Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

23 Year Old Considering Vsg (Help!)

Hi!

I have been researching the weightloss surgeries for quite some time. I found myself to believe the sleeve would be the best option for me. I've completed my 6 month diet requirement and my doctor submitted to my insurance. I'm starting to have doubts and worries though.

Background:

23 years old

Struggled with weight since 1st grade

Married (happily)

2 beautiful children (one of each)

Husband has vasectomy (We are happy with 2) I tell you this because I'm childbearing age... no more kids for me though!

Mother had lapband with a lot of success but than gained the weight back and had it removed

I have struggled with weight my whole life. I don't want that for me kids. I want to be able to encourage them to exercise by example. My husband is 100% on board with whatever I decide is best for me. He says he will love me at any weight... bigger or smaller.. He is very supportive and is trying to be healthier too (he is technically considered obese, but he is muscle and not much fat. He was very into sports during his high school days and now he runs several mornings a week)

I chose to look into weightloss surgery so young because I don't want to wait until I have a bunch of health issues. I want to be healthy and live as long as I can for my children. I want to be confident in myself, feel comfortable in my skin, and be able to do sooo many things that I could never do now.

My concerns:

I am very young... do I want to make such an alteration at this age?! I feel I do, but is it what's best for me? What if it makes more problems down the road? What don't they know about this procedure?! What are your thoughts on a youngster having this done?? Do you wish you would have or glad you didn't (or did)

Eating: I obviously am still going to have to cook for my family. How is it going to affect my children? They are 19 months and 3.5 years old. They are still in the picky eaters stage of their lives. Will it be too hard for me to either make them a seperate meal or get them to eat better too? Moms with the sleeve: HELP!

I don't want criticism from people. I hate bringing attention to myself and I'm afraid people will talk. I know they will. I'm not sure how I would handle this situation. People will ask me what I'm doing to lose weight. Do I tell them exercising and eating less (which is no lie) or do I tell them about the sleeve??

Extra skin: I'm not sure what to think about this subject... I've had 2 children so I already have a poochy lower tummy. I don't want to have issues with skin rubbing and flopping out. I also don't have the kind of money to spend on cosmetic surgery. Not sure about this one...

Can I do this at such a young age???? Do you recommend it?

This is a scary decision to make.

I'm 5'8'' and weighed 288 pounds pre-diet. I've lost a little and now weigh 278. I would really like to lose 100+ pounds.

I've found I'm a stress eater... which I didn't know about myself until recently. If I wait too long and get too hungry then I overeat. Otherwise, I don't really have trouble with drinking a shake or eating small portions.

I am 31 and choosing to do this now, because health wise I have less risks for complications due to being "healthy". I too, do want to avoid the health issues that can come with the heavy weight. I dont feel you are doing it to young. You seem to know what you want in life, and have done the research and gone through the hoops. It is normal to have second thoughts, be nervous, scared, and worried as the time for surgery gets close. Just keep in mind the reason you started this process. I wish you luck.

You'll be really happy you had this done. I wish I had done it years ago.

Actually cooking for children is quite easy with the sleeve because you and your kids can share things.

It's great that you want to do this at a young age. why spend your life fat if you don't have to? In the beginning it's a little hard, when you can only eat a tiny bit. After awhile, you'll be eating small portions of normal foods. I'm 3 1/2 year out now, and very few people know I had surgery cause I eat so normally.

Hi Blessedw2,

I am nearly 64 so I am near the older end of the spectrum. Some of our concerns are the same some different.

I am very young... do I want to make such an alteration at this age?! I feel I do, but is it what's best for me? What if it makes more problems down the road? What don't they know about this procedure?! What are your thoughts on a youngster having this done?? Do you wish you would have or glad you didn't (or did)

My first answer would be a question: what have you done thus far to fight the fat? If you can defeat it some other way, that would be better. The operation isn't magical, it just helps you eat less. With a sleeve your stomach fights you, HARD, when you eat too much but some of the hunger causing gehrlin is reduced. If I could have just eaten what I've eaten for the last 8 months without the operation the result would have been the same. That being said, I truly think I could not have done it without the tool of the sleeve, the hunger would have defeated me.

I am not that informed on the "down the road" picture, I will leave that to my comrades.

I will answer about your age as though you were my daughter or granddaughter, your health is the most important thing. Getting rid of obesity needs to happen as soon as possible, it gets harder the older you get. The longer you are obese, the more comorbidities will arise. Your age is a big plus with this procedure, that young body can heal quickly and your muscles respond to exercise better. Your skin is more elastic as well, although some sagging could be permanent. My wife and I both had WLS, we have fun trying to convince each other that sagging is success. :rolleyes:

I don't want criticism from people. I hate bringing attention to myself and I'm afraid people will talk. I know they will. I'm not sure how I would handle this situation. People will ask me what I'm doing to lose weight. Do I tell them exercising and eating less (which is no lie) or do I tell them about the sleeve??

As you look through this forum you will find this question is quite common. This operation is nothing to be ashamed of. If you really believe that, to tell or not to tell is no longer a problem. I tell those that I consider worthy of my time, the rest get a sketchy response or no explanation. This is, after all, MY BUSINESS.

Extra skin: I'm not sure what to think about this subject... I've had 2 children so I already have a poochy lower tummy. I don't want to have issues with skin rubbing and flopping out. I also don't have the kind of money to spend on cosmetic surgery. Not sure about this one...

You are young, it is likely your skin is elastic and will shrink. There are no guarantees that it will completely, though. I read your husband as a real man, one that would not be put off by loose skin. Real men love deeply, he sounds like one of those. I think you have nothing to worry about.

I will be praying for you to make the right decision. It looks like you are pretty committed already. If you go ahead you know the folks on this forum will be pulling for you and helping any way we can.

Hello I came a crossed your thread I am 27 and have two kids one of each and my husband is the same way I am waiting to get my surgery date I think you will be fine I am wanting this surgery for the same reasons basically I just wanted to say good luck and keep us posted u are never to young to want to be healthy.

In reality you do not want to wait until your health is on the line. You'll recover better being young and healthy.

Check out Iggychic's thread, she had some horrible and long-lasting complications. I know she wishes she had waited until her child was older so that if she had passed away her family wouldn't have been so defenceless :( I think if you take the necessary precautions (will, insurance etc) then you may be more comfortable with having the surgery.

I'm just turning 26 and will be getting my op next year. I think I'm old enough to take charge of my life, but it has taken years (and will take more) of therapy to help with the emotional issues that could affect my success with wls. I suggest you do so too because youth can make it hard to have objective insight into our own issues. This may also help you with confidence in dealing with the (positive and negative) attention that will come of the surgery...

Good luck either way, and happy travels!