Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

Betsyjane, Hang in there .....u are not alone.

Count me in, in the Slow Losers Club!!! Frustrating, but remember that at least we are not gaining!!!:faint:

Karen

Angela, have a wonderful trip to France!! We will miss you here, so post as soon as you get back and tell us all about it!!!

Have a great time!! :clap2:

Karen

So check this one out. My DH knows someone that had the band. He's always telling me how I should feel, how it should be etc.... So I find out last night that this lady tells him that she can't understand why I keep going for fills and adjustments....That her doctor filled her up to the max at the begining, I think from the surgery, and that was it. I told him that that is not how it is supposed to be. I also told him that maybe she has hunger pains is becuase she is actually not filled at all. However, she did lose 90 lbs in a year so I don't know.... But how bizarre. All of our doctors certainly have different approaches with treatments and diet but I have yet to hear anything like this!

Ok everyone...I am off to Paris!!! I will check from there and see how youa re all doing! I hope I don't go crazy with the food!:( :faint:

There is a page on this site where they were talking about Sharon Osbourne saying she was going to have her Band removed. Why would you want to do that? She said she has had problems with binging and balemia. food has become as addictive as cig's or heroine. I guess we all have our vises. I hope all of you have a great weekend and Angela have a great time in Paris. Get yourself a sexy french man.....ooo la la!!!!

I just heard a radio show today with a lap band Dr. being interviewed. He said that the people who "get it" (meaning lose a lot and consistently) are the ones who use the band for one thing----to realize they don't feel hungry anymore. Consequently they limit themselves to 3 solid low fat ,high Protein, high Fiber meals with no snacking....and then spend their time dealing with the emotional issues of losing food as a companion. Period. That's his summary.

He said that those people who "get it" from the beginning may not even need any fills. Everybody else has to learn it somewhere along the way.

He said the Atkins diet works best, and said eating mushy foods (and sliders) is as bad as eating liquids: Food should have to be a big effort to chew chew chew until liquid. Period. "No fat person has ever chewed their food well enough...They couldn't and still get all those calories in in a meal." "One reason for the mushy diet at first is to get people used to chewing food well enough."

What do you think?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I just heard a radio show today with a lap band Dr. being interviewed. He said that the people who "get it" (meaning lose a lot and consistently) are the ones who use the band for one thing----to realize they don't feel hungry anymore. Consequently they limit themselves to 3 solid low fat ,high Protein, high fiber meals with no snacking....and then spend their time dealing with the emotional issues of losing food as a companion. Period. That's his summary.

He said that those people who "get it" from the beginning may not even need any fills. Everybody else has to learn it somewhere along the way.

He said the Atkins diet works best, and said eating mushy foods (and sliders) is as bad as eating liquids: Food should have to be a big effort to chew chew chew until liquid. Period. "No fat person has ever chewed their food well enough...They couldn't and still get all those calories in in a meal." "One reason for the mushy diet at first is to get people used to chewing food well enough."

What do you think?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

BestyJane, I think if you ask enough people, doctors included, you'll find any answer you want to find. There are so many different "diets" out there because there are so many different people. More and more, the movement seems to be small, frequent meals even for those that don't have the band. I know with the diabetes education I went through, they suggested more frequent intake of food to help balance the highs and lows of blood sugar. To me, it makes perfect sense to have a small consistent supply of energy (food) over "tanking up" and having peaks and valleys in energy. There is a definite balance in getting enough nutrition without overeating and I can see where, for some, eating several times a day could lead to overconsumption. When you look at the calorie content of different foods, it could be very easy to eat 300+ calories at each sitting and if you're eating 5-6 times a day, that could be too much, depending on your caloric needs.

Even though we all have the common bond of the band, the bottom line is that we're all very much individuals. Each of us will have to tailor our diets to our specific needs and what works for us. I do eat 5+ times a day. I rarely consume liquid calories other than a yogurt smoothie each day as it's more convenient to sip than spoon while working. I'm very conscious of what I eat and work very hard not to consume more than 1200 or so calories a day and try to keep it under 1000 on most days. (I did have a chocolate martini last night and I'm sure I totally blew my calories for the week!) I'm VERY happy with my weight loss progress and my shrinking clothing size. I'm sure as I continue on this Quest, I'll have to adapt to my changing body its changing needs. If nothing else, the band has put me much more in tune with my body and what it needs to function.

Bottom line is if your progressing at a level you're happy with, continue what you're doing. If you're not, look at making some HEALTHY changes to get you moving more in the direction you want to be. Just be VERY careful not to expect too much or set goals too high. Remember, and I know it has been said time and time again, 1 pound per week average, is good. More is not always a good thing. (The week I went without eating because of a too tight band and lost 10 pounds is when I suddenly noticed everything starting to sag!)

Tom

It's interesting, isn't it? I truly believe 6 small meals is healthier. I also know that right now, I would never feel full that way with the band. I'm thinking maybe later that will be possible for me. And I also know I need to tackle my grazing issues, so 3 meals and no Snacks resonates with me...for now. that's a good point that we have to keep adjusting as our bodies do. It's truly a long term education!

Having a proper fill seems to be key. When I am filled correctly, I can basically go without snacking. HOWEVER, being diabetic, my sugar levels don't always cooperate with this plan. I think the main thing is you must consume less then you burn, hence, weight loss!

This is a little embarrasing but I will admit that my friend, DH, Kids & I all attempted to do push ups and sit ups. Let me start by saying OH MY GOD! Have any of you tried to do a push up? It took every ounce of strength and energy I had to lift back up. SO, I will tell you that I managed to do 2, YES 2 push ups and about 5 sit ups... Today my arm hurts to the slightest brush and my belly feels like I popped my overies! The good news is is that I tried this and will look back on this day with a laugh.... How I was once 300 lbs and felt like I got hit by a truck after doing 2 pursh ups and 5 sit ups!

This is a little embarrasing but I will admit that my friend, DH, Kids & I all attempted to do push ups and sit ups. Let me start by saying OH MY GOD! Have any of you tried to do a push up? It took every ounce of strength and energy I had to lift back up. SO, I will tell you that I managed to do 2, YES 2 push ups and about 5 sit ups... Today my arm hurts to the slightest brush and my belly feels like I popped my overies! The good news is is that I tried this and will look back on this day with a laugh.... How I was once 300 lbs and felt like I got hit by a truck after doing 2 pursh ups and 5 sit ups!

I have never been able to do a push-up. :cry My hat is off to you.

I applaud your 2 push-ups.:clap2:

My hero! Actually, if you want to ease into it, get an exercise ball and do pushups over it. The farther back the ball is on your body, the harder the pushup.