Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ABC ~ October Chat

spunky, I've only lost 23lbs since my surgery. You're doing fine! I hope fill #2 does the trick for you. :)

Pebbles, glad you're doing better and that you get to go on your vacation!

faybie, sorry you're stuck. Thanks for the warning though. I'm going to stick a Protein Bar or something in my purse now I think. I find when I get really hungry it actually hurts now. Not fun.

I got my fill today! I'm so happy! Only 2 cc in an 11 cc band (that's all my surgeon uses for some reason) but hopefully it will be just the nudge I need to start losing again. I have to be on liquids for the next 2 days, so I should lose something, right? :) Didn't hurt, just felt weird while he was poking around trying to hit the right spot. Now that the first one is behind me, hopefully I'll be less nervous for the rest. I want to see that scale moving again!

Guys, I need some help. I had my first fill last Friday and I don't feel like I even went into the Dr. Shouldn't I be feeling restriction? I just called them back to see if I could schedule another fill and they said I have to wait 8 weeks. What is that about? I am so frustrated! I want this thing to work so bad, but I can eat just as much as I did preband. I don't know what to do!

8 weeks! That's insane. I only have to wait 2 weeks between fills.

But, I have heard that sometimes it can take a few days before you really start to feel the effects of a fill. I hope that's the case for you too and you start feeling restriction soon.

Bug-

I hope you're right that it takes a couple of days to feel the effects.....anoyone else experience a delayed reaction?

Kate that sucks! Is there any way you could make an appointment and just talk to the doctor about it? Sometimes the front desk staff are instructed to repeat the rules. But maybe your doctor could be more understanding if you were there to discuss it.

Could you go to a different doctor for fills? 8 weeks seems really excessive. My fill doctor said if you aren't feeling anythjing after TWO weeks then you should come back. In 8 weeks time, with no real restriction, you could potentially gain weight. Why would a surgeon want to set you up for that?

Aww Faybie ....Do you think its how fast you ate or do you feel like it could be what you ate.

It was both. It was what I ate, how fast I ate and how little I chewed. Honestly, I didn't even realize what had happened until 4 hours later. It was half of a cheese burger with only one piece of the sourdough bread. So the whole pieces of beef are probably what is stuck. I can still feel it go up and down my throat as I swallow today. =(

I guess this is a good lesson to learn "before" I get a fill because it would be much worse then.

I called and spoke to the nurse and she said there is nothing I can do but drink as many warm liquids as I can, take Vitamins and be sure to get Protein drinks in. NO solids until it clears. I am scheduled for a barium tomorrow just to make sure there is no damage to the esophogus.

I just hope posting about my mistake keeps you guys aware and from making the same one.

I'm going for my 2nd fill tomorrow. I really hope this one does some good. I'm stalled and its getting me down. It seems just like every other diet I've ever been on. Things go well at first, I drop some pounds and I'm all motivated. And then it just stops. No more pounds dropping, I try to keep going with exercise, but the longer it takes for the scale to move in the right direction the more depressed I get. Then before you know I'm sitting on the couch eating ice cream or potato chips instead of going to the gym. Which is self-defeating I know, but still. When the scale won't move even though I'm still exercising and eating way less than I used to.......

I'm still trying to think positive, but it is getting harder. I'm going to go buy a bicycle today. I keep reminding myself that muscle weighs more so I'm just building muscle not adding fat.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I feel a little better now, thanks for letting me whine.

I'm going for my 2nd fill tomorrow. I really hope this one does some good. I'm stalled and its getting me down. It seems just like every other diet I've ever been on. Things go well at first, I drop some pounds and I'm all motivated. And then it just stops. No more pounds dropping, I try to keep going with exercise, but the longer it takes for the scale to move in the right direction the more depressed I get. Then before you know I'm sitting on the couch eating ice cream or potato chips instead of going to the gym. Which is self-defeating I know, but still. When the scale won't move even though I'm still exercising and eating way less than I used to.......

