Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK I need help-I finally Quit.

Good for you, Seppi!! You can do this and your band will help you with the weight. Come here to vent when the urges get too strong.

Thanks everyone, I am so happy that I am doing this and I am not eating everything in sight.

I have been trying to quit smoking for a year. I quit for two months and gain weight so right back to the cigs. I have again quit and I am determined to not start again. The problem I am having is weight gain. I was banded almost 2 years ago and lost 70lbs in a year. Since I started to work on the smoking I have gained about 30lbs back. I had an endo appointment yesterday and he said "maybe what you need is the full by-pass". I am pretty freaked out about it, but I am also scared that if I continue to gain weight I will start smoking again. I do not want to gain back everything I lost.

My band is as tight as I dare get it. I currently throw up about 5-6 times a week and when it was tighter it was worse. I am not sure what I am going to do yet????? I could sure use some advise.

Dawn

Hey Dawn!! Good to see you! You may need to have a slight unfill, don't you think? You really shouldn't be throwing up that regularly. You may have some issues with esophageal agitation/esophagitis, just due to the damage from throwing up so often. Some folks have had luck with backing off the fill for awhile, letting the band rest and coming back to fill again slowly. Have you had a barium swallow recently?

Keep us posted on how you're doing!! Long time no see!

Dawn,

I understand completely....When I quit smoking AGAIN I gained a bunch of weight and now I only limit myself to one or two cigs a day but I am not gaining anymore...I have tried the gum but that didn't work. I heard there was a new medication coming out that was supposed to be awesome but I don't think it is out yet. I hope it works better than the gum b/c that just made me crave nictotine more...;)

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/163/160

5'7''

one week is soooo awesome. You are well past the hardest part. You are doing the best thing. Just remember... you'll never have to quit again, as long as you NEVER take one puff. Tell yourself that no matter what.. Anything but smoking... If its important to you, you will do it. Just never ever take that first puff. You can't.. you don't smoke anymore. Quitting sucks. I'm 9 months, 24 days and 7 hours into my quit. ;) I was smoking 2-3 packs a day... for over 25 years. As for the gaining thing... I wish I could help more.. I failed there, but I won't smoke, its not an option. Now I just have to lose the weight... Thats why I came to this site, to get support for that. You can do this.. you can stay smoke free... We did, so can you. If you gain some now.. you can lose it. Don't take that first puff... then you'll never have to quit again. :D

HE HE Almost a month and I have been pretty good, had one little relapse but decided it wasn't worth it. I have gained 4 pounds but I know that I will take it off.

Dawn- Have you tried to come up with something to do instead. I have been chewing a lot of gum (I know I am making people nuts with my chomping) and have started to crochet, I am not very good but it keeps my hands busy and is kinda fun, seeing the blanket come along. Also I have been putting my cigarette money in a jar. I will spend it on myself when I hit 6 months. I really need this to be the last time I quit and I cannot gain any more weight. I tried to tell myself that if I gain I will start again but then I realized that I really don't want to start again.

I TOTALLY Understand how ya'll feel . I quit smoking about 2 months ago. I have smoked for 15 yrs . I started when i was 15.

I quit cold turkey when i was pregnant with my last son . This time I used the Patches and it helped ALOT . that and the fact that im on Wellbutrin anyway for my Migraines , So i think that helped take the edge off. A friend of mine who is a respritory therapist told me people who quit with patchs or smoking aids like that are more likely to NOT Start up again . So far i have not TOUCHED a cig since i quit. Frankly I have not wanted to. As for weight... well I dont know honestly if i have gained or not . I am not banded yet. I quit because of the surgery and I firgured IF Im going to gain wt from quitting I might as well do it BEFORE The band lol

Good luck to everyone who has quit and for those who are thinking about it ... JUST DO IT. I did not set a quit date, I just went to the store one day picked up a box of patches and threw away my smokes and i was DONE.

I have the LEAST amount of will power as anyone I know . SO IF I CAN DO IT YOU CAN TOO!

