Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does anyone feel the same way?

:) I am in the process of scheduling my pre-op's. I just keep wondering why I can't do this without the lap band. And if I can't do it now....... will I be able to do it after.!!!! Most of the time I do not eat out of hunger (I eat because it tastes GOOD!!) Was or is anyone in the same boat as me? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have tried, Richard Simmons, NutriSystem, W.W., Jenny Craig, Phentermine, if it's a diet I've done it and I too worried what made me think that this lapband would work, but trust me it does. If I can loose a pound on this anyone can. I mean I have tried to loose 5 pounds in the past and couldn't loose 5 pounds. I have had the band for 2 months and although my weight loss has slowed down I've still lost 40 pounds, so yes, you can do this. Just take it easy after surgery and let yourself heal and don't worry about weight loss because you won't have a fill yet and you won't see a whole lot until your fill. Good luck with your surgery, you'll do great.

I know what you mean! My surgery is Nov 2nd and in the back of my mind, I'm wondering if this will work because nothing else has. But based on the all of the great stories I've seen on this board, I'm keeping the faith that getting banded WILL work and I WILL be successful! Keep the faith geralyng!

Denise

I worry about it too. Just like most of you, I've been on every diet known to man, I'm fairly successful at losing weight but I can't keep it off! I always revert back to the same old habits. I worry that after a few months of having the lapband, I'll somehow revert back to my bad habits and eat around the band.

I will have my first appt next Friday. I was all excited at first about this surgery, but then I read about the people who've not lost any weight, or only a few pounds. Do I want to go through the pain and expense and not lose any weight? I am so afraid that will happen to me.

:) I am in the process of scheduling my pre-op's. I just keep wondering why I can't do this without the lap band. And if I can't do it now....... will I be able to do it after.!!!! Most of the time I do not eat out of hunger (I eat because it tastes GOOD!!) Was or is anyone in the same boat as me? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ok, I am having a bit of a bad day, and am a bit cranky, so I hope this doesn't come off sounding mean spirited or anything, and if it does, feel free to tell me off, lol.

Uh, yes, we are all "in the same boat" as you. We did not get fat by eating to satisfy the hunger and stop as soon as it was. We got fat because we kept eating, because we like the taste of food, because it makes us feel good, etc. etc. And yes, everyone here has probably tried just about every diet known to mankind before getting the band. What you are feeling/experiencing is really no different than what anyone else has.

What makes you different from the millions of other obese people is you have decided enough is enough, you want to be healthy and you are going to take whatever measures you have to take that will work for you to get there.

With all that being said, at this point it really doesn't matter that you couldn't lose the weight without the lapband. If any of us could, and keep it off, this site wouldn't exist, and neither would the band. If you have proper restriction, make smart food choices and listen to your band, you cannot fail with it! Even if you occassionally make poor food choices, your band will not let you go crazy because you will still only be able to eat a small amount of that poor choice. As long as you don't go crazy and eat nothing but crap food, you will do fine. The band is a wonderful tool and it will take care of you so long as you take care of you as well.

Ok, stepping off my soapbox now.

Sorry.

Being banded makes a difference like night and day for most people. Once that hunger and "endless pit" feeling is removed, you will probably be shocked at how easy it is.

For ME, I know 100% absolutely positively that there is a physical component to my obesity that the band fixed. Because while I was banded I was finally at peace with food and hunger. Since it's been removed my physical symptoms have returned just like before.

So being banded is completely different from not being banded - for most people.

Once that hunger and "endless pit" feeling is removed, you will probably be shocked at how easy it is.

How well said. I can't believe the difference. I have been banded 10 days. I have lost 13 lbs. For some reason just having the band on has done something to the constant hunger. I told my doctor yesterday when he removed my staples that it was a miracle. Katt

Thank you all for your responses, whether you agreed with me, gave your opinion or lectured (lol) it REALLY is helpful to know that others feel the same way. It confirms that we are not alone in this

I think as you can already tell by the other replies, fear of the lapband being just another failed "program" is common if not universal.

Previously, I lived and breathed food- it consumed my every waking (and some sleeping) moment.

I discussed this with my surgeon and he advised that while being banded does require some "discipline"- it is not like a diet. he said that even in the worse case scenario there would be some weight loss because it would just not be possible for me to eat the sheer quantity of food I did.

Ana amazing thing happened over the last 18 months- I lost my obsession with food- I don't miss it- and I ate not out of hunger but because I loved food. It seems that the lapband has affected not only my hunger, but for some reason my psychological dependence on eating.

Apparently this is not uncommon.

Good luck