Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

I have been on liquids and even the low carb Protein Drinks. You would think the weight would be flying off but its not. I am diabetic so the doc says it is harder to loose the weight.

I have been told that the goal at this stage is to heal. Once that is done and you get fills to adjust the band so you can eat foods and feel full and loosing 2 to 3 lbs a month. I did loose 10lbs on the pre-op diet but not much since then.

Tom

It's true diabetes slows down loss, but later you will catch up! Healing is the most important part right now...you will lose some anyway!:)

I have been on liquids and even the low carb Protein drinks. You would think the weight would be flying off but its not. I am diabetic so the doc says it is harder to loose the weight.

I have been told that the goal at this stage is to heal. Once that is done and you get fills to adjust the band so you can eat foods and feel full and loosing 2 to 3 lbs a month. I did loose 10lbs on the pre-op diet but not much since then.

Tom

I only lost 1/2 pound this past week but am not unhappy as I'm down 16.5 pounds in 5 weeks since surgery. Like the "other" Tom's doctor, my doctor doesn't expect extreme weight loss with the band. His expectations are about 1 pound per week which is a MUCH healthier way to lose than dropping drastic amounts at one time. I too am diabetic but since surgery have maintained healthy blood sugars without any medicines at all. A couple of the meds I was on for diabetes caused weight gain but they want you to lose weight to control the diabetes. That was one of the reasons I opted for the band. I knew losing weight would help control the diabetes and I could get off, or at least reduce, the number of drugs I have to take. I get filled next Monday. Now, if I could get the doctor's office to get the disability paperwork correct, life would be good. As it is, my employer paid me for hours that have now been denied so my check at the end of the month is going to have those hours removed which means I won't get squat. HAPPY NEW YEAR! At least I don't eat as much so the grocery bill isn't as high. <G>

Tom

I had my first fill Monday. I haven't seen this on any of the posts, but here's what I did.... After the fill, I just felt this unbelievable urge to test it and find out what it was like. I was told to eat soft food for 2 days , and that it would swell and I probably wouldn't be able to eat much that evening. So I ate. Nothing. I ate more. Nothing. The rest of Monday, I ate more than I should, chewed less, ate the wrong things. It was totally strange and disheartening-I was mad at myself and disappoiinted in the fill.

So the next day, this morning.... I ate what I should, measured portions and calories, did my Water correctly, chewed, slowed down....and I was full after 4 ounces this morning, and 6 ounces at noon. Everything is just fine.

I guess I can plow through anything...or I can slow way down and let the band help me. Scary to know that I can binge if I want. Satisfying to know that I feel full and not at all like binging.

I am also diabetic, and I've never been able to lose weight without daily exercise. For me, it's a treadmill at a gym. I hate regular exercise and I want to know that I'm getting absolutely efficient exercise, not wasting a minute, and get it over with. I want to watch TV or listen to music, shut my eyes, have the treadmill figure out how to keep me at my target heart rate, and have the darned thing shut off when I'm finished. For that short stupid annoying time, I pay $25 a month to the gym, but at least I know I'm getting it in. Then I can do stairs instead of escalators, play with my dogs, or whatever, but I know I also got in that one perfect exercise time.

Don't forget at firsdt you can retain Water and also if you have not had a BM it will make you gain weight....it is best not to weigh yourself every day. once a week is OK. also vary the number of cals...600 all the time is not good....too low and the body thinks it is in starvation mode. Make sure you also are getting the amouint of Protein you need.

Hi Angela and fellow bandsters- You were so right Angela, last night I had a healthy BM and also got rid of a lot of water and today I am 4.5 lbs down!!! Yay!!:clap2: I am going to stop weighing myself everyday!

weight.png

Hi Angela and fellow bandsters- You were so right Angela, last night I had a healthy BM and also got rid of a lot of Water and today I am 4.5 lbs down!!! Yay!!:clap2: I am going to stop weighing myself everyday!:rockon:

Where else can we get so excited about such things as a BM? :omg:

As they say, --it happens!

Congratulations on the weight loss!

Tom

I was banded on Nov 24th and I feel like I am finally getting energy back. I was very, very tired for the first week. You need to sip, sip, sip more Water. Just keep a bottle filled with you at all times. I even carry one in my purse and just try to keep fluids in me. I have always been a big water drinker but used to gulping it down. Having to only sip is new for me. I am starting to eat more solids and do not feel restricted which is discouraging me a little. I have my first fill on Jan 6th. I am just trying to concentrate on getting lots of Protein. I bought a big jug of protien powder and make shakes with ice, yogurt, and a banana every day. It really does help with my energy. I am trying to get off of coffee since the day of my surgery I had a Migraine from not having any all day. I decided it is time to get off the coffee if I am getting that addicted to it. Good luck with everyone and I am really loving reading everyone's progress. It has been a huge support for me since I am not in a group and feel a little one my own. No one knows I had this done and I feel like I am living with this little dirty secret.........but its not. I just don't feel like having a conversation about my weight every time I see someone because of them asking me all kinds of questions. Does anyone else feel that way? Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where else can we get so excited about such things as a BM? :omg:

As they say, --it happens!

