Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My insurance covers 80% of the surgery. I'm scratching my head as to how to come up with the rest. Does the hospital bill you for the rest or does the doctor expect it before the surgery? This has not been discussed during any of my visits to the doctor's office, and an up-front fee was not charged.

What has been your experience?

Check to see what your Maximum out of pocket expenses are for the year. In my case, my insurance also pays 80%, but with my deductible and other expenses, I have already met my maximum, so I won't have to pay any more myself.

Thanks, that's something that I didn't think about. My deductible is $500, my out of pocket is $3000, so now I'm down to $2500. With whatever else is yet to be billed, it might come down to $1500-$2000. Even that is going to be a stretch. What have others done to find the funds?

I was self pay. I saved so I could pay cash. If it is a stretch you will just have to start saving now and have surgery when you can afford it. That is what I had to do.

I was self pay. It takes a lot of sacrifice. Just save everywhere u can. We cut our tv even ... Anywhere u can... It's worth it :)

Me three. I was a self-pay so I cut corners and saved everywhere I could for nearly a year. But it felt good not to have to worry about bills afterward.

I went through insurance. I just threw the rest on my rewards credit card then payed it off right away. Doc needed his part upfront, and I need to pay the hospital the morning of surgery

My insurance covers 80% of the surgery. I'm scratching my head as to how to come up with the rest. Does the hospital bill you for the rest or does the doctor expect it before the surgery? This has not been discussed during any of my visits to the doctor's office, and an up-front fee was not charged.

What has been your experience?

I know exactly what you are going through. I have to pay 20%, but no one seems to be able to tell me how much everything is going to cost. My deductable is 3,000 and my out of pocket max is 8,000. Sure I will be able to pay a couple of thousand, but if it’s up to the 8K then I'm not going to able to afford it right now. I wrote an email to the coordinator asking for a rough estimate but she is just pushing me to come in for an appointment. I don't want to start the process until I am exactly sure of what the costs are going to be. My BF had it done, she is 3 weeks out and she still doesn’t know how much it is going to cost her.

I almost wish they had a package. Haha

My company switched the insurance last year so I am completely new to this deductible and out of pocket max thing. So if I meet my deductible then all I have left is 5K of out of pocket max?? I thought it was all included together (11K).

I just paid the hospital there share this morning, before doing my prep. My surgeon will get his next week. I tried to get this approved 8 years ago with Aetna, and ultimately was denied after 6 months of hoop jumping. This time, when I decided I wanted to try again, my husband and I decided to pay cash. I wish that I could have relied on my health insurance to cover most of it, but I am glad that we are in the position to cover the cost.

I had insurance but it is the PCIP insurance through the govt, the pre existing condition plan . The dedictible was $2000 maximum out of pocket was $4000. I would call them ! I was expecting for them to bill me the 20% post op , and they did NOT , they billed me up front. After my deductible its 20% which came out to $3800 total w/ the dedct. I was only expecting to come up with $2000 which i did , I actually had a fundraiser to come up with the $2000 ( mine was a revision that i needed my band out NOW ) . They called me the DAY BEFORE surgery to tell me how much it would all be and I would nee the additional $1800 since i had $2000 already they let me make payments on the rest . $75 a month for 2 yrs ! UGH . So if your worried i would call them .

Thanks' date=' that's something that I didn't think about. My deductible is 500, my out of pocket is 3000, so now I'm down to 2500. With whatever else is yet to be billed, it might come down to 1500-2000. Even that is going to be a stretch. What have others done to find the funds?[/quote']

My out of pocket expense is 3800....I've spent 574.00 the surgeon sent me to have an endoscopy on Monday it ate the remaking balance I only have to have $375 for surgery on Mon.....check with the patient advocate

I agree check w your advocate because she said the charge is different exspecially if your s

My coordinator said that it's a discounted price when your in network w them