Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Easy Way.....

As I sit out in my garden on a beautiful sunny morning (in UK) I am thinking about my 6 weeks post-op check yesterday!

From reading so many posts on this forum I had a list of questions and expected to come home with a whole load of 'dos' and 'don'ts' - but there was none of that. So I wanted to share the following.....

I think I've already said in previous posts that I have been lucky with an easy recovery-pain for no more than a week, moved through liquids, puréed food, sifts and now onto solids all pretty easily! I feel too full occasionally but am learning my limits still and have lost just over 35lbs!

But I think about all the people on this forum-the obsession with amount of Proteins vs amounts of

Liquids! How to eat, what not to eat etc.... The questions and concerns it seems are endless BUT I discussed all this with my surgeon who is a leader in the field in this country and I have come to the conclusion IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY!!

I am doing this the easy way-he told me- I am a normal person, the same as before but I have a smaller stomach! And I wanted to remind some of you out there of this! It's upto me what I put in my mouth! I have a balanced diet which includes bread, rice, fruit etc. if I get constipated I can take a bit of laxatives but should remember to drink a bit more! It doesn't have to be just water-I like tea and coffee and fruit juice! I even managed to have some diet coke yesterday and it was really refreshing!

I had this op to escape the crazy world of dieting- and that's exactly what I am doing! I'm finally living life without the worry and it's great! Yes I am mostly sensible-but have had a couple of glasses of wine and a bit of cake and the difference is I can now stop myself going overboard!

My concerned friends are now smiling and feeling relieved when they see me eat a balanced meal or share in a nibble of something naughty!

So I just want to show you-there is an easy way here! So stop worrying and start living! You can do it! I have!

:-)

P.S - just want to point out that I said at the start-I know I am lucky! I know it will not be this easy for all-but this may help relieve some people's fears and concerns!

Xxx

As I sit out in my garden on a beautiful sunny morning (in UK) I am thinking about my 6 weeks post-op check yesterday!

From reading so many posts on this forum I had a list of questions and expected to come home with a whole load of 'dos' and 'don'ts' - but there was none of that. So I wanted to share the following.....

I think I've already said in previous posts that I have been lucky with an easy recovery-pain for no more than a week, moved through liquids, puréed food, sifts and now onto solids all pretty easily! I feel too full occasionally but am learning my limits still and have lost just over 35lbs!

But I think about all the people on this forum-the obsession with amount of Proteins vs amounts of

Liquids! How to eat, what not to eat etc.... The questions and concerns it seems are endless BUT I discussed all this with my surgeon who is a leader in the field in this country and I have come to the conclusion IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY!!

I am doing this the easy way-he told me- I am a normal person, the same as before but I have a smaller stomach! And I wanted to remind some of you out there of this! It's upto me what I put in my mouth! I have a balanced diet which includes bread, rice, fruit etc. if I get constipated I can take a bit of laxatives but should remember to drink a bit more! It doesn't have to be just water-I like tea and coffee and fruit juice! I even managed to have some diet coke yesterday and it was really refreshing!

I had this op to escape the crazy world of dieting- and that's exactly what I am doing! I'm finally living life without the worry and it's great! Yes I am mostly sensible-but have had a couple of glasses of wine and a bit of cake and the difference is I can now stop myself going overboard!

My concerned friends are now smiling and feeling relieved when they see me eat a balanced meal or share in a nibble of something naughty!

So I just want to show you-there is an easy way here! So stop worrying and start living! You can do it! I have!

:-)

P.S - just want to point out that I said at the start-I know I am lucky! I know it will not be this easy for all-but this may help relieve some people's fears and concerns!

Xxx

Like you, I have been exceptionally lucky in my recovery. I had a couple minor hiccups, but nothing to complain about.

What bothers me about your post is that every surgeon (or so it seems) has their own approach and philosophy regarding self-care and "diet" after surgery. (I put diet in quotation marks because I no longer consider myself to be "on a diet"....I am simply eating for the rest of my life.). In my opinion, and you're welcome to take it or leave it, we should each be following the advice of our own surgeons/nutritionists....that is, after all, what we pay them for, right? I knew going in that my surgeon's philosophy was relatively conservative. He strongly recommends no smoking, no drinking, and low carb after surgery. Not because he wants me to feel deprived (which I don't), but because those things aren't healthy for me. My food choices, prior to surgery, are the reason I ended up needing surgery....why would I continue to put the same crap....even in "small portions"....into my body after surgery? It's like they say....the definition of insanity is doing the same thing, over and over, expecting a different outcome!

So, rather than saying "You can eat anything you want, and drink anything you want!", I would suggest "Ask your surgeon/nutritionist if you can have x, y, or z, but listen to what your surgeon/nutritionist tells you in response.". If you don't (listen to your own surgeon), you're taking your success into your own hands.

Personally, I'm sick of insanity, and am trying something completely different. The results are in my tickers.