Congratulations on the weight loss!

Tom

:) That is so the truth!! I was just getting so discouraged as I had gained 4 pounds the previous 2 days! So actually I am only down .5#. But since my surgery 11/29 I am now down 14 # yay!! This roller coster weight loss/gain is driving me crazy! I am still only on shakes and V8, I too, feel like the weight should be pouring off me, ah well it's bound to come off sooner or later!!:rant:Just keep pluggin away!!:)

weight.png

:) That is so the truth!! I was just getting so discouraged as I had gained 4 pounds the previous 2 days! So actually I am only down .5#. But since my surgery 11/29 I am now down 14 # yay!! This roller coster weight loss/gain is driving me crazy! I am still only on shakes and V8, I too, feel like the weight should be pouring off me, ah well it's bound to come off sooner or later!!:rant:Just keep pluggin away!!:)

I guess you were full of s..t. :guess

If it helps, remember that slow, consistent weight loss has a much better long-term success rate than rapid weight loss.

On my team of 16 at work, 2 had full gastric bypass. One in February and one 8 years ago. While I too would love to have more pounds dropping off, they're amazed at how well I'm doing physically. They were both off work more than 2 months. While their initial weight loss was more dramatic, the one that had the surgery in February is now losing about 1-2 pounds per week. Most of us are on target and didn't have near the trauma of the full bypass.

Tom

Oh my goodness YES! I was banded on 11/29 also. My last weigh in was at 255 at the drs. office. I did liquid diet for 1 week. My last weight was 260. One week after surgery I went down to 238. I went up to 244, now back down to 242. Now, I can't figure out HOW I COULD GAIN WEIGHT???????

Oh my gosh, sounds like we are having the same rollercoaster weight loss-

Angela was a great help when she suggested having a healthy BM:D-Also I think I am not drinking as much Water as I should be. In addition to that It might help if we make sure to get at least 800 calories a day. I wasn't doing that, I was getting only about 600, and I think my body was in starvation mode! Anyway I will keep plugging away until I figure out the right formula for my body, I am so dedicated to this being the answer to my prayers!!!

How is your energy level? I envisioned mine being a lot better than it is.

weight.png

Hi Angela and fellow bandsters- You were so right Angela, last night I had a healthy BM and also got rid of a lot of Water and today I am 4.5 lbs down!!! Yay!!:clap2: I am going to stop weighing myself everyday!:rockon:

Great!!! I am so glad you feel better!!!! Congrats on the weight loss!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I was banded on Nov 24th and I feel like I am finally getting energy back. I was very, very tired for the first week. You need to sip, sip, sip more Water. Just keep a bottle filled with you at all times. I even carry one in my purse and just try to keep fluids in me. I have always been a big Water drinker but used to gulping it down. Having to only sip is new for me. I am starting to eat more solids and do not feel restricted which is discouraging me a little. I have my first fill on Jan 6th. I am just trying to concentrate on getting lots of Protein. I bought a big jug of protien powder and make shakes with ice, yogurt, and a banana every day. It really does help with my energy. I am trying to get off of coffee since the day of my surgery I had a Migraine from not having any all day. I decided it is time to get off the coffee if I am getting that addicted to it. Good luck with everyone and I am really loving reading everyone's progress. It has been a huge support for me since I am not in a group and feel a little one my own. No one knows I had this done and I feel like I am living with this little dirty secret.........but its not. I just don't feel like having a conversation about my weight every time I see someone because of them asking me all kinds of questions. Does anyone else feel that way? Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE are here for you!!!!!:) :clap2: :clap2:

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile.. It is finals week in school.. CRAZY! I am to old to be dealing with this!!

I am glad everyone is doing well. I have been feeling my way around this band thing, waiting for my first fill on Jan 10th. It is hard to have control again. I thought the band would be my control, but with no swelling.. it is close to the same old tummy. There are things I can not eat.. pizza.. and bread. :cat: I look like a cat with a hair ball when I try... FUN!

I am still at 21 lb loss, and happy with that... I sorta just wanna get on with this...

I'm back gang.

I buried my father Thursday and have been struggling with several emotional distress since learning of his passing two weeks ago. As far as eating...I'm wide open and can eat what I did in the past. I try not to because I don't wanna put back on the 27 I lost in pre and post ... Luckily for me my surgeon does fills three weeks out. I was scheduled last week and had to move it back for the funeral so Iw ill go on Thursday to get my first fill. I have VG 11cc so wondering how much first fill will be.

My biggest problem is to date I haven't given up drinking with meals. I realize on Thursday I must start this or defeat the purpose of the band. It's a mental thing for me and right now I'm losing.

Hoping that once the pain of my loss lessens things will get back on track for me..

In the meantime...Vegge congrats on ur engagement girl. Karen thanks for you continued thoughts and prayers and be well all