Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Are The Failures At This Surgery?

I'm just curious if anyone has come across any articles or info regarding people who should NOT have the surgery or fail miserably at it? Like personality traits, etc. Anyone?

I've known more than one who has failed after RNY. Anyone who looks at this as an automatic way to lose weight and not just 1 tool is going to struggle. You need to do more than just have surgery if you hope to succeed.

Something that I had noticed in going to support groups is those that really struggled always had other medical situations. I don't want to come across as uncouth but they were just unable to dedicate a great deal of concentration to weight loss. I have heard many say that it is just a tool and that we have to make it work.

Yes, I agree it's just a tool def...I was just curious if there were certain traits...such as certain ages, married or unmarried, but especially psychologically speaking...like people with poor impulse control I would guess would struggle more. Interesting about the people with other medical conditions. Like diabetics for example? Or any other condition in particular?

What I have seen from my RNY friends and other posts (since I'm trying to figure this out as well!):

1. Medical complications that are outside of a person's control can affect their ability to lose weight.

2. Not dealing with the emotional (non-hunger) reasons why you eat when you are not hungry.

3. Grazing -- a few calories here or there add up enough to keep you from losing weight or help you gain in back.

4. Not logging/tracking food -- people "forget" how many calories they are really taking in.

5. Eating high calorie foods that are easy for sleevers to eat (ice cream, etc).

6. They want to "push the boundaries" to see what happens if they eat certain foods.

So overall, aside from medical complications or problems, it seems consistently making bad food choices is what make us unsuccessful - and that all of can end up being unsuccessful if we are not super-vigilant about what we eat.

Mobility related issues would be the main thing I noticed . Many had diabetes and the sleeve had either cured them or they saw a great decrease in their medicine.

That's scary cuz some of those traits sound familiar...:( I know I def need to look at this much differently than any "diet" I have ever done and try to get a handle on it before I get sleeved. Any suggestions besides a shrink? And thanks for responding everyone.

Monica, There's definitely a requirement to do the head work that goes with this surgery. Addiction runs rampant in my family, me included. I just chose food instead of drugs or alcohol. I was told that I WOULD be an alcoholic by my psych evaluator, so I fight that prediction daily, although I've avoided it so far.

I think therapy and exercise are the two most important things to do for oneself both before and after WLS.

Good luck!! The fact that you're thinking this through tells me that you'll be successful. :)

Thanks for the encouragement! I would think many of us have addiction issues that are overweight...I like your answer and what you recommend. Just wondering if there's anything else we can do? I just refuse to fail after this...it's too important!

food is/was my drug! I know my Dr. won't operate on people with Bipolar/manic - or at least that is what I heard. Not sure 100%.

I don't know any long term sleevers...but I know several bypass people that have put ALOT of their weight back on - so scary!

Good luck!

This is still the best thing I have ever done for myself!!

Monica not sure what type of response you are looking for. Obviously people who are overweight eat too much for a variety of reasons: emotional, boredom, socially, family wise. You have to find out what your triggers are and work to get them corrected. I work on mine EVERY day and some days it is not so easy..............that's when I spend extra time on this site.

This is where the lack of "long-term" anecdotal & peer-reviewed studies evidence comes into play, and why VSG'rs have to do more research using non-surgical WL & other bariatric surgeries as cross-reference for what to realistically expect. That being said, emotional issues are one of the biggest rocks we have to climb, along with addictions, self-delusions, undiagnosed eating disorders & general life issues such as stability of home, career & community/support system. Additionally, medical issues are sometimes helped or even reversed by drastic WL, while others can be exacerbated by it--or slow/cease WL altogether.

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW)

Monica not sure what type of response you are looking for. Obviously people who are overweight eat too much for a variety of reasons: emotional, boredom, socially, family wise. You have to find out what your triggers are and work to get them corrected. I work on mine EVERY day and some days it is not so easy..............that's when I spend extra time on this site.

What am I looking for? a guarantee of course that I won't fail and that this is going to work for me! haha Sadly, I know no one can guarantee this.

This is where the lack of "long-term" anecdotal & peer-reviewed studies evidence comes into play, and why VSG'rs have to do more research using non-surgical WL & other bariatric surgeries as cross-reference for what to realistically expect. That being said, emotional issues are one of the biggest rocks we have to climb, along with addictions, self-delusions, undiagnosed eating disorders & general life issues such as stability of home, career & community/support system. Additionally, medical issues are sometimes helped or even reversed by drastic WL, while others can be exacerbated by it--or slow/cease WL altogether.

I am actually quite aware of my "issues" which I think makes me so scared of going through with it...I have used food for everything under the sun! Boredom, tired, hungry, lonely, blah blah blah.

I think this "tool" is my only chance though..as it will prevent me from doing any of the crazy eating patterns I get into. I am def going to work on my head issues regarding it. Thanks all. :)

What am I looking for? a guarantee of course that I won't fail and that this is going to work for me! haha Sadly' date=' I know no one can guarantee this.[/quote']

Physically, you are guaranteed to have a stomach that is roughly the size of 2 shot glasses, & you will not be able to fit the same amount of food in it. If you truly face your emotional issues (abt why you gained & why it won't come off), & stay away from high-calorie liquids (ice cream, dairy, sodas/kool-aid, etc), among the other no-nos then you will succeed.