Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My cry for help

:think Well, I havent posted in a long long time, shame on me. I have had very good success being banded almost a year. I have lost 140lbs. Ok, here is the catch. I am miserable. Dont get me wrong the new body that I am seeing is wonderful ( hubby doesnt mind either). However, 8 out of 10 times that I try to eat lately I almost always can not keep it down. If I drink too late at night like a sip before bedtime, I end up choking on it in my sleep( let me tell ya that is pleasant).I have tried to really push the protien but now I am so constipated I am in tears. I dont know what to do. I am in no way regretting my decision to have this band placed I am just confused and concerned. I think part of my problem is that my nerves have been shot about the last 2 months. We have moved with the military from New Mexico to Alabama and it has been the move from hell. Pre banded when my nerves were shot it would effect my stomach, so I am figuring why not now too just in a different way? I am trying desperatly to find a doctor in SOuthern Alabama even possibly in Florida. Not much luck yet. I dunno, should I be worried that something is terrible wrong with me? I do not want to lose my band. I have only had one fill since my surgery and no more. I think maybe an unfill might help my situation???? If anyone has any ideas please please please share.

Wow you have had such wonderful success!

If you had stomach problems during stressful situations before banding, it is perfectly logical to think that is the cause now. If I were you, I would think of a slight unfill due to the fact that you are having trouble with liquids.

I found a couple of sites that have dr. names and numbers.. If you have called these then disregard, but I was hoping I could help by providing some links.

http://www.wishcenter.org/new/referral_al.asp

http://www.al.com/healthfit/mobileregister/index.ssf?/specialreport/mobileregister/healthwise/04_307gastric.html

http://www.docshop.com/bariatric_weight_loss_surgeons/no/alabama/mma.html

http://www.locateadoc.com/directory.cfm/46/AL/Birmingham

Good luck and take care of yourself first so that you are healthy to take care of the ones you love.

Oh Leigh Anne--I am so sorry, I have no answers for you!!! If you were still in NM I would race over and at least give you a hug--and try to help! I do think maybe a slight unfill would ease some of your problems. Once your stomach and esophogus are irritated it seems to start an evil cycle, maybe it would stop the cycle, and allow you to heal, and be comfortable again.

I hope your move ends up being a good one, I can only imagine the stresses involved. For now, stay in touch here on the boards if nothing else we can provide some moral support. If you can talk to your banding Dr. maybe he can help with referring you to another Dr. If not I can share my fill Dr.'s # in Colorado, and his office help is super nice, maybe they can help you find someone close to you...in the meantime, hang in there!!!

Kat

I am so sorry for all you are going through. You should be so proud of the success you have had so far. I agree that a little unfill may be in order.

I am in Virginia, so no help with finding a doc, but please keep us posted and vent here as much as possible.

Hugs,

Leigh Ann, an unfill would DEFINITELY help and I really think it's in order. The longer you let things go on the way they are the greater potential for problems later on. Don't be afraid of an unfill: it will let you eat better food and take better care of yourself and your life. It's impossible to operate without a good night's sleep--I know!! I'm going for an unfill tomorrow morning after a week of being marginally too tight. It's just not worth it to be so uncomfortable.

You've done a REMARKABLE job with your weight loss and now your focus has to turn to the long term. Band health means stomach health, esophagus health, and brain health, so don't compromise everything because you're reluctant to adjust your band. Find a doctor as soon as you can, or if you have no options perhaps your surgeon can call a physican and you can find someone to take some Fluid out. I mean, that doesn't have to be done by a band doctor, necessarily.

It seems to be a very common experience that as time goes by we need less and less Fluid in our bands to maintain the same restriction. That's certainly been true for me. It may just be time for you to have a small adjustment to make it a little looser and you can move along in your new body. Good luck!! :)

You all have always been so supportive of me and my journey. I have been online this afternoon and I am actively searching for a doctor. I will definitly keep you all posted on what is going on. Hubby is gone right now ( yeah Army) so I am facing this crap alone. Luckily, we have this tool to support eachother. Again thank you so very much.

