Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Help....

:help: Im having surgery on 10-12-06 which is a thurs. my thing is im a little scared i didn't tell work i having the band put on because everytime a patient makes an appt. for clearance they say something negative about the procedure ( i work at a cardiologist) they say that's the easy way out. But any way i took thurs and friday off and im returnign to work on that following monday, im scared now, i didn't think about too much when i took those days off, but now im thinking is that to soon to go back to work or am i gonna be ok. I just want to see what you guys think. thank you.:)

Best wishes!!! You're starting your new and improved life on my birthday!! I did the exact same thing as you. Surgery on Thursday, Aug. 24, and I TRIED to go back to work on Monday. I thought I was OK, but I only lasted about 2 hours. I wasn't really in pain, I just felt HORRIBLE!! It took me exactly a week to begin to feel normal again! It's very very different for everyone. I'm 39, so maybe my age had something to do with it?? I'm also an assistant principal at a large high school, so I go go go non-stop all day, as I'm sure you do in a doc's office!! Just play it by ear. And if you don't want to tell people, then don't!! GOOD LUCK!!

I am being banded on a Wednesday and going back to school on Monday...full time student-6 classes. The doc said no driving for a week, but work/school is fine --just no lifting. So as long as you aren't lifting patients or huge files, it shouldn't be a problem. But you have plenty of time to ask the doc that before your banding...give him/her a call!

I was banded on a Tuesday and by Saturday I was feeling pretty good. Sunday I actually was cooking food for my family and went to a baby shower. Nobody knows I was banded except my DH. If you have the chance to move surgery to Wed, and take that additional day off I think you would be in pretty good shape. I was just moving very slowly the first few days.

Good luck!

La Chula 27- people who say "it's an easy way out" aren't really thinking about what they are saying.

Here's why:

1) It isn't all that easy- but it works. You are having surgery- nothing easy about that :) And you still have to make good decisions- to work with the band, to excercise, etc for the rest of your life.

2) Why would chosing an easy way to do soemthing be a bad thing? Let's say that lap-banding is easy for argument's sake- are the people who say you are taking the easy way out suggesting that there is something good or sensisble about taking "the hard way"? I claen the carpet using a vacuum cleaner- pretty easy really- would people tell me I shouldn't take the "easy way out" in these circumstances? Would they not criticise me if I tld them I plan to keep my floor clean by getting on my hands and kness and picking up tiny bits of rubbish with tweezers?

3) Getting a lap-band is not the result of saying "what is the easiest way to lose weight?" It is usally the result of asking "what method of weight loss is most likely to work in the long-term?"

I chose the lap-band after a significant amount of research. I am a science geek so I extensively investigated the medical literature about weight loss, rather than relying on "common sense wisdom" or diet books with an agenda and I found that for obese people, no amount of exercise, behavioural modification or dieting is successful in maintaining weight loss for more than 5 years for 95% of us. Surgical intervention has amuch higher success rate, so i chose the lap band.

It is very easy for people to say "just eat less and exercise more", but the facts speak volumes- this doesn't work in the long-term for 95% of people who are obese. Does this mean 95% of obese people are lazy, or weak? I don't think so, it is much more likely that complex physiological and genetic factors are at play, making it hard to keep weight off. Science is making progress in understanding obesity, but there is much to be discovered and understood.

I think one day we will have a blodd test that will predict whether we are in the 5% for whom "eat less, move more" will work.

In summary, the decision you made to get banded could be easy, or it could be hard, but it is much more likley that it will turn out to be the RIGHT decision.

I wish you all the best.

Chula, I think everyone is different. I had my surgery on a Friday, went back to work on Monday (i have a desk job basically) and was playing softball 2 weeks later. If you don't think you can make it the whole day... act like your sick, go home and rest. try it again the next day. As for the comments about taking the easy way out... don't listen.

I walked through 2 airports and then drove myself home the morning after my surgery. I would have been fine to go back to work 4 days post op. Everyone is differant though.

I took a week off because I am in a high-energy job. As far as work is concerned, you are entitled to your privacy, and you are entitled to take time off if you are sick. There are a myriad of excuses you can use, but you do not have to explain anything. Everyone takes off when they are sick.

Take a couple of more days off, if you can, to shorten the first work week. And don't expect anything of yourself after work.

Good luck!

There is no way to know ahead of time how your recovery will be. Some people require longer amounts of time. If you think you'll be uncomfortable at your job, ask for a few more days off. I needed a full week off and felt very tired for nearly two weeks.

I had the surgery on a Tuesday and was scheduled to be back at work on Monday. Unfortunately, because of a complication, I could not go back to work until the following Monday (13 days off).

I also did not tell anyone I worked with. I feel that they would have been too judgmental, so I told a white lie, I told them that I was sick with something else. I did not call in sick until the day before my surgery. I did tell my manager that I was having surgery and that I was going to be off for approx. 1 week but I did not tell him what type of surgery (none of his business). I told him that no one else knew that I was having surgery and asked him to keep it confidential.

Alot is going to depend on pain thresh hold, age and the type of job you have. I have an office job but, it requires a lot of getting up and down from a sitting position. I'm 42 and have a higher pain thresh hold. I had surgery on Monday and took the whole week off. I went back to work the following Monday but found the dress up clothes I have to wear pressed quite a bit on my incisions. I wasn't in terrible pain but, it was really uncomfy for me. I've heard where others went back to work two days later....don't think I could of done that myself. But...as said here...everyone is different. I wish you the best with your surgery :)

Two words, BITE ME... lol just tell them that.

It's not their body. I carried around 150 extra pounds for over 10 years. I feel like I am almost free, it was more of a health concern rather than cosmetic.

Don't let anyone change your mind, you have to do what is right for YOU.

Best of luck to ya!

Chula, I was just banded on Monday and even though I probably could have went back to work in 4 days I took 2 weeks off. So far my recovery hasn't been that bad. Keep in mind it is SURGERY so it's no walk in the park. I spent the first 2 days so high on drugs I don't remember much of it. Then after coming home I slept a lot the 3rd day. And yesterday, the 4th day I was in a bit of pain. Today is going well but still painful. I don't mean to be discouraging but you may want to consider taking another day or two. If your work can wait, but your band can't. Take time to heal properly. I wish you all the best!

Hi,

Got surgery on Thursday morning and went back to work on Monday. I made it a short day though!!!

Good luck and smooth ride.

Ciao... for now.