Mindy

I have been trying to quit smoking for a year. I quit for two months and gain weight so right back to the cigs. I have again quit and I am determined to not start again. The problem I am having is weight gain. I was banded almost 2 years ago and lost 70lbs in a year. Since I started to work on the smoking I have gained about 30lbs back. I had an endo appointment yesterday and he said "maybe what you need is the full by-pass". I am pretty freaked out about it, but I am also scared that if I continue to gain weight I will start smoking again. I do not want to gain back everything I lost.

My band is as tight as I dare get it. I currently throw up about 5-6 times a week and when it was tighter it was worse. I am not sure what I am going to do yet????? I could sure use some advise.

Dawn

Dawn , LIke i said in my post below, the Wellbutrin I think is what REALLY made my cravings less for the cigs AND its got an appetite suppressant in it .

Wellbutrin is the generice of zyban which is the quit smoking drug. If you take it as an antidepressant it keeps you level. VERY Little side affects if any . Also like i said the patchs. When I did feel like smoking ( and still do ) I chew regular wrigleys spearmint gum . Im telling ya I have had NO will power in the past with quitting. I do not think i have gained much wt either.

I just weighted myself and im maybe a pd or 2 more than i was a month or so ago. So GOOD LUCK . Check into the wellbutrin .

Mindy

Thank you everyone for your messages. I am on Wellbutrin and have been for almost a year. It helps with the cravings and helps with the hand to mouth disease. My problem is my metabolism. The endo said it must slow to a snails pace. I don't think I am eating any more then I was a year ago, but gaining weight. Not sure what I am going to do.

Hey Leatha it's great to see you too, it's been ages. The throwing up has been going on for almost the entire time I have been banded. I have had two swallow studies done and had the Fluid in my band removed. Nothing has helped. I am not sure I am going back to see the surgeon that did my band. He and I have a difference of opinion on a few subjects. Anyway I have a lot to decide about whether I want to have by pass or even attempt to take on the insurance company to have it done. I do know that I don't want to start smoking again and won't do it.

Dawn

PS:

Leatha,

I have not seen you around for ages, but wanted to let you know I met someone and he moved to MN this spring. We just got engaged on Labor Day. Not sure of a wedding date, but I am very happy. I hope things are going well in your life.

Dawn

Congrats! I too stopped smoking - its been almost two weeks...and I did it b/c I wanted to not have to worry about the biggest "co-moridity" of them all...I used zyban and even with my first fill on Friday, I am still able to take that...have a couple of weeks left of taking that to make sure the cravings are totally gone...i admire you so much for dealing with your cravings like you are...i am such a wuss - I knew I wouldn't be able to do it that way, so sought out the Rx help...

I have quit ( a lot and for extended periods ) before and I NEVER got to the point that I didn't want a smoke. I have decided this time that I have done so many things to get healthy -why am or should I say- was doing the worst possible thing In My Control. Some things that happen cannot be controlled but this I can beat. I will just do it. I hope that everyone else quitting is doing it for the last time too.

I have quit ( a lot and for extended periods ) before and I NEVER got to the point that I didn't want a smoke. I have decided this time that I have done so many things to get healthy -why am or should I say- was doing the worst possible thing In My Control. Some things that happen cannot be controlled but this I can beat. I will just do it. I hope that everyone else quitting is doing it for the last time too.

Its been close to 2 months for me now since I have quit and im no longer on patchs . I can say that I can think " I kind of wish I could smoke" then its gone. Or almost in habit think " Time for a cigerrette" then go "OH wait i dont smoke" I was at my parents today watching NASCAR with my dad , our usual Sunday deal, really for the first time since I quit and he would go outside and I went outside w/him while he smoked and had not urge. So its easier.

I think the "wanting" a cigrette is more of a habit deal , I use to smoke after I ate so I think of it sometimes becuase i feel like i SHOULD be doing that /

Does that make sense LOL

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE I Hope ya'll are still doing well .

:tape::gluck: