Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'd like to hear from you Lap Band Pros!

Hi Everyone,

I’m rather new to the board, and I’ve been posting on the ‘Newbie’ Forum, to get a feel for what others are thinking in the planning of WLS. I see that we pretty much all share the same concerns for the most part. I wanted to get myself on the General Forum now, as I’ve got questions for the ‘Lap Band Veterans’ to answer for me – as only you can! **I have to say that I just went to the Before/After pictures Forum, and have tears streaming down my face with happiness for all of you. I can only aspire to have my pics posted some day soon! You’re all heros to me, and I hold each of you in such high regard – as I’m learning that this whole journey takes Nerve, Perserverance, GUTS, Stamina (shall I go on!) As I’ve said, please forgive me in advance if I post any questions that may seem ‘stupid’…but if I knew the answers, I wouldn’t ask. I’m using the search tool on this site; it’s fantastic.

A bit about me: I’m 36, overweight, one co-morbidity – High Blood Pressure. I just had my first live forum with the doctor that I’m considering here in NJ; Dr. Abkin from Morristown. I went to the hotel for the forum that focused a bit more on Bypass than Lap Band. I had dozens of questions, but couldn’t get them all answered in two hours! I am scheduled tomorrow for a meeting with my General Doctor, who will then refer me onto a Nutrionist and Pscyh Doctor. Right now I have Aenta who requires 6 months before surgery. Next month my employer has Insurance enrollment, and I’ll be changing to Blue Cross or United; as per the “Insurance Pros” at my Surgeons office – since they approve nearly automatically. (WOW, I’m long winded – sorry!) I will have all my ‘pre’ stuff done before 1/1/07 – then I can work on scheduling my consult with the doctors; and onto Band Day! I know it seems rather premature for me to be doing all of this; but I think doing this slowly can help me prepare better mentally.

The one question that I have for you Veterans is this: Other than complications, what can I expect after surgery, that I probably haven’t read about yet? I think now I put so much emphasis on ‘getting together for dinner’; I fear that I will cry at some point when I realize that I can’t just go out and do that with my boyfriend, mom, etc. Sorry for being long winded…but I am so excited to have this forum to help me!!! :faint:

HI,

I am just about 6 months out so I don't know that I qualify as a "pro" yet, but I will answer as best I can.

First, there are no stupid questions--most of what you are thinking/feeling is the same thing that most of us have gone thru. Answers vary and are individual to each of us, but there are lots of commonalities that can help you realistically anticipate what is in store for you.

I am 59 years old and was astonished how easy the surgery was and how quickly I recovered. I didn't even take any more pain meds after day 2 (which I was told to take for the long day's flights home). If I rolled over onto my port for about a week, I would roll right back, but I learned pretty quickly not to do that. I started painting and moving into a new house 3 days after surgery. I honestly think moderate activity is better than sitting around paying attention to your discomfort and it helps to dissapate the gas from the surgery.

I WAS hungry on the liquid diet and often until my first fill (in June), but I lost 20# in that period. After the fill, I experienced PBing because of my lifelong tendency to gobble my food in a few minutes, and had to really learn the meaning of "small bites" and "chew". Since my fill I have lost another 30+pounds. I am exercising for an hour 3X week.

As far as getting together for dinner, I still do that. I am careful to order things I know I can eat, eat slowly and I am not shy about asking for a leftover container. My SO loves to take me to dinner--we order one meal, a cup of Soup for me and an extra plate. I get my few bites of his meat, some of his veggies (which he doesn't miss), and then he orders dessert, of which I get my 2-3 bites. We both get a full meal and he only pays for one! Since I don't eat nearly as much as before, I can afford to indulge in better food (lobster tail), so I actually enjoy food more. I do try to stay away from carbs--Pasta, bread, etc., but I can still eat tiny amounts of it. The only think I "miss" is a cold beer on a really hot day, but a frosty margarita is a great substitute!

I made the decision to invest in the surgery at this point in my life because I realized that the obesity-related illnesses were going to severely interfere with the quality as well as the quantity of my life. I don't particularly care about living a long time, but I want the time I have to be comfortable and productive. I have been battling my weight all my adult life and really heavy for the last 15 years. My only regret about getting surgery is that it wasn't available to me in that time. Imagine how much more "quality time" you will have in YOUR life when you aren't fighting this battle like you have been. I don't expect to be "young" again, but I am certainly enjoying the positive compliments I am getting. Most of all, I feel SO much better--no arthritis, can run 300 yards and not wonder if it is going to be my last, etc. As others have said, "Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels".

Good luck on your journey.

banded 4/5/06

Dr. Ortiz, TJ, Mexico

180+/133/110

Hi, I'm from New Jersey also. I was banded by Dr. Nusbaum in Livingston. He was great if you're still checking out surgeons.

