Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pills and the Band

I wasn't sure which Forum to use for this.....

I had a HORRIBLE experience yesterday. I went to lunch with my hubby. (No that wasn't the horrible experience). I ordered a taco salad. The first two bites were heavenly. I put a small amount of cheese and ground beef on the fork, chewed until it was almost liquid and swallowed. No problem. I talked for a few minutes and took a 3rd bite and suddenly felt a DREADED PB coming on. Went to the LGR and got rid of it. Came back to the table feeling fine. Took another bite, and the same thing happened. Went BACK to the LGR, took care of "things" and this time, decided to pack up the salad and have it for dinner. After a few minutes, I took a very small sip of tea and got the SLIMEYS all over again. ANOTHER trip to the LGR. By this time, everyone is staring at me wondering why I have to "GO" so much. Anyway, I had the SLIMEYS until I went to bed. For most, this would not be a problem other than being uncormfortable. However, being diabetic, my sugar was dropping and I couldn't hold ANYTHING down. Not even warm tea with sugar. Well, I couldn't take my night time meds, but did manage to hold a Peanut-butter cup (oh the horrors, tee-hee) in my mouth abnd let it melt. I must have retained enough sugar in my system to get me through the night. Well this morning, everything was fine. I have been very careful with what I've eaten today and have not had any problems.

I thought maybe the Naproxen I had been taking for the past 2 weeks (knee pain) had somehow irritated my band opening and that was the source of the problem. I called Dr. Spivak's office to ask them about it. Patricia said the Naproxen was okay as long as I waited 15 minutes between each pill. WHAT? I take a handful of (small) pills twice a day and have ever since the surgery and have never heard of this before. She apologized and said, "Oh Honey, someone should have told you. Never take more than one pill at a time and wait at least 15 minutes before taking another one." I must have had all those pills I took at Breakfast melt into a big glob at the Band opening and it clogged the works until it finally dissolved enough to go through. Makes sense, just never thought about it before.

I told my DH and his comment was, "You're not gonna get much sleep, are you?" My family is always teasing me aboiut the quantity of pills I have to take.

Anyway, Patricia called me back after a few minutes and told me that the other nurses in the office suggested not only waiting the 15 minutes between pills, but to take Naproxen (or other meds known to irritate the stomach) with Maalox or yogurt.

Wanted to pass this info on to keep others from going through what I went through yesterday.

Anyway, have a great and blessed weekend. Love to all.

Thanks for sharing that info! Does this only apply to pills that you swallow whole or does it also apply to pills that you crunch down?

I always take my pills with bites of food. Wait between each one and take another. Also, just so you know (and I know you've heard it) but once you have the dreaded PB, returning back to try to eat again is not a good idea. The irritation to the esophagus will cause your esophagus to swell and the rule of thumb is, once you've PB's you're on liquids for the next 24 hours (at least) in order to let the esophagus heal without creating a vicious cycle (pb, eat, pb again = esophagitis). YIKES.

I hope you're feeling better now.

I always take my pills with bites of food. Wait between each one and take another. Also, just so you know (and I know you've heard it) but once you have the dreaded PB, returning back to try to eat again is not a good idea. The irritation to the esophagus will cause your esophagus to swell and the rule of thumb is, once you've PB's you're on liquids for the next 24 hours (at least) in order to let the esophagus heal without creating a vicious cycle (pb, eat, pb again = esophagitis). YIKES.

I hope you're feeling better now.

Yeah, leatha is right. I noticed that once I PB, my meal is over. I tried to do the same thing and continue to eat at a restaurant and I ended up in the bathroom three times too. Now if I PB, I just ask them to pack it up. It's not worth the frusteration.

You should also talk to your pharmacist and see if you can crush the pills into powder before taking them??? Just an idea. Or maybe they are available in liquid form? Wouldn't hurt to check.

I've never heard about waiting 15 minutes between each pill. I take them one at a time, but only wait about a minute - two at the most - between pills. I've never had a problem.

You said the first couple bites from your lunch went down fine but then the bite with beef and cheese gave you the 'golfball.' It doesn't sound to me like the problem was from your pills - sounds more like the beef got stuck and had to come back up. I think maybe your PB irritatated and caused some swelling that didn't allow you to eat anything else.

Obviously you should follow your doctor's orders, but I'm wondering how many people here have heard about the 15 minute between pills rule that your doctor gave you. Mine said to take pills with a little food to make them go down easier, but nothing about time between pills.

I also take a hand full of meds, but not at one time (did before surgery), alot I have to break into. I've never been told to wait 15 minutes.... it would take me a half a day just for the daytime pills and an hour for my night time meds.

:cry I guess I've been lucky because so far I've not had a PB. I can eat most anything, including white bread. The only problem I'm having is pain in my throat, neck area when I'm laying down. Does anyone else have this problem? I hope it's referred pain from the surgery. I did have a CT Scan yesterday just to make sure it's nothing else.

I have a 14cc band and had my first fill on 9/13, 4.5cc...just a few weeks out and I feel so hungry and I feel no restriction at all. Going back for another fill on Tues. Lost 7 pounds, but that was from the week of liquids after the fill.

Please if anyone has the problem witht he throat, neck pain, let me know.

Thanks,

Ok. I give. I could figure out the LGR (little girl's room), I think I know what the SLIMIE'S are, but, since I'm new to this, what does PB stand for? I figured out what it is. Also, can someone tell me what NVS is?

New at this - but being banded soon.

Lynn

You could have knocked me over with a feather when the nurse told me to wait 15 between each pill. I have been banded for 7 months, take literally a handful of pills in the morning and afternoon and never had a problem until last week. I do swallow a couple of times with Water between each pill, but have never waited so long between each pill. I'd be taking pills all day.

Ever since this episode, I can only eat a few bites before filling full. I was on the verge of calling to get another fill, but it's definitely not needed at this point. I am still very cautious with what I eat now. I'm guessing my esophagus is still healing.....

Thanks to all for the responses

Since being banded I crush most of my meds. I bought a gadget at the drug store that helps me do it.

I am amazed at what I learn everytime that I log onto this site. I am so grateful for all the sharing that goes on here. :)

I did not know what PB was but now know that I have experienced it many, many times over and had I known to stop eating after it happened, I would have not been so frustrated with my band situation. This exact frustration has been my biggest complaint and yet I have had no guidance as to how to handle it. THANK YOU GUYS! As far as the taking of the pills, I have never been given guidance on that. I have not heard of the 15 minute rule and I take 4 pills everyday. I do have a time with swallowing them and inevitably one always gets stuck in my esophagus and comes back up later in the day. I switched ot gumy Vitamins so that I could get a multi down faily as the adult Vitamins simply were too large to get down well.

Hrm I'm kind of curious about taking pills with the LB, I haven't had a fill yet and was wondering if taking a single Wellbutrin XL would block me.