Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Cannot Get Myself To Drink Protien Anymore, Is This Harmful... 6 Weeks Out

Not drinking Protein is not a big deal, however not getting in the requisite amount is a big deal. Some docs encourage their patients to move from Protein drinks to real food as soon as practical while others don't care so much. I was able to move off of the drinks as a necessity fairly quickly, around three weeks or so, but still used them as a convenience and exercise recovery drink.

What issues are you having with the drinks - taste/texture, keeping them down, etc.? My wife had a hard time using them when she went thru this several years ago, but was able to make do with other foods, though it was more of a struggle for her for a while than it was for me (just those variations between us all....) The Protein powders can be mixed into other things to enhance their protein, so you aren't restricted to the Protein shake form - add it into SF puddings, yogurt, mashed potatoes, Soups, etc. Try different brands if taste/texture is the issue, as there is a wide variation between brands.

Good luck with it, but do get in the protein that you need, one way or another.

If you're not drinking Protein, how are you getting enough Protein every day? Have you had your diet advanced to eat solid foods already?? (I was still on full liquids at 8 weeks post-op.) At nearly 12 weeks post-op, I'm not able to eat enough "real" food to reach my minimum protein intake for a day. I still supplement with chocolate Muscle Milk lite, and Gelatein 20, every day.

The short answer to your question is...yes, it IS harmful to not get adequate amounts of protein every day (75-90 grams/day for me). And, yes, it IS harmful to attempt getting your protein from sources you've not yet been cleared to consume. If you're cleared for solid food, then its fine, as long as you're able to consume enough to meet minimum protein levels.

A problem with not getting your Protein in is muscle loss and Hair loss. Your body will start to metabolize muscle for fuel when glycogen is used up. Your cells will not replenish themselves and would most likely resort in malnutrition. I am 11 months out and still drink 1 Protein Drink a day. I love the Premier from costco or Sam's club. It tastes like a milk shake and has very little carbs.

Not drinking Protein is not a big deal' date=' however not getting in the requisite amount is a big deal. Some docs encourage their patients to move from Protein drinks to real food as soon as practical while others don't care so much. I was able to move off of the drinks as a necessity fairly quickly, around three weeks or so, but still used them as a convenience and exercise recovery drink.

What issues are you having with the drinks - taste/texture, keeping them down, etc.? My wife had a hard time using them when she went thru this several years ago, but was able to make do with other foods, though it was more of a struggle for her for a while than it was for me (just those variations between us all....) The protein powders can be mixed into other things to enhance their protein, so you aren't restricted to the protein shake form - add it into SF puddings, yogurt, mashed potatoes, Soups, etc. Try different brands if taste/texture is the issue, as there is a wide variation between brands.

Good luck with it, but do get in the protein that you need, one way or another.[/quote']

I'm gonna take you advice toady an try to add the PP to me pudding. Thank you

I can't stand them and do ot drink them. I can't bring myself to drink something that makes me puke and gag.

For some reason, my taste buds change rapidly. I cannot stand the taste of the shakes anymore. I am on solid foods now, and I find myself craving meat constantly. I hope things workout for me. I am 25lbs down in 6 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using VST

No, as long as you're getting it through food. I did the same thing. I like real food and since 4 weeks out, I've been weaning myself off of them. I'm coming up on 7 weeks now and I only have a shake every other day or every two days and still manage to get in over 100g of Protein.< /p>

I don’t like shakes either so I use minimal amount of liquid I do 150ml of milk/hazelnut milk to my 2 scoops of powder so it’s a thicker shake but not so much of it.

I also have some ready to drinks that are 40g or Protein a bottle and drink one of them over the whole day if I just can’t be bothered to do another shake that day.

For some reason, my taste buds change rapidly. I cannot stand the taste of the shakes anymore. I am on solid foods now, and I find myself craving meat constantly. I hope things workout for me. I am 25lbs down in 6 weeks.

Odds are, if you're craving meat, you're probably not getting enough Protein. (Our bodies work like that...you CRAVE the things you need.) If you're only eating "solid" foods for Protein, you may need to eat more often, in order to ensure you're getting enough. (I typically eat something protein about every 3 hours, give or take.)

For some reason' date=' my taste buds change rapidly. I cannot stand the taste of the shakes anymore. I am on solid foods now, and I find myself craving meat constantly. I hope things workout for me. I am 25lbs down in 6 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

If you are off restrictions, beef Jerky will take care of that meat craving and give you plenty of Protein. I am 8 weeks out and pretty much off Protein Shakes. I am getting 100 grams of Protein from real food and the occasional Protein Bar.

6 weeks may be a little early for Jerky, check with your Doc or NUT. At 8 weeks it will be fine.

Try smoothie Kings Gladiator Protein. It has 45 grams of protein per two scoops and it mixes well and tastes pretty good. I make myself a smoothie with it. Fresh fruit, low sugar yogurt, Protein Powder and ice in the blender. Very tasty, much better than Protein Shakes. Also, you can buy yourself a Gladiator smoothie at your local smoothie king shop. Protein shakes are not my favorite either, but Atkins and muscle milk are two that I sometimes drink. Work hard to get my 70 grams in everyday.