Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking Too Much Again.......

Still working pros and cons out in my mind. And I still have questions that seem logical to me. Would veterans mind chiming in here....Thanks in advance for your patience ( I know I'm a pain in the butt)! :)

Question 1

I am currently eating around 1200 low carb calories a day and cannot lose weight. I am very well versed on low carb -- I lost 160lbs on low carb 12 years ago. I've gained back 60 but have maintained 100lb loss for 12 years. So, lets say I have the sleeve, which will reduce my calories to about 500-600 a day (right?). So, I begin losing weight because my calories are cut drastically. Won't my metabolism eventually slow down (hence the "honeymoon is over" period) to adjust to this calorie deficit? And if/when it does slow down it will co-inside with my stomach healing which will allow a larger amount of food to be eaten. Will I then gain weight if I begin to eat 1000 calories a day? Should I expect in order to maintain my weight loss I will have to continue survive for the rest of my life on 500-600 calories a day?

Great question,

I have been thinking about the same thing.

I am only 4 1/2 weeks post op, but this is what my surgeon said when I asked him the similar questions. The first few weeks I was getting in 300-500 calories a day, full liquids, then pureed/soft foods. He said this in fact puts your body in 'starvation mode' holding onto calories to survive. But, I lost a good amt of weight, so ok. Then he said once I start getting more calories in, like now 600-800 per day, my body will start to realize it's not 'starving' and you'll be able to lose the excess weight, since it will start to burn the calories. Eventually he said I'll be up to 1000 calories a day and will still be losing weight, no problem.

I am only 4 1/2 weeks post op' date=' but this is what my surgeon said when I asked him the similar questions. The first few weeks I was getting in 300-500 calories a day, full liquids, then pureed/soft foods. He said this in fact puts your body in 'starvation mode' holding onto calories to survive. But, I lost a good amt of weight, so ok. Then he said once I start getting more calories in, like now 600-800 per day, my body will start to realize it's not 'starving' and you'll be able to lose the excess weight, since it will start to burn the calories. Eventually he said I'll be up to 1000 calories a day and will still be losing weight, no problem.[/quote']

I was sleeved on July 16th & there is no way I can get in 1000 calories. I do between 300-650, usually stay under 500. Not really intentionally, I just cant do that much. So its bad to be at that intake?

I doubt as early out as I am or you are that we'd even be expected to get 1000 calories in. I think it will take months to get to 1000 calories a day. I am so far at the lower end of the 600-800 calories a day, close to 600. I am sure each of us is different as far as how many calories we take in a day at any given stage of our journey post op.

I am only 4 1/2 weeks post op, but this is what my surgeon said when I asked him the similar questions. The first few weeks I was getting in 300-500 calories a day, full liquids, then pureed/soft foods. He said this in fact puts your body in 'starvation mode' holding onto calories to survive. But, I lost a good amt of weight, so ok. Then he said once I start getting more calories in, like now 600-800 per day, my body will start to realize it's not 'starving' and you'll be able to lose the excess weight, since it will start to burn the calories. Eventually he said I'll be up to 1000 calories a day and will still be losing weight, no problem.

Hi Gold-- This is exactly the kind of information I've been looking for...I have a need to know the facts of the how/why and many docs just assume they can tell you only the end result... but it has to make sense to me.... Thanks so much!!

Hi Dana,

No problem! I wish I had known this site was here before I had my surgery, because I see so many of the same questions I had prior and never thought to ask. But, I am glad that I found it 10 days post op, so I can continue to stay informed. I get so much information from this site, it's great. Keep asking, and one of the many will answer for sure.

Karen

This is making me LOL. I'm in the SAME boat as you. I even went as far as canceling my surgery on 9/11 cause I was so freaked out. To top it off, my dad is a doctor and my sister is a PA, so knowing too much is not good either. Ignorance is definitely bliss. I have 90 pounds to lose and this is the only thing that will help me. I need to stop thinking negative and just do it! I freak myself out on a daily basis, change my mind like my underwear, and I'm driving everyone around me crazy.....including myself! Ughhhh!

This is making me LOL. I'm in the SAME boat as you. I even went as far as canceling my surgery on 9/11 cause I was so freaked out. To top it off' date=' my dad is a doctor and my sister is a PA, so knowing too much is not good either. Ignorance is definitely bliss. I have 90 pounds to lose and this is the only thing that will help me. I need to stop thinking negative and just do it! I freak myself out on a daily basis, change my mind like my underwear, and I'm driving everyone around me crazy.....including myself! Ughhhh![/quote']

Your not alone! What dies your father and sister think?

My father is a heart surgeon. He originally told me to shut my mouth and exercise. Then after 12 years if realizing its easier said than done, he said go for it. He said since I was healthy, I would tolerate the surgery fine. He also said it was my decision that only I could make. My sister is in dermatology. She is all for it. In fact, her boss- a doctor, just had it done last year and swears by it. I even spoke to her boss. She told me it was the best thing she's ever done. I'm just a big baby. I'm scared to do it. What if, I'm one of the ones with complications?! What if?! I have 3 young children. If something happens to me, and my kids lose their mother, I did it to myself. That is my biggest fear!! If I had a crystal ball, and or I was guaranteed a successful uneventful surgery, I would do it in a second.

i'm still pre-op...i'm struggling w/ staying in the 1500-1600 range that my nut wants me it...i'm usually somewhere on 1800 on my moderate days and when i fell of the wagon over labor day...well....yeah off the freaking charts. I'm back on track but seeing these posts, i can't help but be incredulous about living off of 1000 calories, let lone 600...it makes my brain boggle.

Dana, I can't really answer your questions, but I will say 2 things. One....as you lose weight, your metabolism will not slow down if you increase your fitness. Your metabolism will actually increase with exercise, especially if you increase your lean muscle mass. Two....the results from all the other sleeve patients speak for themselves.

We are all different, we are all unique with our own comorbidities and physical ailments. But we all have one thing in common...we all have lost and gained weight on restricted calorie diets. And at this point, it is much more difficult for all of us to lose weight before surgery than the average person. Otherwise we wouldn't be here.

I hope you find the answer to your specific question. I would be asking a NUT. I've heard people say things about how the surgery is like hitting a reset button on our metabolism. That kind of answer doesn't really explain anything to me so I tend to dismiss it. But judging by the results of myself and everyone else, it certainly does seem to work that way. But I'm like you, it's hard to take something like that on faith.

My father is a heart surgeon. He originally told me to shut my mouth and exercise. Then after 12 years if realizing its easier said than done' date=' he said go for it. He said since I was healthy, I would tolerate the surgery fine. He also said it was my decision that only I could make. My sister is in dermatology. She is all for it. In fact, her boss- a doctor, just had it done last year and swears by it. I even spoke to her boss. She told me it was the best thing she's ever done. I'm just a big baby. I'm scared to do it. What if, I'm one of the ones with complications?! What if?! I have 3 young children. If something happens to me, and my kids lose their mother, I did it to myself. That is my biggest fear!! If I had a crystal ball, and or I was guaranteed a successful uneventful surgery, I would do it in a second.[/quote']

I see your point but what If you don't do it and live the same life of limited or non participation in their lives! I was having the same doubts my dr advised me that most complications,especially leaks are self inflicted aka trying to eat too much too soon. I have kids from 21 to 2 years old I knew I wouldn't be much use to the little guy at my weight and it was a huge factor in my decision. I am 10 months out from surgery and feel like I screwed the older kids by not doing it sooner. I decided to stop killing myself one pint of Ben and Jerry's at a time roll the dice and go for it . Good luck!