Hubby is gone right now ( yeah Army) so I am facing this crap alone.

Hugs... I know that in itself must be stressful. Please keep coming back.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you find a Dr., we can all call our dr's offices and see if they have any suggestions for referrals if you want....

My band is one of the emotional ones. I tell everyone that stress makes my band tighten up like a virgin on prom night.

Until you can find a doctor, I would suggest sticking to liquids, or maybe soft foods. Baby your band a little bit and see if that helps.

And remember that you can always vent on LBT about anything and everything. We will give you strength and comfort, if you let us know what is going on in your life.

Leigh Ann,

What stands out to me in your cry for help is "I am miserable". I can relate... while happy for the weight loss there is this misery that really is about fear. I know I need to have some fill removed, but I'm so afraid that I'll overeat if I do. I'm the one who started the "spitting in a cup" thread. I appreciate everyone's input so much and keep putting it off one more day to see if maybe I will just get through a "meal" like a normal person... it's been so long. With everything else you have going on - it's just one more frustration to bear. I'm going to call and schedule my unfill now and I hope you do too - I know you have doctor issues. Good luck, I feel your pain! But let's be positive that we can get this right and control ourselves with a little less fill.

Leigh,

I am so sorry you are going thru this. I, too was feeling exactly the same way you were for way too long and even though I was losing 12-15 lbs a month that was not the way I wanted to lose it. My stomach and esophagus got so irritated from the vicious cycle of PBing that my band eventually closed up and i couldn't swallow my own spit or any Water, let alone food. I went to the ER and got an emergency unfill and am now currently unfilled. Like Alex said, your health is not worth losing weight at a faster pace. I am going to get re-filled but probably about half of what I had in before. I want my band to last for a long time and I dont' want to be barfing all of the time and miserable. I know that you said you were looking for a fill doc in Florida. I go to Dr.Jessee in Largo Fl which is close to Tampa/st.Pete and she is awesome. I know that she takes Mexico patients, I am one too. If you want her info she is at SunCoastBariatrics.com. I don't know how close that is to you but she is well worth the price IMO. I do hope you can get some saline out and let your tummy heal. i have been unfilled for 3 weeks and feel WORLDS better from not puking or sliming at all. It has slowed down my WL but I haven't gained so I think it is worth it at this point. I hope you can feel better soon~ OH and BTW Congrats to you on a job well done on your WL, you have done fabulous!! :clap2:

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/167/160

5'7''

I think I have found a doctor. This doctor is in Pensacola, FL. It is 139 miles from me but that is as close as I could find. I am so excited and I hope that he accepts me as a patient. I should find out this evening or tomorrow morning. You guys are the best. Thanks for your kind words and thoughts. I will let ya know what I find out. The earliest he can see me is Oct. 2 if I am accepted. I guess there is light at the end of the tunnel and it may not be a train. Hope you all have a good day.

Oh Leigh Ann....I am so sorry your going through this but glad you may have found your doctor!!! :) I would stick with hot liquids only....I had a slight overfill I think and ended up on liquids for a month (per dr instruction) and this actually helped...once you throw up you swell and you just keep circling....vomit....swell!! It's ugly :)

Hang in there!!! Oh and CONGRATS on the GREAT weight loss!! I am impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -87lbs :)

Leigh Ann, you have done an amazing job with your weight loss!

I would highly recommend you have a partial or complete unfill for a little while and let your body rest. You are not going to start packing the pounds back on as long as you remember what you have learned about the right way to eat, and if you do start to gain, you can get refilled. But it sounds like you need a little break.

Sorry to hear you aren't doing too well. Congrats on the success.

How much saline do you have in your band? Have you thought about anxiety medications? Many of us (including myself) are on it. My tummy seems to get emotional with me too.

Best wishes!