Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Less Than A Year After Band Surgery, Nervous About Insurance Approval

Hi everyone, I had my band surgery December 2011 so it's been less than a year since I got the band. I was so excited to get the band and even though my doctor thought RNY or the sleeve would be a better fit based on my BMI (51), I felt like I could prove them wrong. I watched so many videos on youtube of people that were successful with the band and thought I could do it too. Unfortunately, I have not been and I've had issues with the band.

I lost 45 pounds but quickly gained it back after I had to have an almost complete unfill. I am back to my pre-surgery weight. My unfill occurred after I had went in for a fill and they gave me 2 ccs, which was apparently too much all at one time. I went home and started throwing up. I ended up in the ER, they poked and prodded me (the ER doctors didn't know how to do an unfill) and I had to wait until the next morning for them to unfill me so I was throwing up the entire night. It was awful. I got so irritated that I was throwing up blood and they had a difficult time accessing my port because of swelling. Lots of poking and prodding that hurt like hell. It took me awhile to go back for a fill, which feels like nothing. It feels like the band isn't even there. I've been sick recently with GI issues, lots of reflux now and even before I was sick, and I feel like I need more unfilled. I really want to have a revision to the sleeve and my doctor supports it. I have had nothing but problems with the band. I don't know if these problems would be regarded by insurance as actual complications though. My band is still in place and while I have port pain, the port is fine. I have Aetna and they will cover a revision if there are complications or if the person is 2 years out of band surgery and they have not lost weight following a diet and exercise program.

Has anyone had any luck either with Aetna or with getting a revision less than a year out of the original surgery or at a year?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to present the whole picture. Thanks!

I can't help you with your question because I had tht lovely band for 10 years! I too regained weight when I had to have the band emptied about 2-3 years after it was implanted. Well, that was after removing more and more fill trying to get the horrid reflux to stop.

I started out the sleeve journey with a BMI of 52. What I have observed is that lower BMI people seem much more likely to get to goal. My personal experience is that my hunger really returned at about month 7-8 and while I am still losing, it has slowed down alot. I am mentioning this because I want you to know what you might encounter when you have alot to lose.

I am happy with my choice of the sleeve though, I feel that I have been wildly successful and without the misery that a filled band brings. I do hope to lose another 35# or so, but I am pretty happy with where I am at now too.