Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger Headaches After Vsg

Ok once again I'm probably posting this in the wrong place. If I am please forgive me in advance.

I want to know if hunger headaches continue after surgery. I get headaches a lot due to lots of stuff but if I go a long time without eating I get a hunger headache. I'm worried after surgery when I can't eat ill have a headache all the time. Anyone else experience that it am I alone?

Head hunger gets even worse for about a week post op then it goes away.

Head hunger gets even worse for about a week post op then it goes away.

Oh Is that what head hunger means? I get excruciating headaches and I just always thought it was probably because my sugar was low. I am not diabetic but I just thought maybe because I'm going a long time without eating it gave me a headache. So you think that will go away?

I would get terrible headaches and a shakey feeling and get really irritated if I didnt eat for long periods of time, they were even worse when I cut the carbs out on the pre op diet but I have not had that issue after surgery. Only head pain I get is when I drink under the recommended Water amount. I guess when losing fat and releasing trapped hormones/toxins and such might give headaches if your super sensitive.

I haven't gotten a hunger headache. At first, I didn't get hungry and I ate on a schedule to get in my Protein and calories per day. I do get hungry now, but I still eat pretty much on a schedule to get in my Protein and to avoid wanting to snack. If I skip protein and Water now, my snack cravings go through the roof.

I do get hungry now too, but not the kind of hunger I had pre-op.

Keep in mind, everyone reacts to surgery a little differently, so your mileage may vary.

Lynda

I have been a long time headache and Migraine sufferer for 20 years, and I also got headaches when I dieted or skipped meals. My doctor told me I was most likely dehydrated, to which I scoffed. But I think he was right, when we go without food we also forget to drink healthy fluids like Water or tea. I have found that so long as I stay hydrated with 60-100oz per day, the headaches stay away. Granted, hormones are another beast, but plenty of water helps flush those right through the system as well. Since my surgery, I've actually had the fewest amount of headaches I've ever had. I'm sure my diet all those years with the refined sugars and carbs was not helping.

My mileage?

I have been a long time headache and Migraine sufferer for 20 years' date=' and I also got headaches when I dieted or skipped meals. My doctor told me I was most likely dehydrated, to which I scoffed. But I think he was right, when we go without food we also forget to drink healthy fluids like Water or tea. I have found that so long as I stay hydrated with 60-100oz per day, the headaches stay away. Granted, hormones are another beast, but plenty of Water helps flush those right through the system as well. Since my surgery, I've actually had the fewest amount of headaches I've ever had. I'm sure my diet all those years with the refined sugars and carbs was not helping.[/quote']

That's me exactly!! Maybe I need to drink more. I know I'm retaining water because my ankles are swollen and my ring wouldn't fit yesterday or today

Hunger headaches are something I have NOT experienced since being sleeved. For those of you hooked on caffeine, wean off well in advance of surgery! I think that if you don't do that you might have caffeine withdrawl headaches in the first week or two post op. I was warned on this one and so didn't have this problem.

"Head hunger" is a whole different thing. That is where people feel like they want to eat but it isn't caused by true hunger from an empty stomach. Head hunger is triggered by habits, visual or scent cues or perhaps emotions.

"Head hunger" is a whole different thing. That is where people feel like they want to eat but it isn't caused by true hunger from an empty stomach. Head hunger is triggered by habits' date=' visual or scent cues or perhaps emotions.[/quote']

Thanks for clearing that up. I am not having surgery until December but I think I will cut the caffeine now. I don't want any additional problems with headaches.

Ok once again I'm probably posting this in the wrong place. If I am please forgive me in advance.

I want to know if hunger headaches continue after surgery. I get headaches a lot due to lots of stuff but if I go a long time without eating I get a hunger headache. I'm worried after surgery when I can't eat ill have a headache all the time. Anyone else experience that it am I alone?

I'm so glad I found this - I am also worried about this.

I get headaches to the point of them becoming Migraines when i don't eat and that has me SO worried.

My surgery is scheduled for 11/20 and honestly that's one of my biggest concerns.

I appreciate the input from everyone and WILL cut out the caffeine - that's a really good point!

I'm not on a pre-op diet (other than restrict carbs) I think it's because I'm hovering at 202-205 right now...but maybe if I start some of the changes now it will be easier after surgery!

Thank you again!

Oh Is that what head hunger means? I get excruciating headaches and I just always thought it was probably because my sugar was low. I am not diabetic but I just thought maybe because I'm going a long time without eating it gave me a headache. So you think that will go away?

I don't know about headaches. I've never had one (really never). Head hunger is when your mind keeps telling you you need to eat and that you're hungry when you really aren't. Kinda like intense cravings.

My mileage?

It's Internet shorthard that means your results or experience could be different from mine.

Lynda

Thanks for clearing that up. I am not having surgery until December but I think I will cut the caffeine now. I don't want any additional problems with headaches.

I agree with cutting caffeine out early, so it won't affect you post-op. I love my coffee but I quit one month before surgery. It was a rough few days, but I was so grateful post-op to not have to deal with caffeine withdrawal.

Lynda

I know I would get really bad headaches for a few days after I would start a diet (pre-op). I think it's from dropping carbs and sugar and your body detoxing. I think after you are sleeved you won't have them anymore. I also agree detox on the sugar and caffeine early on so the transition to a sleeved diet will be much easier.