I'm fairly new but I'm able to go out and eat with friends and family all the time. You just have to be wise about your food choices. It's not really that bad. Let's put it this way, I'm losing weight and although I have some dietary changes, I don't feel like I'm on a diet.

Best of luck to you.

Hi and welcome to LBT! I think it is great that you are doing your research and getting as many questions answered and concerns alleviated as possible.

No need to cry about going out to eat, because you absolutely can still go out to eat. My recommendation is that when you do, you are careful to not try anything new. Order something that you know you have had before (either at home or the restaurant) and that you know your band tolerates well. Always remember the bandster rules to take tiny bites, chew, chew, chew to mush and wait in between bites. If you do this, you should be able to continue to enjoy dining out with your boyfriend, mom and others. What will be wonderful is that the focus will no longer be the food, but the people you are with and the time you are enjoying having together.

Rest assured, you will do FINE going out to eat. I do it ALL the time. You just have to make good choices.

That is the best advice I can give post banding. It's about your choices.

As for all your questions.....do what I did....write them ALL down and ask them ALL to your surgeon in that pre consultation! I had TWO PAGES. If your dr will sit there and answer them all then you know he cares enough to take the time!

Good luck. You are going to do great.....:)

Welcome, I'm no pro but when I was talking to my neighbor about this lapband, she was telling me how this one girl she knew was going to have it reversed, well I of course ask WHY? She said she was tired of not being able to go out to eat and go to events that consisted of eating food. My first reply was I've been there done that and that is why I'm getting the band, well at least one of the reasons, I'm sick of the eating thing and the embarrassment that comes with it. Not eating out is a small price to pay, considering all the fat I hope to be losing in the next year. So my thought is who cares if I can't eat out, I CAN tie my shoes and almost even cross my legs! That is worth more than any price of a meal.

Good luck and remember nothing tastes better than being healthy.

Hi Carol,

It's not really the EATING part of 'going out to eat' that I'm worried about. I know that I'd never reverse it 'eat more' and just gain weight I've been running from for 10 years. It's the 'social' part. I am worried of feeling like an outcast. (Though I do worry I won't be able to eat sushi!)

I eat out regularly and have since early on. You adjust yourself. I eat off the appetizer menu alot. I eat Soups. Crabcakes are fun to compare from one restaurant to another. chicken Marsala is also fun to compare. There is no real reason you can't eat out. It's the choices you make that could be your downfall. Often, I ask for a box and have another meal or two to take home. No problem. It's the choices that will make you or break you. Desserts are tempting, especially if everyone else is partaking. Cocktails is another temptation. I travel for work and order room service and eat out pretty much constantly and I've been able to maintain a 75lb loss. I often mess up, but I take myself home and boil eggs and live on Protein a few days to repair the damage and turn up the volume on exercise.

Leatha

Banded 3.5 yrs

You won't feel like an outcast. I can eat sushi!!! At certain points your restriction will feel different. You'll have to adjust your eating to the band. It is a learning process.

The fact that you are here, early on, asking questions and gathering info. tells me that you will be a prepared bandster. I can't tell you how many folks, get banded, then ask questions!

Good luck. Shawn

Sherilynn,

I eat out for dinner about 3 times a week, and I eat with my work colleagues (none of whom know I'm banded) at lunch usually 5 days a week. if you eat slowly and order knowns, you'll be fine eating under any circumstances.

I PBd at a restaurant on Saturday, which was the first time I'd thrown up in public. It came on quickly (it was TOM for me and I wasn't paying attention) and even under those circumstances I was able to excuse myself to the ladies' room, where I had to wait in line for a stall and was able to keep it under control until one was available. I know this sounds scary, but it's really not. It was a worst case scenario and it was still not a big deal.

You've all been so great, thank you for the support; that I'm not getting at home!!!!

psssst....i eat sushi too! Just had some the other night. yum!

I think that you have to get your head around this. People won't think you are weird or an outcast if YOU don't think that about yourself!! YOU have to accept what you have...that you will eat differently....and that you are NORMAL!

:grouphug:

We are here to support you. ALWAYS.

Once you're past the initial post op period where you have to gradually upgrade your diet from liquids to puree to soft, etc........generally you'll eat normal foods. No one will even be able to tell you've had surgery. You eat smaller portions, for the most part.........NORMAL sized portions. Eating out isn't a problem. It's all in the choices YOU make. You learn quickly what foods you can tolerate and what foods you can't (if any). Make healthy choices. Share a meal, if you can. Get a to-go box and box up your meal. It's not that big of a deal. Buffets are probably a thing of the past, but who the he// cares? There's so much other GREAT food out there. It's quality versus quanity in our case.

Advice: be as informed as you can about the band, the procedure and the after-life. When you're comfortable and KNOW what's happening to your body, you are less prone to those periods of remorse or fear. A little depression is normal with all the changes (good changes, but changes just the same). Knowledge is power baby!