Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Day Post-Op And Hungry

Hi everyone, I was sleeved on 9/7. So far, I feel ok. Not super great, not super crummy. I am only able to get about 16 oz. of Water in a day; 8 oz of chicken broth, and I'll have 1 fudgecicle and 1 popcicle a day. Currently, my biggest problem is the acid and hunger. I'm on the acid blockers the doctor gave me which has made it tolerable (it was really uncomfortable right after surgery). And I'm still taking pain meds for the largest incision site - it feels the tightest and I'm still feeling a little pain.

My biggest problem now is the hunger. I am constantly feeling hungry. I've heard that the acid will mimic the hunger symptoms but all I do is think about food! I was hoping that my craving for food would go away with this surgery and that removing the majority of the Ghrelin would help as well but it hasn't so far. Is this because my stomach is healing? Will I eventually stop feeling the constant hunger and food cravings that got me in this predicament to begin with?

The hunger pains are not just the acid, but healing pains. You cut your finger and it throbs right? You stub your toe, it throbs, imagine what they did to your stomach, cutting from the top down, staples, they bougie, etc.

Mine felt like I was having extreme hunger pains, but I knew I really wasn't hungry because I would get full drinking my one ounce cups of Water after like 3 ounces.

Remember that your stomach, inside and outside is swollen and it takes about 6-8 weeks for all the swelling to go down. Mine was swollen for 8 weeks and I also had a hernia repair, so with that said, all you can do for yourself now is realize the pains you feel are not hunger, it's acid, gas, healing and when you tell yourself that, and you actually believe it, I hope the power of positive thinking, saying okay my stomach is healing, I'm not "starving" will help you get through this phase.

Many of us have been where you are, and there are so many that wishes they were were where you are now. Best of luck, I hope your healing is quick and congrats for being on this side of the sleeve.

Thank you so much for your reply. You're right, I have to remember that it was a major trauma that my body has gone through but sometimes it's so easy to forget when the trauma done is inside your body where you can't see it. :) I am going to let my body heal, and try to keep reminding myself that this is part of the journey. Sometimes, I still can't believe I actually went through with the procedure and I'm sleeved!

Good for you. I know what you are talking about, my stomach groaned, grumbled and it was so weird because I was like I know I am not hungry and it talked non-stop. Luckily it did eventually go away. I would always drink Water when it was getting bad like that thinking that it would sooth it.

I'm three months out and though I went through some serious complications during surgery and my recovery took a little longer than some, it is so worth it!!

Good for you. I know what you are talking about' date=' my stomach groaned, grumbled and it was so weird because I was like I know I am not hungry and it talked non-stop. Luckily it did eventually go away. I would always drink Water when it was getting bad like that thinking that it would sooth it.

I'm three months out and though I went through some serious complications during surgery and my recovery took a little longer than some, it is so worth it!![/quote']

Curious of your complications since I have had soo many also

Thanks for this post! We're surgery sisters! I'm missing food! But following everything strictly. IM down 10 lbs since the 7th, how about you??

Everyday is getting better. Today, I didn't even have to take the pain meds, but I am still taking the acid blockers. The hunger feeling is getting a little better. It hasn't completely gone away, but it's more tolerable now.

I weighed myself on Monday when I got home and I was down 6 lbs. I haven't weight myself since. I'm still scared to step on the scale because I'm still afraid that this surgery won't work or will work VERY SLOWLY for me. As anxious as everyone who has this surgery are to get on the scale, I'm terrified of it! :) I've just been so disappointed every time I've gotten on the scale that I avoid it like the plague now. I will check my progress on Sunday. Hopefully I will have lost a few more lbs. by then.

4 days out and i am feeling a lot of (what seems like) hunger pains, so it is good to hear the reasons. i am not eating but feel like i could if i wasn't scared of the consequences.

The hunger pains are not just the acid, but healing pains. You cut your finger and it throbs right? You stub your toe, it throbs, imagine what they did to your stomach, cutting from the top down, staples, they bougie, etc.

Mine felt like I was having extreme hunger pains, but I knew I really wasn't hungry because I would get full drinking my one ounce cups of Water after like 3 ounces.

Remember that your stomach, inside and outside is swollen and it takes about 6-8 weeks for all the swelling to go down. Mine was swollen for 8 weeks and I also had a hernia repair, so with that said, all you can do for yourself now is realize the pains you feel are not hunger, it's acid, gas, healing and when you tell yourself that, and you actually believe it, I hope the power of positive thinking, saying okay my stomach is healing, I'm not "starving" will help you get through this phase.

Many of us have been where you are, and there are so many that wishes they were were where you are now. Best of luck, I hope your healing is quick and congrats for being on this side of the sleeve.

So glad you posted this. I was sleeved on Sept 10th and I am feeling the exact same way. I continue to drink but the "hunger" pains are gruesome. Now that I no longer have gas pains I can really feel the pain at the largest incision site. It hurts when I get up or turn. I tried to back off the pain meds but I think I am going to have to take some for a little while longer. I HAVE NO REGRETS!

So glad you posted this. I was sleeved on Sept 10th and I am feeling the exact same way. I continue to drink but the "hunger" pains are gruesome. Now that I no longer have gas pains I can really feel the pain at the largest incision site. It hurts when I get up or turn. I tried to back off the pain meds but I think I am going to have to take some for a little while longer. I HAVE NO REGRETS!

Same day, same results. I feel a little bit better every day, but have "hunger" pains and it hurts getting up and down and turning in bed. The pain is brief and tolerable and everything else seems OK. Good luck, I will be following you.

I think this is normal for some of us because after my surgery about day 5 I was do freaking hungry. I'm now 3 weeks post and I don't get hungry really anymore. It will pass

I am a little more than 2 weeks and my stomach area still hurts a lot sometimes, depending on my activity level. It's around the largest incision mostly. Every day is a tiny bit better, though!

Whew! I feel a lot better. I started drinking Decaf hot tea and mixed chicken broth with cream of chicke (this keeps the hunger monster away). :D Off the pain meds--large incision area is still sore but much better. Yay!!