Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need This And People Say I Dont?

This is strickly your decision. It's your life and your body. I had my sceptics also. Mostly the people closest to me which surprised me then. But now that its over it was because they werent as educated as I was about the surgery and they were just worried. Now they see the results happening and how well its working for me they are supportive. I just figured if it worked well for me then thats great, but if it didn't i'd be the one paying the price for the wrong decision. There are too many people that this surgery has worked wonderfully for. It is just a tool and the results you get from it will depend on what you put into it. It wont work great all on its own. Watch what you eat, exercise and keep track of your food intake and it will work. Be true to yourself and your decisions, you are the only one whether good or bad that it will effect. I wish you all the luck!!

maybe they just think that you can lose it without the surgery.. they probably are not intending to be rude, but are also not taking your feelings into consideration...

I had people say that to me too, I'm 5'3" and was 236 on surgery day (lost 4lbs during 9 day pre-op diet). People would say, "you're not THAT big," um, yeah, I am, but thanks, I guess! It is truly your decision. I think people assume that WLS is only for people who have several hundred pounds to lose, which is so not the case. Good luck to you! :)

Well it dos NOT get any easier as you age - as people like me will attest to. YES, you are pretty young but I'd rather see someone as young as you do this then subject themselves to decades of obesity. Had I known how miserable being fat was for 30+ years I would of JUMPED at the chance to do this at your age.

As Ugot2laff points out, you're a big girl now and this is YOUR decision. Weigh all the benefits and risks and make your decision.

I agree with all of the above. People will say you don't need it because they love you as you are, or they are worried, or it is a way to minimize you referring to yourself as fat, whatever.

But the facts are that you qualify, and you want it.

Like Rootman says, no need to suffer for 30 years before you decide to take the bull by the horns. My beginning stats were similar to yours, and I cannot tell you how happy I am now, and how even people who loved me just the way I was love the different person I am now.

It is your personal choice, between you and your doctor.

Well my family is pretty supportive and my bf too but my family have seen my struggles so they understand ... I also have hypothyroidism. I've the weight before did awesome loosing it went from 200 to 145 in 3 months but I couldn't keep it off I gained everything and more back within a yr and a half. As for comments like "Your not that big" or "But you carry it well " I dont how anyone carries fat well sorry ya there are still gorgeous women who are big but ad for carrying it well that statement honestly irritates the piss outta me I mean I know people are just trying to be nice but anyone who is big hell we've he heard it all before ... when I lost weight last time down to 145 I was the best me I've ever been happy beautiful confident now im just miserable I feel disgusting and can't even except a compliment I miss being a happy person used to you couldn't tell me I wasn't pretty I wouldn't believe ya lol I just miss being a happy me that I knows hiding deep down inside. I was previously married just divorced last month and my husband was not supportive of surgery due to risks I've always done for everyone but me and i've lost me it time for me to do something for myself I find myself again I dont wanna care what others think but it just brings me down about my decision im barely started yet haven't even attended seminar yet but im excited I've made up ky mind to finally do it and dont wanna here wat people have to say if its gonna just bring me down I almost dont wanna tell neone about it but I dont wanna feel ashamed about it either this is supposed to be a good thing for me

I am 31, 5 ft 2, started at 213 BMI of 39. People have STILL (just even today, I was sleeved 9/4), told me I didn't need this surgery. Today, just over 7 days later, I am down to 198! I didn't have any comorbidities, any high blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. But when would I have gotten it? I was headed to death with my weight. Eventually. I just explain to people that I don't want to end up on medication, or not be able to run & play with my 9 year old, or keep up with my super active hubby. My husband, however supportive he is, still says, "you aren THAT big"! He doesn't mean it rude at all, and I know what he is saying. But being short, I feel like an apple. I will finally feel the way I do inside, the person who can do anything. Not sit in a chair & hear/feel it creak. Sit in seats at the Ranger game, and comfortably! No spill over the table at the chiropractor. I did it for me. And for my family. Also, I was adopted & know NOTHING about my family history, other than there was obesity, and heart problems. What has come up in 31 years? There could be a lot of issues now with my birth mother/father & their families that I could have if I am obese. Just my .02¢. :-)

Robyn

Niici I'm 26, 5'0 218lbs, BMI 42.5 If I need this then u absolutely need it. I understand how u feel because most see our small frame and assume this isn't needed but it is.

No doubt. I'm in a similar situation as people are trying to discourage me because of thier own insecurities. But what about how YOU feel? You know how you feel. The backpain, medical issues, just not feeling awesome like a person in our age range should! Take control of YOUR life and do what's best for you.

Girl im so ready to do something for me and make me happy :) yes back pain leg pain troubles breathing troubles breathing during sex etc. Lol I wanna be able to do things again and be able to breathe and not hurt while or after lol

I have people tell me this too I am 5'4 217 lbs with diabetes and I really don't care what they say , they aren't the ones with a life of sickness and trouble laying ahead of them ... Don't worry about others trying to talk you out of it , do what you need to do for yourself . I can totally relate to this post though