Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Singing After Sleeved

Hello everyone I haven't been sleeved yet I will be sleeved on Oct 17th Yahooo but I have a question for any singers out there how long did it take you to go back to singing after you were sleeved??

I don't sing regularly unless u count alone in my car lol. I was able to sing a little about 2 weeks out but it hurt to take deep breaths. I also had a hiatal hernia repair during my sleeve. When I first started trying to sing my frog would come out a few times. (Frog=a weird sound that would come out randomly that sounded like a croak to me lol)

I play the flute at my church every Sunday and the first time I tried to play, I had to stop mid song to catch my breath. That was at a couple days over 2 weeks. The next week I was out sick but the 4th week I could get through every song without much discomfort or shortness of breathe. I'm now 10 weeks out and play like I always have.

It will take time for your body to adjust but use that breathing thing they give you at the hospital often and that will help build up your stamina again.

Hope that helps.

I don't sing regularly unless u count alone in my car lol. I was able to sing a little about 2 weeks out but it hurt to take deep breaths. I also had a hiatal hernia repair during my sleeve. When I first started trying to sing my frog would come out a few times. (Frog=a weird sound that would come out randomly that sounded like a croak to me lol)

I play the flute at my church every Sunday and the first time I tried to play' date=' I had to stop mid song to catch my breath. That was at a couple days over 2 weeks. The next week I was out sick but the 4th week I could get through every song without much discomfort or shortness of breathe. I'm now 10 weeks out and play like I always have.

It will take time for your body to adjust but use that breathing thing they give you at the hospital often and that will help build up your stamina again.

Hope that helps.[/quote']

Thank you so much this really helped me.

Hello I am very active in the music ministry at my church to be exact I am singing every Sunday!! I stayed out for 1 month....boy did I miss it but now I am back and I feel great. Everyone is different but for me it was a month and I will be 5 months post op on tomorrow...

Hello I am very active in the music ministry at my church to be exact I am singing every Sunday!! I stayed out for 1 month....boy did I miss it but now I am back and I feel great. Everyone is different but for me it was a month and I will be 5 months post op on tomorrow...

Thanks for the insight I am also very active in our music ministry I sing every Sunday in the. Praise team and I was scared about going back to soon b/c u know how much we use our diaphragm when we sing. So I guess I will stay out a month.

Girl I'm 9 days out and sing just fine! I think even better.

I play the baritone saxophone in my adult community band, had VSG, had an esophageal hernia repair and was back to rehearsal two weeks to the day after surgery. I was definitely conscience of my breathing the first number or two but by the end of the 90 minute rehearsal, I wasn't giving it a second thought. I am also an instrumental music teacher and I have had no problems playing with my students.

You will probably be given a breathing thing to work on keeping your lungs open at the hospital. Work that baby and you should be fine. I think you are suppose to use it for 6 to 10 days. I would try some gentle warm ups a few days out and see how it feels and increase it each day. Best of luck with your surgery. I'm less than three weeks out and feel great!

Girl I'm 9 days out and sing just fine! I think even better.

Okay this great to hear hopefully I will be as successful

I play the baritone saxophone in my adult community band' date=' had VSG, had an esophageal hernia repair and was back to rehearsal two weeks to the day after surgery. I was definitely conscience of my breathing the first number or two but by the end of the 90 minute rehearsal, I wasn't giving it a second thought. I am also an instrumental music teacher and I have had no problems playing with my students.

You will probably be given a breathing thing to work on keeping your lungs open at the hospital. Work that baby and you should be fine. I think you are suppose to use it for 6 to 10 days. I would try some gentle warm ups a few days out and see how it feels and increase it each day. Best of luck with your surgery. I'm less than three weeks out and feel great![/quote']

Thanks I will make sure to work on my breathing

i was able to "sing" after a couple of days, but it took about 2 weeks out before i could really belt out the harder louder longer notes. like barisaxilady said, work with the 'breathing thing" several times a day. it seemed to help me.

good luck.

i was able to "sing" after a couple of days' date=' but it took about 2 weeks out before i could really belt out the harder louder longer notes. like barisaxilady said, work with the 'breathing thing" several times a day. it seemed to help me.

good luck.[/quote']

Thanks for the insight and all the encouragement I will definitely make sure to work with the breathing thing.

Hi Mslnzee2010 - I am a singer and private voice instructor. I only cancelled a week and a half of lessons (back to work on day 10). I found that the sitting and playing was the tough part. Vocalizing was fine, but the standing and such was what hurt. I didn't get over that for over a month. Now, almost 9 months out, everything's fine. I will say that it's harder to sing (breathing! movement of the diaphragm!) with a full sleeve. I know I can't eat a lot before I sing! There's just a lot of different sensations now and the sense of fullness does get in the way of things, I think. Hope that helps.

Hi Mslnzee2010 - I am a singer and private voice instructor. I only cancelled a week and a half of lessons (back to work on day 10). I found that the sitting and playing was the tough part. Vocalizing was fine' date=' but the standing and such was what hurt. I didn't get over that for over a month. Now, almost 9 months out, everything's fine. I will say that it's harder to sing (breathing! movement of the diaphragm!) with a full sleeve. I know I can't eat a lot before I sing! There's just a lot of different sensations now and the sense of fullness does get in the way of things, I think. Hope that helps.[/quote']

Thanks so much for the information I will definitely be taking it one day at a time. I know everyone is different but I thank everyone for all the information. I will keep everyone posted on my progress surgery is 10/17

Ok, I am a singer too. I lost 50 lbs in just 6 weeks and when I went out to sing again I definately noticed a differnce in my power. It just wasnt there anymore and it was so disheartening. I am sure it was because I was so sick for the 1st 4 weeks that I didnt feel like singing and I think I lost some of my vocal muscle. Didnt even know that was possible but Im telling you it is. So my advice to you is even if you dont feel like it use that muscle. I am now 8 weeks and I am working on it everyday and I sang last weekend and it was a lot better. Just goes back to that old saying, "use it or lose it". Good luck with everything. Its all still very worth it. ;)

Hello everyone surgery on 10/17 was successful I'm feeling good no pain at all. I am now two weeks out and think I'm going to try and go to practice on Thursday (if Hurricane Sandy is gone by then)and see how I feel. I have been singing around the house and it feels fine so hopefully things will be good. I am making sure I am using my gift from God don't want to lose it. Thanks again everyone for your insight on this subject.