally severe

Vomiting

Anorexia

Physical: Typically, individuals with biotin deficiency are healthy before the onset of the biotin-deficient state. Growth and stature are normal. Regardless of the etiology of biotin deficiency, clinical manifestations are essentially the same in all patients; however, the rate of symptom development and sequence in which symptoms appear can differ remarkably. Physical manifestations are confined to the skin and hair, central and peripheral nervous systems, and intestinal tract.

Skin and hair: The first signs to develop in biotin deficiency are associated with the skin and hair. Dry skin is a consistent finding and is often associated with seborrheic dermatitis, which can be severe. The skin lesions provide an ideal environment for fungal infections that may be resistant to treatment until the biotin-deficient state is reversed. An erythematous periorofacial macular rash is a frequent finding. The hair quickly becomes fine and brittle, and total alopecia often develops.

Central and peripheral nervous systems: The neurologic signs are multiple and nonspecific. They include mild depression, which may progress to profound lassitude, and eventually, somnolence. Occasionally, changes in mental status are observed. Generalized muscular pains (myalgias), hyperesthesias, and paresthesias are frequent findings that occasionally become disabling.

Intestinal tract: Nausea, occasionally severe, is an occasional finding, as is anorexia. These problems are rarely severe enough to significantly interfere with the adequate oral intake of food.< /span>

Causes: Causes of biotin deficiency include the following:

Eating raw egg whites: Eating raw egg whites is commonly believed to be the only way to develop biotin deficiency. Although this is not true, consuming raw egg whites is a relatively certain (and quick) way to develop biotin deficiency.

Total parenteral nutrition without biotin supplementation or similar a Protein Shake diet: Several cases of biotin deficiency have been reported in patients receiving prolonged total parenteral nutrition (TPN) therapy without added biotin. Therefore, administration of biotin at the recommended daily dose to any patient receiving TPN is strongly recommended, especially if TPN is expected to last more than 1 week. Today, all hospital pharmacies include biotin in TPN preparations.

Anticonvulsant therapy: Prolonged use of certain drugs, especially phenytoin, primidone, and carbamazepine, may lead to biotin deficiency; however, valproic acid therapy does not cause this condition. Some anticonvulsants inhibit biotin transport across the intestinal mucosa. Evidence suggests that these anticonvulsants accelerate biotin catabolism. Therefore, supplemental biotin, in addition to the usual minimum daily requirements, has been suggested for patients who are treated with anticonvulsants that have been linked to biotin deficiency.

Prolonged oral antibiotic therapy: Prolonged use of oral antibiotics has been associated with biotin deficiency. Alterations in the intestinal flora caused by the prolonged administration of antibiotics are presumed to be the basis for biotin deficiency.

If anyone of you want Vitamins that have been tested and approved by ComsumerLab...Centrum chewables is Approved. I know that ComsumerLab has tested and approved vitamins from iherb.com, vitaminlife.com or puritan.com You can read more on their website.

Thanks, Marni, for the encouragement. I will be getting another fill in 8 weeks, and I'm sure that will make the difference. I finally did feel some restriction today (a little!) and it felt good! I would almost be happy to experience a PB, just to know that this is working! :nervous

Karen

I hear ya. I was like, wow, I definitely feel a difference. Feels better to know it is working!

hello everyone i was banded11-27-06 my starting weight was 2335 now im 207 i dont feel that im losing or gaining weight in the last 2 months . any advice please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assume you meant 235 not 2,335.... so you lost 28 lbs.... I was banded 11/29 and have lost 31. You seem to be right on track. Remember 1-2 lbs a week is what is expected. Keep up the good work!

Marni....

Even my doctor didn't give me as much information on what to eat, etc. that is on this site.

http://www.lsaobesity.com/Lap-BandDietGuide.htm I thought it was very helpful. I have been eating more and more Protein and less carbs.

Also, I recently read a book by a Dr. Richard K. Bernstein who is diabetic. He totally believes in more protein and less carbs for anyone who wants to lose weight or control their diabetes. I don't know if you are diabetic or not, but I'm sure we all want to lose weight. The book is called Diabetes Solutions. He has a website too.

http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/

I have been trying my darnest to get off carbs. It is hard and especially with two children and a thin husband around.

Yes, I am diabetic. However, I was on metphrmin & insulin and am now on NOTHING. I have been diabetic for 11 years and VERY insulin resistant. I have been this weight before and still on drugs but I guess it is the smaller portions and lower carb intake that is doing it. I kid you not, I am FINALLY on NO MEDS!

That is great Marni. No Drugs!!! Scary to think what our food is doing to our bodies. Diabetic, cancer, heart attacks. My brother is having heart surgery next week and he is 38. I think being on powder suppliments is better than eating all this stuff that is doing really bad things to our bodies. You have to wonder what all this packaged food with preservatives is doing to us. Microwave foods. Meals out of a box.

Makes you not want to eat anything but organic or raw. The way God intended our food to begin with. I finally dropped to 220 this week. I am so close to Onederland that I can TASTE it!!!!!:) I am determined to hit it by May!!!!! I want to wear shorts this summer darn it!!! I will have to spray the tan on but want to say bye bye to cottage cheese thighs!!!

Summer is near and I want to actually be able to wear summer cloths with out feeling so self contious about looking chunky monkey. Who is with me Bandsters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to start a Bandster Marathon for motivation.:bolt:

Yes, I am diabetic. However, I was on metphrmin & insulin and am now on NOTHING. I have been diabetic for 11 years and VERY insulin resistant. I have been this weight before and still on drugs but I guess it is the smaller portions and lower carb intake that is doing it. I kid you not, I am FINALLY on NO MEDS!

I am very excited to here that you are free!

YEAH, MARNI!!! Great news and a hopeful message for the rest of us!! I'm so happy for you!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Karen

Speaking of no perservatives...Did you know that Frito's have no perservatives and only three ingredients? ;)

Just remember "natural" isn't always good or good for you. Fecal matter is all natural but that doesn't mean I want to eat it! :heh: