Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goanna's back - and banded!!

Hi all,

Just a quick note (it hurts to sit at the desk! LOL!) to let you know that I'm home. Thanks for your messages and good wishes - especially tarajane (Judy) for you call last night in the hospital. It cheered me up heaps.

I just got home from hospital. I ended up staying two nights - I had low blood pressure and pain issues, and Mr Hensman is such a sweetie he let me stay the extra night. My surgery all went well, although my recovery is taking a little longer than I thought it would. For now, I am just happy it's over, and that I'm now "in the band"!!! I am also grateful to have you all here at LBT / IRL to talk with about it. It's nice to know that you're not the only one walking along this road.

I met up with Rose and Chris who were banded on the same day by Mrs Gilholme / Hensman. I was first, then Chris, then Rose. Chris went home after one night, as he was feeling great. Rose and I both came home today. They'll both come to the next bandsters, and Rose is going to join us at LBT. I think there may have another person banded on Thursday, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, that's it for today, I'll catch up with you all again over the next few days when I'm feeling better. Thanks again for your good wishes and prayers.

Anna.

Woooohoooooooooooo Annaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy for you. I was a little surprised at the pain from banding too, especially now I can compare it to a TT.

It doesnt last for long, the gas pains are what got me. Just remember to sip sip sip!!!!

Big Hugs and hope you are feeling better soon.

Hi Anna,

Welcome back, I too had low bp & ended up staying in hospital for 4 days. It's a horrible feeling when your bp drops and you can feel it coming. I blacked out in hospital from it, the nurse couldnt understand what a black out was (or fainted, passed out, etc. Grrrr then wanted me to get up and walk). Anywho, that's getting off the subject - you. Dont get concerned if the shoulder pain gets worse in the next few days.

take care, talk soon

Lisa

hiya Anna so glad it's all over for you now just take things slowly and let yourself heal, look forward to seeing your posts as we all travel this journey together x

Thanks everyone for your love. You guys rock.

I am feeling plenty better today (1 week out), still recovering though...

Looking forward to seeing Lisa / Jenny soon - and Kellie - I am coming to see you and Sam when I get half way!

hiya anna great to hear from you and to know you are ok, do you think you will be up to going to bandworks? and what about karingal?

That's awesome Anna!! I'm glad all went well for you.

I too was surprised at the pain..But after 2 weeks the pain and gas and sholdour pains were gone.

hugs

mary

Hi Jenny - I'll be going to Bandworks on the 31st, I'll meet you there, as will go straight from work. I could give you a ride home if you need one (PM me). I won't be going to Karingal (SOB!!!), as we will be in Adelaide for a family wedding. A liquid wedding feast for me. LOL!!

Mary9 - I think I underestimated the impact that this surgery would have on me. It seemed to me like everyone bounced back really well, so I was a bit shocked at what it's really like. Maybe I was in denial about what it was going to be like, so I went through with it! hehehe. It's all good now though - I have started to lose weight already (YAY!!!), and I am pleased to say that I am much better - the band itself is no longer uncomfortable, and I only have a bit of discomfort around the port site (bending etc). The staples itch like crazy, but they are coming out in two days, which will be great. This time next week, the surgery will be a distant memory (apart from the liquid diet. hehehe!).

Okay, now for the really cool news. Three items.

ONE: I have the new AP band - don't know if it's the APS (small) or APL (large) band yet. Apparently they are softer and more concentric when filled than the VG bands. They may be less likely to slip.

TWO: For the first time in five years, I WEIGH LESS THAN 130KG!!!! I was 128.5 kg this morning, down from surgery weight of 132.5 kg and highest ever of 138 kg. YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! I realise that it might pop back up and over before the post-op diet is done, but I'm taking it as a victory anyway!!! LOL!!!

THREE: I had a letter to the editor about my lapbanding decision published in November's NOTEBOOK: magazine!!!!!!!! I wrote (for the first time in my life) in response to the article about Anissa Levy, a bandster, which helped me to decide about lapbanding. A copy of the text is attached below. Just wish they gave me a prize... LOL!

----------------------------------------------

Thank you so much to Anissa Levy (August Notebook: ) for sharing her life changing decision to have adjustable gastric banding (lapband) surgery.

I am 34, and since age 16, have dieted my way to being morbidly obese. With each failed attempt, I lost just a little bit more hope, energy or resolve to try again. Lately I had started to feel that I was spent. I have been contemplating weight loss surgery for the past year or more, however didn’t think that it would be a possibility for someone like me who didn’t also have other medical problems such as diabetes. Also, until recently I have not had the necessary acceptance of my condition, nor the energy or resolve to take any further action. I felt too ashamed to talk about my struggles with my husband or family, and barely had the courage to talk (yet again) with my GP about it. He had suggested lapbanding, and given me a referral to a surgeon just the day before I bought my copy of August Notebook:. Anissa’s story hit me like a thunderbolt. In her story, I found many similarities to myself, and was very comforted that other smart, young women like me have had success with this surgery. In the past few weeks, I have finally found relief in finally accepting my condition, and also a new hope, courage and determination to fight for my healthier future. With these revelations, making the decision to go ahead with surgery was easy.

Anna C (via email)

Hey Anna,

Is the new gastric band (AP) made by inamed still or is it a different brand? I haven't heard about it so it would be cool to find out more info on it.

I had a hell of a time in recovery also - i was shocked that so many people are up and at it after a day or two - I was down and feeling like I was dying from the port pulling for a couple of weeks. It gets heaps better :rolleyes:

Under 130 is an awesome scale victory! Congrats!!

WOW Anna Congrats on your weight loss that is awesome!!

I think I was in denial too..If I wasn't I don't think I would have gone throught with the surgery!!

Hey Anna,

Is the new gastric band (AP) made by inamed still or is it a different brand? I haven't heard about it so it would be cool to find out more info on it.

I had a hell of a time in recovery also - i was shocked that so many people are up and at it after a day or two - I was down and feeling like I was dying from the port pulling for a couple of weeks. It gets heaps better :rolleyes:

Under 130 is an awesome scale victory! Congrats!!

I think it is an inamed band - I honestly don't know for sure. I didn't get the usual post-op booklet or card (which the other bandsters done with me got with their VG bands), and even the post-op nurse (Di) didn't know when I went yesterday to have the staples out. Mr Richard Gilholme talked about them at my band info session, and said that they are "the next generation in lapbands". I have heard that the new bands are more concentric, that the locking mechanism is isolated from the stomach, that they are much softer and considered less likely to slip. I'll have to wait until I see Mr Chris Hensman again on Nov 25th. I was given the new band, as I was talking about it with Chris before the surgery, and being a researcher / scientist, he took pity on me and gave me the new band. He said they'll change over to the new ones as their VG stock runs out, and that he believes that the change is more of a production change than anything else. Once I know more, I'll start a thread, and we can have an 'AP' club.

I am feeling heaps better, although a little uncomfortable and tired this arvo at work. I came home early with a bag full of work to do tonight, and will probably work at home tomorrow to save the 1 hour drive each way. The port is not really painful any more, unless I forget about it and cat-stretch or press on it by mistake. The port incision is still a little sore - I was worried that it was infected, but Di says it looks okay. I hope she's right. The recovery from the band makes me dread the TT / body lift / boob job I'll need at the end of my journey...

Thanks also girls for the good wishes on the weight loss to date. I am on the way.

Congratulations! Just take it easy and recover. I think this knocks us around more than what we think. Welcome to the Band :clap2:

The recovery from the band makes me dread the TT / body lift / boob job I'll need at the end of my journey...

Seriously the plastics were a dream comapared to the band! They bath your insides with some serious narcotics though while they are in there doing the plastics so you don't feel anything for ages! I was ready to get up and leave the hospital as soon as I woke up, felt liek they didn't do the surgery at all. I didn't have any type of pain or discomofrt with my boobs but my tummy was sore where the drains were (once they were out the minimal drain pain/stinging was gone and it was all good). The band though... that was hell! I hope I never have to get that replaced :paranoid

Cam - Kellie (Kelliebellie) says that her TT was less painful than the band, and Sam (Ausie Chick) bounced back really well too. Maybe it's a factor of better health, as well as the different nature of the surgery, both contributing to the lower pain perception?

Anyway, it's a looong way off for me. Years. I am only just starting down the weight loss road, plus I want a couple more kids before I even think about any plastics. Maybe when I turn 40 it will be a mid-life crisis birthday gift to myself! hehehe!

Looking forward to meeting you on the 31st at Bandworks.

I know this thread is old(ish), but I just found it lol.

With my Tummy Tuck, I bounced back alot quicker than I did with the band as well. When I was first banded, I had sleep aponea, was 120kgs and a smoker. When I had the tt and reduction, I no longer had the aponea, was 74kgs and had quit smoking. I'm sure being in better health had something to do with it - that and the fact that I knew more of what to expect, pain wise.

I was rebanded a few weeks ago with the new APS band after slippage. Fingers crossed this one will do what they say ;) Do wish I could find more info on it online, but with it being so new, haven't turned up much at all with google.