Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All my hair is falling out

:help: My hair is naturally thin and fine but I have noticed recently that I am loosing hair everywhere even when I scratch my head and few hairs fall out. I have just had my hair cut short and my hairdressers said I have lost hair down both sides of my head - can somebody please tell me how long this goes on for and will it grew back or do I have to visit the doctor or something

It is already starting to grow back, if you feel real close you'll feel the little hairs growing already, at least mine did. You feel like it takes a long time, but it will be back before you know it.

look under "hair loss" and search...you'll find lots of great info and feedback as this is VERY common. My thinned out but is now growing back. All my doctors said "it will grow back."

Shawn

I was told by a physician that I need to take zinc lozenges for Hair loss. I will warn you that I do not care for the way it makes your mouth feel. I am looking into taking zinc in a pill form. Look into this, but this is what I was told. Good luck.

Thanks for all your replies - I will have to sort something out even it means wearing a wig ha ha - what I don't understand is why my hair is falling out when I had the band fitted over six months ago ?

Thanks for all your replies - I will have to sort something out even it means wearing a wig ha ha - what I don't understand is why my hair is falling out when I had the band fitted over six months ago ?

I have not had my first fill yet, but I am due for one the first week in October. The following week I will see a Nutritionist, probably once a month for several months. There has to be a way to balance life with a band and proper BALANCED nutrition. Once I find out, I will most certainly share my findings. :)

Thanks that is very kind LadyK - I have an appointment with my dietician on Friday so I will speak to her - I have not seen her for about three months due to holidays and moving house

According to my surgeon, hair loss is a side affect of weight loss surgery. If you start out with thinner hair, your Hair loss may seem more profound than someone who has thicker hair. Also, he said the good news is that at the time your hair starts falling out is also the time the new growth begins ... something about hair follicles going to sleep then waking up, yada, yada, yada.

My hair has always been thin. After my daughter was born, my hair starting falling out. So, I'm not looking forward to the hair loss I will probably experience 4 to 6 months after banding.

I haven't had surgery yet, but I will tell you what my doctor/nutritionist say: It's about protein...or lack of.

I, personally, have been told to consume 80 grams of Protein per day. Since there is no way possible to do this through food once the band is in place, they expect that I'll have to drink some Protein Drink for the rest of my life.

I asked about Vitamins but they said that Vitamins are micro-nutrients and Protein is a macro-nutrient, which is what affects hair.

I have no idea if all of this is going to keep me from losing hair, but I'm sharing just in case it might help you.

Also, they didn't say this, but some shampoos are less gentle. You might try Biolage from the salon. I've used it when I've lost weight and hair on other diets and it seemed to help after a month or so.