Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Bit Of A Dilemma

While in pre-op waiting to have surgery with Dr. kim on one of the surgical nurses told me There were only 2 doctors she would consider using and dr. Kim would be her first choice. I used him because of his experience in revision surgery. And I drive 3.5 hours one way for all of these classes, check ups, etc...

I just wanna echo what some of the other members have said - My surgeon may not have the best bedside talk, in fact he's a very quiet guy and doesn't talk much aside from his questions, but he is a fantastic surgeon and has a great staff. Surgeons are not known for their bright personalities, and if he is still willing to answer you questions completely and you just don't really like his personality, I would try and overlook that. I made a similar comment to my mother before surgery (She has 30+ years experience as a RN working with surgeons) and she said that she has seen some stellar surgeons who really are not that great at talking to patients.

Anyway, I would definitely go with the surgeon with the best record and staff. Plus, the staff are who are going to be taking care of you post-op, so your interactions with them will be far more than any interaction with your surgeon. Just my 2 cents.

I travelled 3.5 hours to work with Dr. Kim. He made me crazy with all the pre requisites but I went into surgery with no calms. Because of my insurance I had to use Trophy Club buy the staff there were great to me and my husband. He spent the night in the hospital and they were as concerned about his comfort as mine. THe most uncomfortable items are going to happen at any hospital or with any doctor. The nothing by mouth until after the leak test was hideous. I had brought a mouth pray to keep my mouth feeling moist but they would not let me use it. Just grit your teeth and put up with it until it is 'legal' and ou will not be regretful. Just my two cents worth!

Dr Kim may not be outgoing and flamboyant. But that's not a prerequisite for being an excellent surgeon. I chose him because he is one of the best at what he does. His staff is quite friendly and helpful. I'm glad I chose him (thank goodness, cause its probably too late to change my mind if I want to get sleeved anytime soon) lol.

Nicholson has unofficially been written off. I should submitted to the insurance for approval with Dr Kim today. Wish me luck.

Thanks for all of the responses. My gut (pun intended) said Kim. You guys reaffirmed my choice.

Good for you! I was a nervous wreck while waiting on insurance approval. I often emailed Summar several times a week (bless her heart) and she was always so patient, encouraging and thorough with me. I hope you will be as confident in your decision as I am. Good luck!

Good for you! I was a nervous wreck while waiting on insurance approval. I often emailed Summar several times a week (bless her heart) and she was always so patient' date=' encouraging and thorough with me. I hope you will be as confident in your decision as I am. Good luck![/quote']

Yep, she is GREAT!! I just sent her a thank you note today... She went above and beyond.

Same here. Summar is really on top of things.