Kutia,

Hun, I know EXACTLY how you feel and I am sure most of us here do too, however the greatest thing about the band.... Is you won't backslide like we all used to. You can eat your ice cream and your chips, but its not a gallon or a whole bag! You will eventually lose weight whether you want to or not!

I think 40 pounds down is incredible, especially knowing that it is gone FOREVER, unlike before! Even though you can't see it yourself, for someone on the outside looking in, you have down fabulous so far.

Everyone has their bad days and you are entitled to them or you wouldn't be human nor would you have chosen the band!!! So.......have your two scoops of ice cream and not the gallon, one enchilada and not 4, one taco and not 4, small plate of spaghetti and not 2 huge ones! LOL. you get the point.....

In the end........ that 40 pounds you have lost is gone for good! That is how this time it is different! You go girl!

Hi I was banded on August 7 and I haven't lost weight like you all. I'm down 25 pounds since preop.Are you all drinking protien shakes all the time? I'm older with bad arthritis so exercise is minnamal. Now I feel like the failure of the group. <pout> I have had 1 fill on Sept 11. I'm just now starting to feel it. Is this common for such a delayed reaction? Well fill #2 is this Wednesday and now I'm nervous about getting sick.. ..all isn't bad I'm wearing smaller clothes.....I'm shopping in my closet..<wink> to bad I got rid of my size 8 clothes a couple of years ago...lol...if I beome a size 8 again I want all new.......hell I will deserve it....

Banded by Dr Fielding NYU Aug 7 2006

I will never figure out the tickler

Hey Spunky! First I want to stop and say Yay! on the 25lbs. Celebrate every single one that goes. I'm a slow loser too and and getting my first fill on Oct 19. Maybe things will pick up. Good question about how long it took you to feel your first feel and one you should take up with doc's office. Let them know your concerns about getting the second fill and ask if it is needed at this time. From what I hear, the only time you need fills is if there is no restriction and you can eat more and more.

Smaller clothes qualify as an NSV -- Non scale Victory.

These are what keep us from going crazy watching the scale. Another thing to celebrate!! :cheer2:

Two more things young lady -- When did 58 get old? Haven't you heard that old is anyone 15 years older than you are?

About that ticker -- you can do it. There are very clear instructions on the ticker in the forum on FAQs and Resources (?) [can't remember the exact name, but FAQ is what to look for] . Follow them step by step and just remember you have to paste in a new one every time the weight changes.

Good luck!

Jo Ann

I have stalled too over the last 4 weeks, having only lost 5 pounds since my first fill on 9/11. I am scheduled for my 2nd fill on 10/16. I have lost 27 pounds since pre-op and it feels very much like a victory because I know I would not have lost it and kept it off without the lapband. It ain't over till the fat lady sings - and that won't be me!!! I am 2 sizes down and just that is reason to feel good about what I have done so far. So everyone hang in there. We knew this was going to be a long haul to take it off and we have just begun.

On another note, 2 days after my fill, I am scheduled for me knee surgery. I can't exercise now because my knee swells and is really sore every time I do even 15 minutes on a treadmill. I was really into the gym thing and just hope I don't lose my momentum with this.

Ouch! Robin,

Getting that knee handled is smart to do and you should remember that when it starts to hurt. Is it laparascopic surgery? I had my meniscus removed a couple of years ago and I remember thinking that orthopedic surgery has come a long, long way (and the drugs are better!). Ask your doctor if they are going to recommend physical therapy and if not -- ask him to do so. First, you'll get your knee back in service sooner and the therapy will have you putting in some gym time, so you won't get totally behind.

I wish the best for you,

Jo Ann

What are you guys eating these days? Anyone care to share a typical day's meals? Now that I've got my fill I'm really going to try and focus on making good choices, which I wasn't doing so well before. :)

Thanks all for you encouragment. Iknow I can do this!I just found out hubby has prostrate cancer. If I wasn't banded I would be eating everything in site.....