Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Count Calories or Not to Count Calories....

That is my Question!!!

I will have my band in a couple of days and then the liquid/mushies stage for the month so I don't really have to worry about calories for a bit. But I'm wondering people's thoughts on calorie counting.

I've been counting calories off and on since I was 8 years old. (Now 31) I'm just plain sick of it. That's part of the reason that I want the band. I've been reading the forum for about a month and I haven't gotten a clear picture on the calorie counting issue. I guess I've just figured that as long as your not filling up on milkshakes/desserts, the band will keep you from going overboard on calories. Isn't that the whole point? Am I deluding myself?

I'd love to hear eveyone's experience with the whole calorie counting game.

I'd especially love to hear from those who aren't counting calories and still finding success.

Hi BandaCat --

I'm one of those people that refuse to "count" calories since being banded (June 2006). Like you, I have counted calories for decades with little success. I am working towards life style changes. I eat until I am comfortably satisified. I also do not deprive myself of pleasures from time to time. About 2 weeks ago I went on vacation. During my vacation I had a couple of cocktails, I ate a whole candy bar, and even had some light ice cream one day. I'm happy to report, I didn't gain 1 ounce on my vacation. I didn't lose either. But I allowed myself to enjoy the whole experience (per my band allowance).

You have to remember that the band is a tool. You can't eat the candies, ice cream, etc. everyday. You still have to work very hard at making healthy choices and following the banded rules. The more healthy choices you make and eventually exercise you do, the weight will fall into place.

Right after surgery, your goal is to heal. Once you heal the second goal is to get some good restriction (find your sweet spot). The rest, at least for me, has fallen into place.

Best wishes,

Melissa Lea

I can certainly understand where you are coming from...it's a personal decision. If you've been counting calories since age 8, then I'd be tossing that idea out the window!

I, on the other hand, count my calories. It wasn't until after my first fill that I began counting calories. Now, I pretty much do it daily. After a year, I see myself slacking. Hopefully, I will trust myself enough to give it up. It does get old.

Good luck. Shawn

I guess I'll learn as I go on this journey. If I have to count calories I will because the ultimate goal is shedding the weight. But I find that when I do food diaries, Fitday, and calorie counting, my every waking minute is consumed with food. There is also some serious emotional baggage attached to food diaries for me. They bring back all the feelings of inadequacy that I had as an 8 year old put on a diet and not understanding why. (Turns out in pictures I've seen, I wasn't all that overweight, but my mom thought she was preventing it. Kinda backfired.)

Anyways, I'm hoping that the band will release me from all that.

Do what works for you. I think the most they stress is getting in the Protein, at least 60 grams. However you can count that. I do a little of both - eating a balanced meal and tallying up my caloric intake. I don't do a food diary everyday. I sometimes take a typical day and enter it in to see how I did. It helps me make choices and know what I'm eating.

I do try to get the Protein in and try to judge how much I've eaten of it. I also try to eat my hard Proteins first and then if still hungry eat the other items on my plate. It works for me and I don't feel consumed with counting calories and deciding what to eat.

Good luck to you.

If I am losing well, I don't tend to count calories. But if I stall, I'll count the calories for a while and analyze what I am eating to find surprise sources of calories.

I felt the same way in the calorie counting thing. I was wondering what these people were doing counting their calorie intake when they went through surgery to hopefully be done with all that stuff that never worked anyway. I don't count my calories but certainly do watch what I eat. I know I do not even eat a 1/4 of what I used to eat and that in it's self has got to show on the scale. I believe it is alot slower process if you do not go on the diets some of these people are on, but I have consistantly read on this forum that this is not a race. I do think some like the competitive part of it though.

I have decided to do what works best and that is the excersizing and watching the food intake, I hate that counting calories and logging everything down that goes in your mouth.

My band is fairly new and it was suggested that I track my intake at fitday.com as some were suggesting I wasn't getting enough calories. I was getting 500 to 600 and my weight loss stalled. Fit day is great because you can also track your Protein and carb intake, track you activities and compare them with what you've eaten.

Lets face it, if I had good eating habits, I woundn't have needed the band in the first place. I figure, I never learned to eat healthy in my 34 years and if counting calories and reading labels will teach me, then Im up for it. But I don't think its about calories alone, that's just part of the equation. What your're eating is as important as how much you're eating.