Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can Eat Everything

I was sleeved August 9th and am not having trouble getting any food down. Sometimes I wonder if my sleeve isn't small enough. I hear all these stories about people getting sick from certain foods. I have also only lost 24 lbs And 5 was post op. I have been at the exact same weight for 2 weeks now! I can tolerate every food. Nothing bothers me. Should I be worried?

Yes. Quit trying everything and stick to the plan.

Now that I'm a couple of months out I have also found that I can tolerate anything I've tried. But I also found it took about 4-6 weeks before I really felt the full effects of the restriction and consistent greatly reduced hunger.

That having been said, people can use bad habits to defeat the sleeve. The surgery won't work on its own, it's just a tool.

Good luck.

That's great, glad you can tolerate all foods but like the above said just stick the plan - of course were all goin to have days where we cheat & have pizza or etc but you can't eat like that everyday... Hope you continue to do well...

Sent from my iPhone using VST

If you're 5 weeks out and you've lost 24 pounds but been stuck for 2 weeks, that means you lost 24 pounds in 3 weeks. You are doing great! Your body has hit the "3 week stall." It is simply in shock by the amount of calories you have cut from it. The average weight loss is 4 lbs a week so you're still doing good even with your stall.

Keep eating right and exercising and I promise, all of the sudden, you will start dropping the weight again. Most of us here have been in the same place.

But, as the prior posts said.... don't go off plan. This is the time to be establishing new habits that you will stick with for the rest of your life.

The plan being low carb Protein. I will be back on tomorrow. Thanks for showing me the light because I was getting discouraged with the stall I guess I wondered a bit off the plan.

The plan being low carb Protein. I will be back on tomorrow. Thanks for showing me the light because I was getting discouraged with the stall I guess I wondered a bit off the plan.

I'm like you, I can tolerate pretty much everything I try to eat or drink. And like you, I'm sticking to "the plan".

It doesn't mean I am shoving pizza and ice cream down my gullet. :)

I'm with you. I have been stuck now at 52 pounds lost. And my weight is just hardly moving. I'm beyond frustrated. But, I think I too wandered off plan, and didn't even realize I truly had. So, today I'm back on it. I started having that negative voice creep into my head about how this was going to fail too, and I'm just never getting to goal. And started stressing out about disappointing my doctor. I'm working on mentally getting that negative voice out of my head.

Me too, I can eat anything. My appetite and tastes have stayed the same, I just eat very small quantities now instead of huge mountains of food the way I used to.

My doctor advanced me very quickly through the food stages. He does that for most patients but even faster with me because I sailed through with no pain or complications and my weight loss has been good (stalls are normal- they happen when you gain weight too).

Some people seem to have more swelling early out, I think that's why they can have so much trouble getting anything down. I also have a "sleeve of steel" - I've never experienced the "foamies", and even in the first few months it was really rare for any food to cause me even the slightest discomfort. But do be aware that it can take months for your cut nerves in your stomach to heal, which is why you don't want to rely on a sensation of fullness to control your portions - measure, measure, measure.

I'd say the vast majority of us end up eventually (in maintenance) being able to eat more than we should, particularly if we're getting away from dense Protein and letting "slider" foods back in. That's where building good habits will keep you on track, regardless of the size of your sleeve.

The last time I had a check-in with my surgeon, he was shaking his head over the difference in patients. He's been amazed that I've lost more than 100% of my "excess weight" (by his goal measurements), even though I have a sleeve (he has more bypass patients). He was talking about the fact that on the inside, we all end up with more or less the same "tool" to work with, but some of us go so much further with it than others. Certainly part of that is metabolism and other factors beyond our control, but a lot of it can be your personal determination about how you're going to live your life going forward. Make good food choices, move your body (a lot) more, deal with the mental/emotional reasons behind your obesity. If you can manage all that, you'll be a raging success regardless of the size of your sleeve. I've certainly had my struggles along the way, and I've eaten things I wish I hadn't let back into my diet, but I think if you can keep yourself on track, you'll be a success.

In the mean time, know that stalls are part of the journey for most of us, and they're extremely frustrating, but if you stay on track the scale will start moving again. If it doesn't, it's time to take a really good look at what you're eating, and how much. Track every last bite you're consuming, even those chewable vitamins. Figure out whether too many carbs are stalling you journey. And in the mean time, focus on how much progress you've made already, dig out those "before" photos and measurements, go try on some smaller clothes, and make a list of your "NSVs" - non-scale victories. Once you get to maintenance you're going to need something other than plummeting numbers on a scale to give you the positive reinforcement you need to stay on track. Stalls are a great opportunity to practice that skill! (And learn to laugh at the stupid scale. I remember shaking my head at the goofiness of weighing exactly the same amount for five days in a row, down to the tenth of a pound. I mean, what are the chances of that? Even variations in hydration levels should cause more variation than that! At that point I was checking my scale batteries! But I did my best to laugh at the ridiculousness of it.)