I wish you great success!

Hi nicky :) I think your post is great, it follows my philosophy :D

But- everyone is on own journey and I would add a disclaimer that everything in moderation is not going to work for everyone here :) this may in fact sabotage their weight loss (as lollyfiddy said) if their nut or doc aren't supportive of this decision or able to counsell them thru the hard times.

Also, because i have gone to both extremes and back I do find that moderation is not the easy way for me... I think it is the right way for me, but I struggle everyday :) I continue to have severe guilt around certain foods and other foods (like soda) are definitely triggers or sliders that I just can't have any more...

Thanks for sharing though :) and good luck!

What a great post - thank you. I'm almost 2 weeks post op, so the reassurance like this is great!

Thank you so much for that post. I am almost a week out think why can't I just use this tool as it is. Why do I have to change to drinking these stinking shakes. I don't want to push it but I feel ok (not great). It's still early. I can drink fine slowly but fine no pain. The pain was from.the narcotics and gas. As soon as I stopped the drugs and hot my %&% in gear I was fine.

I would love to be able to get my Protein naturally I'm working on it. Still drinking the stinking shakes though.

So refreshing thanks.

This is always an interesting topic and one I've had to figure out for myself as time went on. I think it all depends on how you got here. For me, I did 2 things wrong, I was a compulsive eater and I ate all the wrong foods. Those 2 bad behaviors fueled each other. At 4 months post op I know now that I cannot eat the way I used to eat and rely on the sleeve to control my portions for me. There are just too many slider foods available. A compulsive eater will actively try to eat around the sleeve. I had to learn new behaviors, and I had to learn a new normal. What some people would call a diet, I call a new healthy way of eating, which excludes some foods that I previously enjoyed. I cannot eat those foods in moderation, not just because I'm weak, but because certain foods do contain chemical triggers to entice you to eat more and more of them.

I look at it like this, some people can drink alcohol regularly and not become alcoholics, some cant. Well for me, starches were my alcohol. I can't have them in moderation or I will go off the deep end. I feel similarly about chocolate, but I've let my Protein shakes take the place of candy bars so I get to enjoy chocolate everyday....keeps me from feeling deprived I guess.

I also discovered something else interesting this weekend. My BIL and SIL came to stay with us for a few days. We had fun, but I realized how much my wife's family centers everything around mealtime. food is not just fuel for them, as it has become for me. It is the cornerstones of the day's activities. After 4 months of eating only when I needed fuel, I realized how much I used to be this way and I hate it now. Every time I turned around we stopped everything for a 2 hour meal. Just seems like wasted time to me now. I can grab my Protein and be back on the trail in 20 minutes.

I totally totally totally, 1000 times over, agree with you. And we are lucky that we know when to limit ourselves and to stay balanced. At first I didn't understand why some people go so hardcore and cut out some things all together. After reading I see it is the best decision for them to stay away from temptation. Yet, we are lucky to where we can keep a balanced perspective and eating habits. I wish you only the best of luck!!!!

I'm with you. I try to eat sensibly, but I have something little and sweet every day. I smoke socially, I drink occasionally, I have a small glass of soda every day. I'm almost 6 months out, my weightloss is great and I feel wonderful. No problems here. I could easily drive myself crazy with all of the balancing of the Proteins and other things, but its just not happening here.

It's all about balance, and everyone's balance is different. There are no blanket statements that apply to the sleeve! Keep on, keepin on!

Thanks for this post. I'm 4 days out, getting used to my sleeve, but this post made me feel very good this morning as I'm choking back my Protein Shake. Thanks so much!!!

I'm glad for you but I couldn't do it that way. In the "old" days I was addicted to food, especially carbs. If I had a pastry this morning, I'd have two this afternoon and even more tomorrow until they were gone. I'm not going to get back on that slippery slope. But these approaches are a matter of choice and yours works for your, mine for me.

However, while I may have misinterpreted your post, it appears you are suggesting keeping track of Fluid intake is not necessary. Ask those who needed intravenous fluids or who have had a lack of fluids affect their body's organs.

I don't track my fluids, but In a way I do. I don't record them, but I have a 24 oz water bottle that goes everywhere with me. I make myself drink 4 fills of it daily. No matter what. Done. It's easier for me that way.

Nicky, what a wonderful way of putting what I'm feeling into words :) I'm 3 months out, and enjoying every bite! I still make very conscious decisions of what to put in my body, and make sure I hit my Protein goals, but have enjoyed a bite or two of cupcake at birthday parties. I must be doing something right as I'm down 62 lbs in my 3 months, and 112 lbs since my first appointment back in February. I think you are on the right track to be very successful!!

I don't track my fluids, but In a way I do. I don't record them, but I have a 24 oz Water bottle that goes everywhere with me. I make myself drink 4 fills of it daily. No matter what. Done. It's easier for me that way.

I see. That's how I track my fluids, too.