Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do with too big clothes?

I was banded on August 7, 2006, and have lost about 20 lbs, but my clothes keep getting bigger. (Must be from walking.) So I've been putting the ones that are simply too big in the closet in the guest room -- but my question is, is there any reason to keep them? Am I ever going to be a 3x again? For those who have been banded a while, what did you do about the clothes you grew out of?

Donate them to a local charity, sell them on ebay, throw them away--

I couldn't wait to get rid of my clothes! My mind set was "I am never going to wear this size again, EVER!"

I had stored away my too big clothes too and I had to make myself get rid of them. I can thank my mother for that one. Never get rid of anything is her motto. However, I looked at it as even if this band thing doesnt work out that great ( I am the big optimist ) I will never go back there. So, I chose to give my clothes to places like goodwill and salvation army. You can get a tax deduction too for your belongings. I know how much money I gave away but I got a promise to myself and helped those that might have really needed those clothes. ( I have to confess, I did keep a couple of shirts just for bragging rights). My hubby thinks I am crazy. I probably am but it made sense to me and is a constant reminder of how far I have actually come. Hope this helped. Also, I dont know about your Dr. but my doctors office had a clothing exchange program going for us too. When we grew out of our clothes we could tak ethem there and get clothing that was smaller. It worked out pretty good. Best of luck!

what did you do about the clothes you grew out of?

Our local (Birmingham, AL) weight loss support group has an annual yard sale. I'm going to save my better items and see if I can sell them. But, another option for those who don't want to go to the trouble of selling clothes is to give them away on Freecycle. The nice thing about Freecycle is that it's a direct exchange between the giver and the receiver, rather than going through a 3rd party, like Goodwill. Freecycle is not a charity, per se, and anyone can give or ask for items regardless of their financial status. So, it's also a good way to look for clothes that might only fit for a few months! There are Freecycle lists all over the world, just check for a local group at Freecycle dot org.

Tami

Back in April I had a clothes swap party at my house, there were over 15 people there and everyone brought a plate of band friendly food, I got rid of most of them that way and cause i was a smaller size i didnt get too much in return, but then somone else came and gave me a heap of her clothes a few months ago, so it all equaled out (thank goodness cause I was down to one pair of pants in the middle of winter).

Now today my sisters friend is coming to take my next batch off tooooo big clothes of my hands, and whatever she doesnt take I will open to the victorian banding group to take the rest of my hands.

Some people do sell them on ebay, and we were going to start up selling them on ebay then using the proffits to buy people on the Optifast pre surgury stage a box of optifast to ease the cost, but I dont know what happend to that.

Oh and with my old too big PJs that are just a bit tatty, well i clean my car and bathrooms with them he he he

I hope that helps, but i really think you shouldnt keep them around for too long, it is willing you and playing with your mind. Trust me when you look at your cupboard and it is compleatly diffrent than it use to be it is like that stage of your life is GONE!!! it is very liberating

Whatever you do, get them out of your closet! I take turns giving mine to various charities...I have given some of the nicer clothes to personal friends who were okay with taking them.

You will NEVER WEAR THESE CLOTHES AGAIN.

Sell them on Ebay.:biggrin1:

I had a garage sale and then donated what didnt sale to a local church. I also had 40+ pair of shoes that didnt fit anymore, odd how your shoe size can also change with the loss. It has been fairly expensive to keep my wardrobe going, lol! But it has been so much fun to shop for cute stuff, in REGULAR sizes, that I dont mind it a bit!!!

I am giving the clothes away that are in decent shape, and the rags that I wear which should already be in the garbage are finally going to be put to rest. There is no way I am saving any of these large size clothes. I did save alot of my smaller size clothes so I need to make room in my closet for them!!! Can't wait for that day!

I donated the majority of my clothes to an abused womens shelter. I also had alot of my nicer clothing altered. I found a lady in my neigborhood by accident who sews wedding, prom, & bridesmaids dressses. I had her take in a lot of my work clothes. New wardrobe for about $3-$4 an alteration.

I recommend this especially during the first year when the weight is coming off and sizes are dropping monthly.

What are you kidding?

I am itching to donate and toss and do whatever with my clothes as they get too big...

WHO HOOOO. LET THEM GO!

I posted that I will be getting rid of my 20/22's soon and I got a PM request for them. I can't wait to pass them on to her... that way they she doesn't have to buy new clothes for a size she will only be in temporarily. I have sizes of clothes all the way back down to my goal so I don't necessarily need anything in return. All of my clothes are "business professional" and those are very, very expensive to replace several times a year.

If no one had sent me a request, I would have taken them to a women's shelter here locally that helps abused women and children get jobs and their life back.

I have had 2 children and both times people that I barely knew offered me their maternity clothes to borrow. The first time I had no money to buy them, the second time it was just a bonus. Both times were very much appreciated. So to me its kind of like what goes around comes around and me sharing is continuing the chain, He He, kind of like "Pay Forward" too.