Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Federal Blue Cross And Plastic Surgery

Anybody have any experience with Federal Blue Cross and plastic surgery after weight loss?

Do they pay? I hear that they do pay for quite a bit of it but I'd really like to know from someone who had it rather than from third party sources...

I know I'm getting waaaaaaaay ahead of myself here since I haven't even had my surgery yet but I really think knowing I can finally look normal (for the first time in my life) would be a huge motivator to me.

When I lost 160lbs( I've gained back 60) 12 years ago I was sagging skin everywhere--EVERYWHERE! I was very disappointed that I was still disfigured. I hate to admit this but my husband has never seem me naked with the lights on. He likes to joke by saying he gets glimpses of different parts and then just puts them together in his mind like a puzzle! lol... yes, he is a saint! But I would love to feel comfortable enough to be more at ease. The idea of plastic surgery gives me hope!

Sorry if I've shared too much TMI.....

They used to pay for it, not sure if they still do with all the insurance changes. My friend used Fed Blue Cross for Tummy Tuck after her Gastric Bypass Surgery:)

Hi there:

I would like an answer to this question as well. I will probably have my surgery in mid November or December. I am a Federal retiree that now lives overseas in New Zealand. I have had to use my private health insurance to get my sleeve surgery covered. I am too old for the public medical scheme to cover me here. I am 56 years old and they think less likely to benefit from the surgery, than someone younger (under the age of 50). I hope someone has an answer for us. Take care and good luck.

Karen

Here is the benefit brochure for 2013. The only thing I could find is on page 62 where it says they will pay for surgery to correct a functional defect. Further down, it says Not covered:

Cosmetic surgery – any operative procedure or any portion of a procedure performed primarily to improve physical appearance through change in bodily form – unless required for a congenital anomaly or to restore or correct a part of the body that has been altered as a result of accidental injury, disease, or surgery

My guess is that plastic surgery may be covered if you can prove issues with rashes, sores and so forth.

http://www.fepblue.org/downloads/2013-service-benefit-plan-brochure_100512.pdf

Here is the benefit brochure for 2013. The only thing I could find is on page 62 where it says they will pay for surgery to correct a functional defect. Further down' date=' it says Not covered:

Cosmetic surgery – any operative procedure or any portion of a procedure performed primarily to improve physical appearance through change in bodily form – unless required for a congenital anomaly or to restore or correct a part of the body that has been altered as a result of accidental injury, disease, or surgery

My guess is that plastic surgery may be covered if you can prove issues with rashes, sores and so forth.

http://www.fepblue.org/downloads/2013-service-benefit-plan-brochure_100512.pdf[/quote']

I wonder if having C-Section deliveries qualify as "as the result of ..surgery". Both were necessary for both of my daughter's deliveries. I've lost weight before and the stomach is still such a mess (my husband is also a Saint!). Ill do all I can to minimize sagging skin but for me surgery is the only thing that will do the trick. My sister who has always maintained her weight even had a TT and BA when she was done having kids. Like me the sagging breasts and belly were affecting her self image and her marriage.

I was approved TODAY for the panni part of my tumny tuck! I went to my pcp 1 time for "rashes" that i never really had. My ps sent in the pics they took of me and the office report from my pcp and i was approved super fast. Fep Blue is really the best! GOOD LUCK!!!

I was approved TODAY for the panni part of my tumny tuck! I went to my pcp 1 time for "rashes" that i never really had. My ps sent in the pics they took of me and the office report from my pcp and i was approved super fast. Fep Blue is really the best! GOOD LUCK!!!

OMG I'm so happy for you!!! Keep us posted!

Ashley, does this mean FEPBlue is covering the portion of the Tummy Tuck that removes the panni? That is great!

That's awesome! I found out today that aetna covers the panni surgery too. It's good to know we'll be covered when we need it

That's definitely affordable! I need to get to the doctors to start getting my saggy tummy recorded!

KBT yes!! My portion of payment will be $1800

I went to a plastic surgeon today and they use FedBCBS and he said that he has never had much sucess with getting it approved. Are you using a plastic surgeon? Are you only getting panniculectomy (the skin removed) or are you having an abdominoplasty (ad work, Lipo, etc.)?

I have FEP Blue and haven't had my surgery yet but this possibility makes me hopeful! I don't know how bad the skin issues will be and I have already been trying to think up a plan to round up funding so any coverage would be awesome