Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New, First Post, Saying Hi. :)

Hello everyone my name is John and I found this web site a few weeks back but just not posting. I have been doing a lot of reading.

Little about me:

I am 27, I weight around 360lb and ill be having my second first meeting Wed. I started talking to a doctor about 2 ½ years ago and was doing well. About half way through everything I talked myself out of it and convinced myself I didn’t need surgery. I lost weight on my own once before I should be able to do it again (When I was 22 I lost 120lbs in 6 months). I realized after the fact that I had a lot more time for the gym and other things then I do now. I work long hours on the night shift and it is hard trying to fit in time. Feels like all I do is eat, sleep, and work.

My family is very supportive. Mom and grand mom have been pushing me in this direction for years. My Dad is on the fence about it but I don’t really think he knows what it all means. He asks a lot of questions. Brother could care less.

For friends only a few friends know. They are split half and half. Most of them just make jokes about me having a big head on a small body and ill look weird. One of them worries I won’t be my joy happy self any more.

Any other people from Baltimore, Maryland?

Hope I stick with it this time.

Any way Hello everyone. J

Hi John, welcome!!! I had surgery last week and I dont regret it. Hope everything works out for you. Good luck.

Hi John.

I had surgery on June 26 this year and I do not regret it either. And neither will you. I tried and tried to lose weight on my own. I would get to certain point and then nothing, I stopped losing and could not figure out why. It got very frustrating. I started my journey to a new and most improved me on January 30.. I weighed 289lbs. By surgery date I weighed 277 1/2lbs. Today, I am at 223 1/2. Nope no regrets. Bumps along the way but that was expected.

You've made the decision. You'll stick with it and enjoy the rewards of feeling great. Not out of breath everytime you take a walk (I know did). You come to right place, VST will be here for you. So welcome aboard. :)

Hi John. Thanks for introducing yourself.

I had friends make snide comments, and although it discouraged me a little, deep down I knew I had to do this for myself. Just do your research and make sure you are prepared for the good, bad, and indifferent.

Don't worry, your head will shrink too (hopefully LOL) & not only will you be your happy self, you will be better! The confidence of walking into a room knowing people are not talking about your size, eliminating those self-conscious acts, and being able to sit and shop where ever you like...man...It's worth it! It's freedom in its truest form.

Good luck to you on your journey. I look forward to future posts on your progess.

Hi John, welcome:). I'm almost two months out and so far loving my sleeve and the weight loss. I've lost a lot of weight before but never seem to be able to keep it off. That is where my sleeve will be the tool for me to keep this new weight loss off. I didn't want judgements so I didn't let a lot of people know about my surgery. You'll learn such great info here...glad to have you join us:)

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I am one of them people that are very open and let the jokes slide off even know it does start to hurt after awhile. I tend to make the jokes about myself so others don’t.

I am also tired of hearing my female friends say they wish they can find a guy like me. But they really mean they want a guy like me but not over weight and looks good so they look good. That stings a lot.

But the main reason I want to do this is for my health since on my dad's sides heart attacks run all over the place. My dad has had 5 in the last 4 years and a few of my uncles and aunts passed from them. So health wise I need to loose the weight.

John, the surgery will help you get back on track health wise. As for the women, they may say one thing AND mean another, but rest assured, when SleevenJohn (I just made that up) is where (that meaning you) he wants to be those same women will wish their brain cells never form those thoughts. It will be their lost. B)

Hi "Sleeven-John" - (i saw that last post-its a cute nick name from Junior - hee)

I too am new to this and am where you are... I have been considering when I am gonna commit and do this thing. I have finally decided I am going to do it!! So excited I made my decision. I have been postponing it, but the more I learn and read, it makes such sense for us to do this. I have some scarey thoughts about what it will be like afterwards, but those are just worries, I'm sure the good will outweigh the bad in the end. Our life is gonna improve sooo much in so many areas. I wish you well... :)

Leigh Ann

Thanks everyone.

The one good thing I have going is most of my stuff is done from the first time and I am still in the 3 year window. Also I been seeing a weight docotor for the last 3 months and from what I have been told that will count towards my 6 visits. lets hope it does.

I am aiming for Some time around March of 2013 (let hope the world doesnt end).

Leigh Ann,

How far in are you? and congrats.

Thank you!

I am just beginning-although I've been thinking about it for prob a year.... I've gone to their seminar, and been to a support group and got alot of good answers there. Tonight I'm fillling out my paperwork and next step is consult w/the doctor-then psych, nutritionist and I'm off for the surgery!!

What are your major concerns about this? I think mine might be what I will be eating after the surgery-I've heard we may not have anything but liquids/shakes/broths for up to a month and one report said it may be up to 12 weeks!!! Wha??? Is that true? I'm sure I can ask the doc when I go for my consult, but just wondering if you knew?? Also I'm alittle concerned about staying hydrated- have you heard anything about that?

Thanks,

Leigh Ann

To tell you the truth I am not to worried about the surgery at all. I have had surgery before for many of thing. I broke my nose in 3 spots and was driving to the beach the next morning after the stuffing was taken out. So ill be fine with any pain that comes along.

Eating wise I been there done that. I lived off Protein shakes and bars for 6 months when I lost all my weight on my own once before. Keeping it off is a different story.

Haven’t heard anything about being de-hydrated at all, but I guess its just like anything else. I drink 6-8 bottles of Water a day as is so ill be fine there as well.

I guess the only thing I have to be worried about is my mom and grand mom wanting to buy me new cloths that I don’t like or wanting to go shopping with me. Ill go crazy if that happens.

From what I know from my doctor is that I do a week before hand and up to 2 weeks after then start on soft food then from there solid food.

I would say got to GNC and buy some different Protein powders. They allow you to return them if you don’t like the taste of them. Best way to go is buy the week long bags of it and taste them. Find out what one you like the best. From there you can use the protein mix in a lot of different types of meals later on after the liquid part is over.

It will work out. The hard part is waiting at least for me it is.

Thank you- I feel better- You're right, I'm not gonna worry-It will be fine... Good Info- I will go to GNC and see. Thanks again!

:rolleyes:

I guess the only thing I have to be worried about is my mom and grand mom wanting to buy me new cloths that I don’t like or wanting to go shopping with me. Ill go crazy if that happens.

Isn't that great to think though that soon that will be your biggest worry? No more worrying "can I do this, can I sit there?". My family members would say "well you'll probably have a lot of extra skin" but ya know, if my biggest complaint is having a little extra skin, it sure beats worrying about health problems and being miserable! You keep trucking on, this forum is filled with people going through the same things! :)

Isn't that great to think though that soon that will be your biggest worry? No more worrying "can I do this, can I sit there?". My family members would say "well you'll probably have a lot of extra skin" but ya know, if my biggest complaint is having a little extra skin, it sure beats worrying about health problems and being miserable! You keep trucking on, this forum is filled with people going through the same things! :)

True but you dont know them lol. I lost a bunch of weight before and I didnt have any extra skin. hoping its the same this time.