Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

Tom, You are a plethera of information!!!! You should go back to school to be a DR. I seriously do not count calories I just try to get full and that is it. I was thinking this morning of making a diary of my food eat day and the amount. I will start trying to count calories and Protein to see if it makes a difference. So 1250 calories a day and how much Protein? I guess there are carb's in potatoes so I am getting carbs from that. I just don't eat any bread anymore or chips or pretzels like I used too. Thanks for the info and I am going to start my diary today.

Vikki, the 1250 would be a rough guide just based on your weight. A more accurate measure would be using your weight, height and age. (If your provide them, I'll calculate it if math isn't your thing.)

Other, more healthy sources of carbs are whole-grain pastas or brown rice. I'll often include them in Soups to give some umph. In moderation, of course.

The food diary is great way of keeping yourself on track. When I did the pre-surgery "diet" to qualify, I was afraid if I put a "less than ideal" food choice down, I'd have to face the wrath of the dietician. It was enough to make me think twice before opening that bag of salt and vinegar chips.< /p>

Tom

So I finally got my fill. All of a sudden I was hungry. I mean stomach growling hungry. So he filled me. I still lost 3 lbs from the 2 weeks before. I thought I would feel really restricted but Im not sure if I notice much differenc. Maybe a little. I go back in 2 weeks for my 3 month follow up. So, Im down like 25 lbs and was banded on 11/29. I try to convince myself that this is good. However, my friend had no surgery and she's lost about 20 lbs doing what I do....She definitely eats a bit more but it seems to be working.

The band isn't going to make you lose weight. Eating less (and exercising more!) will. If your friend is able to consume a comparable amount of calories she's going to lose a comparable amount of weight. Most of us, though, have tried to do that many, many times before and found that we could not sustain long-term reduction of food. If we could, we wouldn't be on this forum!

We're all individuals here as are our "unbanded" friends. Don't compare too much to others. Each of us have successes and set backs. (Welcome to life! :faint: ) What works for one person may not for the next. All we can do is share what is and is not working and hopefully it helps someone else. It may be that you have to modify what works for someone else. And again, don't forget to reward yourself (a non-food reward) for what you have done. I think everybody here weighs less than they did before they got the band. That's a good thing. Keep up the work. Some may lose 5-6 pounds a week, some may lose .5-1. But losing is a good thing!

Tom

Thanks for the advice Angela. Since you are a natual health nut what do you get most of your protien from. I can't seem to get chix down and tried to have soft pot roast last night and no go. Is just getting protien from powder Protein mix enough? What foods do you suggest? I am having a hard time figuring the food out since it is hard to get anything down. It seems like one day I can get something down then I try to eat it again the next day and it gets stuck??? IT is a crap shoot anymore. I know having hot liquids before does help open it up.

Don't Sweat it, Vickie. I think you are on track with your weight loss. You've lost more than me and I was banded 2 weeks before you. Take the great advice from everybody .........and have patience...lots of it. You will do great.:clap2: Kelley

So I finally got my fill. All of a sudden I was hungry. I mean stomach growling hungry. So he filled me. I still lost 3 lbs from the 2 weeks before. I thought I would feel really restricted but Im not sure if I notice much differenc. Maybe a little. I go back in 2 weeks for my 3 month follow up. So, Im down like 25 lbs and was banded on 11/29. I try to convince myself that this is good. However, my friend had no surgery and she's lost about 20 lbs doing what I do....She definitely eats a bit more but it seems to be working.

Is that your first fill? I didn't feel alot of restriction on my first fill at all. As far as your weight loss.....25lbs is great. Don't compare yourself to other peoples weight loss....it will drive you crazy.. Go in the store and big up 25 lbs of butter..that's alot of fat gone for good. Congrats to U:scared: Kelley

Is that your first fill? I didn't feel alot of restriction on my first fill at all. As far as your weight loss.....25lbs is great. Don't compare yourself to other peoples weight loss....it will drive you crazy.. Go in the store and big up 25 lbs of butter..that's alot of fat gone for good. Congrats to U:scared: Kelley

Thanks tom & kelly. It's just hard. I think I just try to justify spending the money and all this effort. Even if I had to spend $17,000 to motivate me, that it did. I am pleased with my results.

What is your typical food day? What do you eat and how much? Curious to see what others are doing and looking for some variety for myself. Thanks!

What is your typical food day? What do you eat and how much? Curious to see what others are doing and looking for some variety for myself. Thanks!

Here's what I might have on a typical day:

4-6 oz. Spicy V8 juice

1 pouched egg with a tablespoon of shredded low fat cheese

1/4 bagel with 1/4 teaspoon of low-fat margarine

1/2 cup of no-fat cottage cheese

1/2 cup of fruit (strawberries, mixed berries, banana, etc.)

(Above is spread out from 6:00 AM - 9:00 AM)

1 cup mixed salad greens

1/4 cup chopped vegetables (carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber)

1 small Roma Tomato

2 oz of low fat meat (shrimp, tuna, crab meat, chicken)

1 tablespoon low-fat dressing

(Above is eaten around 11:15)

7 oz sippable yogurt smoothie (~2:00)

1 South Beach Meal Replacement bar (~4:00)

2 ounces of low fat meat (see above)

1/2 cup mixed vegetables (frozen)

1/2 cup no-fat skim milk

1 tablespoon shredded low fat cheese

(above is eaten as a Soup ~ 8:00)

1/2 cup no-fat skim milk

1/2 cup Protein Powder

1/2 cup fruit (see above)

(above eated as a milk shake ~10:00)

:hungry:

This is my first week of feeling restriction, and boy has it changed what I eat!

6AM-8AM: Protein Shake (muscle milk light and some pulverized berries), my pills and my Vitamin.< /p>

10AM: 2 tablespoons of 2% cottage cheese

noon: either 2 eggs scrambled or 2 eggbeaters scrambled or half a chicken breast as Protein, and either grilled or raw or both vegetables

3PM Protein shake

6PM 4 oz fish with either veges or cottage cheese or yogurt. Or fish or chicken or turkey and vegetable home made Soup.< /p>

Oberhasi & BestsyJane- Thanks for the replies. I hope others share too. My days typically look something like:

Protein Bar

Coffee<O:p></O:p>

String Cheese<O:p></O:p>

Crystal Light<O:p></O:p>

Zucchini<O:p></O:p>

4 slices South Beach Diet lunch meat<O:p></O:p>

4 oz. chicken<O:p></O:p>

½ Protein Bar<O:p></O:p>

I am really wanting more variety and to get in all the different types of food that I am suppose to have. Not sure how yet. Looking at others helps. I love lapbandtalk.

Oberhasi & BestsyJane- Thanks for the replies. I hope others share too. My days typically look something like:

Protein Bar

Coffee<O:p></O:p>

Zucchini<O:p></O:p>

4 slices South Beach Diet lunch meat<O:p></O:p>

4 oz. chicken<O:p></O:p>

½ Protein Bar<O:p></O:p>

I am really wanting more variety and to get in all the different types of food that I am suppose to have. Not sure how yet. Looking at others helps. I love lapbandtalk.

The Protein Bars are a good source of protein but really watch the calories on them. You may try incorporating more dairy products through fat-free milk, fat-free yogurt and fat-free cottage cheese. I can usually tolerate lean ground-beef (either grilled or crumbled and browned with grease drained), especially if in a Soup. 1-2 ounces of meat in a 1/2 cup of fat-free milk, a bit of low-fat cheese and some vegetables makes a decent soup. You might try adding some more, and varied, vegetables. I see no fruit. Those can be incorporated by mixing in a Protein Shake, which can also give you more dairy if made with the fat-free milk. Fruit as is can be good too. Fruit in sugar-free Jello works. Sugar-free pudding made with fat-free milk is decent. Peanut Butter is a great source of protein, just watch the serving size and it is not low calorie.

HTH,

Tom

I'm not a fan of sugar or sugar substitutes, except some Stevia now and then. I've really enjoyed homemade Soups with meat and veges in then. I'm using up that Better than Boullion base that I had for right after surgery. How about cottage cheese with little bits of fruit in it. Grilled vegetables, sometimes not eating the skins if they bother you. Egg dishes.

I haven't tried, but I was wondering about some of the frozen dinners that come out mushie and covered with sauces....I might try eating a quarter of one for a change of pace. I'm trying to stick with unprocessed stuff, but a change might be nice.....

Tom- Your idea with the fruit and smoothies is great. I do have a hard time getting in everything I need and your right about the calories in the Protein bars. I try to pick the ones with the least I can find and the highest protein (and low carbs). I'm going to try and replace them with some shakes this week. :)

Betsyjane- I have done some of the frozen meals and they are ok when you don't feel like cooking or if your in a hurry, but I find "real" foods are more satisfying so you are smart trying to avoid. I keep a few on hand for those occasions when I need a quick meal.:hungry:

Betsyjane- I have done some of the frozen meals and they are ok when you don't feel like cooking or if your in a hurry, but I find "real" foods are more satisfying so you are smart trying to avoid. I keep a few on hand for those occasions when I need a quick meal.:hungry:

Hi,

I make food as if I was cooking for two people. I eat my portion(s) and then put my size servings in individual little Glad containers that hold about 8 oz. I freeze them adn then anytime I want a meal to take to work I have a variety to choose from. I also separate left overs from restaurants as soon as I get home and put them in the little containers. I ahve had restaurant meals last me for 3-4 meals!

My typical day looks like this ( if I don't eat out)

Water first!

Protein mocha made with almond milk or a protein fruit smoothie. early morning

1-2 eggs and fake bacon or sausage (Morningstar) -mid morning If I am at work I might have a Protein Bar instead

Lunch___ 3-4 oz of fish, chicken or sometimes beef --in may forms...with a little soy Pasta, or brown rice, in my own low carb chili, stew, etc. and always with some veggies.

Mid-afternoon- coffee and a protein bar---low carb or a Jello 60 cal pudding

dinner-3-4oz of chicken, fish or other ( all organic by the way...no hormones, etc.) Veggies

sometimes a high protein snack if I am hungry after dinner.< /p>

for me keeping my protein high is the best and healthiest choice. Don't forget we need a minimum of 65g of protein a day, but it is really not enough. For better results in weight loss the more protein the better and also you avoid Hair loss, and other bandster problems.

I need alot of flavor so I always vary the types of food...chinese, indian, latin, mexican, etc. I just try to keep it low cal, low fat, high protein.

I love seasonings... I was in Thailand last year and picked up an incredible low fat Thai cookbook by Green. since I've been banded, I'm enjoying everything in it!